Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for future reference and for anyone else interested.

But I was wondering, since pitbull type dog breeds and some bully breeds(I don't remember which) are known for dog aggression. I was just curious, if there were any pittie type breeds or bully breeds that have less tendency to have dog aggression? I plan on having at least 2-3 dogs in my house as long as I live.lol.

I know no matter the breed, their is a chance of having some aggression. I like the looks of APBTs and ASTs. I was reading a thread on here about how a bloodline or breed was having the dog aggression bred out of it. I am just curious which bloodline or breed would have a lesser chance of being dog aggressive? Also would it be better to get a dog from a good breeder or go with a rescue(I may just go with rescue) and go with a Pitbull Mix(Whats with Pitbull/Lab mix anyways? I see them alot, just curious what people are trying to accomplish by breeding these 2 breeds.)

I have seen pitties and bullies get along well with other breeds just fine, so I would like to know what is best.

Anyways, I am using this as future reference. Any advice and information is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
(ABKC) Bully's have been breed to be non-agressive, but there is still always that chance with any type of pitbull. Bullys are the ones you are referring to though.

Are you looking for anything in particular? Theres plenty of bully rescues, ABKC even has a new class to show your bully rescue. Its a Save-a-bull class.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is ABKC?

I would mostly want a companion, I will do obedience, rally and have the dog become a therapy dog(remember future reference. I can't own a "pitbull" right now because of my family's insurance.). What type of bully breeds would be best?

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
What is ABKC?

I would mostly want a companion, I will do obedience, rally and have the dog become a therapy dog(remember future reference. I can't own a "pitbull" right now because of my family's insurance.). What type of bully breeds would be best?
ABKC (American Bully Kennel Club) They are pitbulls breed to be shorter, wider, muscular, blocked head pieces. Bullys usually consist of American Staff(AKC) breed with APBT(UKC) or in some cases American Bulldogs.
The American Bully Registry

Most of the ABKC dogs are dual registered with UKC

AKC, UKC, & ABKC are different dog registries. You might say what the importance to them is, well its very significant. Breeders breed to the standard of the Registry. For instance, ABKC has their bully standards different than the AKC. The AKC AM Staffs, usually are only permitted to have black noses, or certain type of body type.

In one case, an owner was told he couldnt have pitbulls, but took the county to court, and proved his dogs were american bullys. He was allowed to keep them. I think it was in Florida. not sure.

We have a bully section, you might want to check out, and get a general impression. I will be happy to guide you to what bully suits you, as there a wide variety of bloodlines, distinctions, and classes.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Bully's are touted as being less dog aggressive, thought the ones I run across while doing shot fairs sure haven't gotten the memo. We have more issues with them (mostly because they are heavier and bigger, all seem to be on harnesses and many of the owners seem to be oblivious to that fact their dog is serious about getting at the dog next to him in line and not 'posturing') Luckily, most of the ones I see are pretty overweight and tire quickly, so after being in line for an hour (if they aren't removed to the 'quiet area') are pretty wiped out.
Point being, getting a bully is no guarantee, nor is getting a dog from otherwise 'cold' lines, though research into how the dog is bred can help stack the odds.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
I suggest you attend an ABKC show. 95% of the bullies there are well behaved, and show little to no agression towards others. Not to mention there is a little over 50 dogs there on leashes.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Theres no type of "Pit Bull", theres only one and thats the American Pit Bull Terrier.. If you are a novice, which i can see you are based on your questions alone, the best breed IMO if you are attempting a multiple "bulldog" home would be either the American Bully or the Staffordshire Bull Terrier..

The American Bully is the only "type" of Bully, while DA does run through AmBullies in general, its less "extreme" or "intense" as the APBT and a huge difference is lack of drive associated with DA.. There will never be a "game American Bully" as that is not the purpose instilled in those dogs, rather its companionship and show qualities.

Any of the breeds with pit fighting in the history has the potential of being DA however one of the most common is of course the APBT as pit fighting is still going on legally and illegally around the world.. It was the purpose of the breed (in modern form) and unlike other breeds, still thrives.

Naturally, if you are inexperienced youd only be setting yourself up for disaster... And for your dogs to fail.. Even the most experienced have occasional accidental yard fights.. For a novice, its only ten fold..

You also have to ask yourself why you want another dog and why an APBT.. If you are not working them (legally) than whats the point in owning a world class worker? If you are looking for companionship above all, rescue a mutt or go with a breed designed to be just that.. An AmBully.

Reactions: EckoMac

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
Theres no type of "Pit Bull", theres only one and thats the American Pit Bull Terrier.. If you are a novice, which i can see you are based on your questions alone, the best breed IMO if you are attempting a multiple "bulldog" home would be either the American Bully or the Staffordshire Bull Terrier..

The American Bully is the only "type" of Bully, while DA does run through AmBullies in general, its less "extreme" or "intense" as the APBT and a huge difference is lack of drive associated with DA.. There will never be a "game American Bully" as that is not the purpose instilled in those dogs, rather its companionship and show qualities.

Any of the breeds with pit fighting in the history has the potential of being DA however one of the most common is of course the APBT as pit fighting is still going on legally and illegally around the world.. It was the purpose of the breed (in modern form) and unlike other breeds, still thrives.

Naturally, if you are inexperienced youd only be setting yourself up for disaster... And for your dogs to fail.. Even the most experienced have occasional accidental yard fights.. For a novice, its only ten fold..

You also have to ask yourself why you want another dog and why an APBT.. If you are not working them (legally) than whats the point in owning a world class worker? If you are looking for companionship above all, rescue a mutt or go with a breed designed to be just that.. An AmBully.
:goodpost:

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Best type of Bullie or Pittie for multi-dog home?

FOR THE AVERAGE OWNER JUST WANTING A COMPANION FOR THEIR DOG.. ANSWER -- NONE

Get a lab..

Reactions: EckoMac

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

Actually I know there is not a type of "pitbull" as I volunteer for a rescue and shelter see many dogs that the general public would consider a "pitbull", yet I know they are just bully mixes of some sort. I don't think any are purebred APBTs. Sorry if I worded that wrong, but I do know that "pitbull" is not the correct term.

Also I don't expect to have a completely dog aggression free home, as I would expect some aggression. I have read up a bit on APBTs and realized they weren't for me, as I said I liked the looks of them, And also I would put my dogs in dog sports like agility, obedience, rally, and get them to be therapy dogs and also go out to play and good walks and exercise.. Of course its not really "work", but they won't be stuck at home all the time. I wouldn't just have only "bully" dog home I would have different breeds. But no more than 2 dogs. I have met and known of dogs going into homes with other dogs of other breeds.

Also, before I would get these dogs I would read up as much as I can. I like the more agile and slender build of the APBT because of the fact I want to do agility with them and other dog sports. Also, I would most definitely consider going with a rescue.

But thank you for the information, very insightful and helpful. I will defiantly look into American Bulldogs. I read they are known to be very dominate. Is this true? Just curious how and what they really mean by it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Best type of Bullie or Pittie for multi-dog home?

FOR THE AVERAGE OWNER JUST WANTING A COMPANION FOR THEIR DOG.. ANSWER -- NONE

Get a lab..
I would have to disagree with this. I have seen people who own pitties or bullies with other dogs and have no problems. I have seen someone adopt out a "pit mix" who already had a doberman at home. I have seen a woman with her "pit mix" or APBT and Jack Russell Terrier. So yes, I would think there are exceptions to the rule. I also wouldn't say a Lab is a better choice, as I have seen some Labs that don't like other dogs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ABKC (American Bully Kennel Club) They are pitbulls breed to be shorter, wider, muscular, blocked head pieces. Bullys usually consist of American Staff(AKC) breed with APBT(UKC) or in some cases American Bulldogs.
The American Bully Registry

Most of the ABKC dogs are dual registered with UKC

AKC, UKC, & ABKC are different dog registries. You might say what the importance to them is, well its very significant. Breeders breed to the standard of the Registry. For instance, ABKC has their bully standards different than the AKC. The AKC AM Staffs, usually are only permitted to have black noses, or certain type of body type.

In one case, an owner was told he couldnt have pitbulls, but took the county to court, and proved his dogs were american bullys. He was allowed to keep them. I think it was in Florida. not sure.

We have a bully section, you might want to check out, and get a general impression. I will be happy to guide you to what bully suits you, as there a wide variety of bloodlines, distinctions, and classes.
I won't be getting another dog for a while. My family's insurance won't allow us to own "pitbulls", and I have no idea what they would consider a "pitbull".

Are there more athletic type of bullies? I guess a American Bulldog is actually best for me.

I would think an American Bulldog would be excluded from breed restrictions, but I highly doubt so as the incident you described. But it sucks :/ How did he prove they were American Bullies?(Do you mean American Bulldogs?)

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
No, they are a American Bullies by definition of ABKC, American Bully Kennel Club.
http://theabkcdogs.org/breeds/american-bully/standard/

DISQUALIFICATIONS
Displaying or possessing aggressive behavior towards humans

Theyre athletic just like any other dog that gets exercised daily.

I dont want to be an A-hole, but it seems to me as your asking for information about something irrelevant.

If you get a shelter dog, that is mixed, it can be much more aggressive than a purebred APBT. Why you say? The dogs genes are compiled of many other dogs, these other dogs can be guard dogs, GS, ROTT, HUSKY, or CHOW. The dogs i just mentioned have much more aggression towards humans than an APBT just an FYI.

When you say this dog is not for you, but yet you have a K9, the size of a horse, that is breed specifically to be a man stopper. Sorry that is irrelevant to me.

Insurance doesnt mean nothing because your insurance has already been violated by you owning the GS. DA can be avoided by proper training, and crating.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
No, they are a American Bullies by definition of ABKC, American Bully Kennel Club.
http://theabkcdogs.org/breeds/american-bully/standard/

DISQUALIFICATIONS
Displaying or possessing aggressive behavior towards humans

Theyre athletic just like any other dog that gets exercised daily.

I dont want to be an A-hole, but it seems to me as your asking for information about something irrelevant.

If you get a shelter dog, that is mixed, it can be much more aggressive than a purebred APBT. Why you say? The dogs genes are compiled of many other dogs, these other dogs can be guard dogs, GS, ROTT, HUSKY, or CHOW. The dogs i just mentioned have much more aggression towards humans than an APBT just an FYI.

When you say this dog is not for you, but yet you have a K9, the size of a horse, that is breed specifically to be a man stopper. Sorry that is irrelevant to me.

Insurance doesnt mean nothing because your insurance has already been violated by you owning the GS. DA can be avoided by proper training, and crating.
I found your post rather rude, insulting, and offensive.

What I am asking is not irrelevant.
I don't know where you got the idea of me saying anything about human aggression. I am talking about dog aggression in this thread. I know APBTs and other bully breeds are NOT supposed to show human aggression. So I don't know where you are getting the idea I brought up human aggression at all.

Also, that part I bolded can't be farther from the truth. As someone who volunteers at a rescue and shelter and owns 2 GSDs and one that is from a shelter, shelter dogs are NOT more aggressive. Also GSDs are NOT known to be more human aggressive, yes aloof, but NOT human aggressive, that is NOT a trait in GSDs. Neither are Huskies nor Rotties.Huskies make HORRIBLE guard dogs, and are NOT supposed to be human aggressive. Rotties have a guard dog history yes, but I don't think they are bred or known for human aggression.I have known and met both. That is also false. Please go learn those breeds before spreading misinformation. As someone who talks to other people who own GSDs, and breeders of GSDs(responsible breeders) they will not say those things.My GSDs are NOT aggressive towards humans, especially my shelter dog, whom I care about very much and are NOT aggressive at all. GSDs are supposed to be aloof. So yes in a way I found your post as an attack on my dogs, which I don't take very lightly.

Now for the seconded bolded part. My dogs are NOT the size of horses.How rude! GSDs are supposed to be a MEDIUM sized breed of dog. I have yet to meet a GSD the size of a horse.And also GSDs were NOT bred to be man stoppers. Yes they are used in police and military, but they were NOT bred to be just that. They were bred to be a all-around sound working dog that is also a great companion. Please go learn about the breed before spreading false information.

Also, my family is NOT violating our insurance at all. We are allowed to GSDs. We just can't own Dobermans, Rottweilers, or "Pitbulls".We asked before we got our first GSD if we were able to have one and they said yes as long as it wan't a Doberman, Rottweiler or "Pitbull". Do NOT go and start saying things I did not say. DA can avoided by prorper training yes, but crate training I would say that depends on the dog. But I believe in some cases it is genetics. Also I did NOT say this breed wasn't for me, I said APBTs. I did NOT say American Bulldogs, nor other bullies. I was only saying APBTs weren't for me.

Sorry if I sound really offended, thats because I am, or sound harsh(I don't mean to be.). I am just trying to learn more about a breed that I am passionate about, and I get my other favorite breed basically degraded(GSDs are on the BSL hitlist too). I may come off as little hard to understand of what I want. I know APBTs, and bully breeds are known to be DA and it shouldn't be a surprised. I am pretty much trying to find the best bully breed is for me, basically a general idea of what I want for when I do get a dog that is of this kind. This is for future reference as I said in first post, I am NOT getting a dog right now for a while(and that goes for ANY dog). I would love to get a bully breed dog in the future. I am trying to learn all I can right now.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I would have to disagree with this. I have seen people who own pitties or bullies with other dogs and have no problems. I have seen someone adopt out a "pit mix" who already had a doberman at home. I have seen a woman with her "pit mix" or APBT and Jack Russell Terrier. So yes, I would think there are exceptions to the rule. I also wouldn't say a Lab is a better choice, as I have seen some Labs that don't like other dogs.
K9Jessie...(not being rude but) before you start responding to the more educated pit bull owners on this forum I would go through the old threads and stickies to further educate yourself. KMdogs and Heavyjeep are both extremely educated and have owned pit bulls for years as well as many others on this forum. Pit bulls or "pitties" as you put it are not for anyone and everyone. Pit bull mixes can still be highly DA and shelters should be more willing to educate and show concern if the person already owns another dog. DA can show up at anytime and this breed should never be left unattended with other dogs when the owner isn't home. I'm sure you think pit bull breeds are okay to go to dog parks to? Sure there can be exceptions that pit bulls or mixes will never show DA but it's not something that should be overlooked. You can't change the genetics of this breed and what they were bred to do. Pure APBT's are fighting dogs and though you can manage DA it can't be trained out of them. Any dog can be DA but you can't ignore the pit bulls genetic makeup. I've seen lots of DA breeds pure and mixed ;)

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Bull breeds are hard to have in multi dog homes. Even the American bulldog would be hard to own with the GSD. Bulldogs are bred and have been for hundreds of years to be a fighting dog with no quit. It is possible to do as long as you know that you must be very careful. I have four dogs one amstaff APBT cross two APBT and one bully. The thing you have to remember is no matter how well the get along things can get bad fast. so never get complacent.

American bulldogs are a powerful dog so just be careful when rescuing one. And be very picky. I know a great number of people who work these dogs in protection sports, and even personal protection, so selective breeding can produce HA dogs to a degree.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
FYI many bully breeds similar to APBTs are also issues on insurance. Is suggest you research that first with your family if you haven't. I'd you want a calmer, laid back dog who gets along with everything, I would suggest looking at adult rescues or adults being placed by responsible breeders who have those qualities no matter which breed.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts