Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
So when Betsy came home with us she was pretty good about not peeing on the carpet. She'd wait till we walked her. Last nite, she peed in the carpet and pooped too. Then this morning she peed again on the carpet. This morning's incident might have been my fault because she did come up to me to let me know she needed to go outside and I just took too long to get dressed. But besides that, I also started giving her dog vitamins. Could this cause her to go pee a lot too?? Should I crate train her??

THX!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
i crate train all my dogs regardless of breed.

·
Medal polisher for kg420
3,056 Posts
So when Betsy came home with us she was pretty good about not peeing on the carpet. She'd wait till we walked her. Last nite, she peed in the carpet and pooped too. Then this morning she peed again on the carpet. This morning's incident might have been my fault because she did come up to me to let me know she needed to go outside and I just took too long to get dressed. But besides that, I also started giving her dog vitamins. Could this cause her to go pee a lot too?? Should I crate train her??

THX!
I"M glad "IM not the only one going through this. I FEEL YA PAIN!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I would crate train. I have done it for my pup, when no one is home to watch her she stays in the crate. Less likely to pee in there. I have left her there way too long and she has which isn't her fault.

At 16 weeks, we haven'tr had an accident inside in a while.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
The thing about her peeing in the carpet, you have to remove the scent or she is going to back to the same spot again. Crating is a must !!

·
Registered
761 Posts
i never use crates, its not impossible to get the dog to know whats allowed and not allowed, you just have to wether the consequences. like occasional pee stains, or mayb a destroyed cushion. but after 2 years both of my dogs know that they arent supposed to eat my stuff, or pee on my stuff. and they dont do it

·
Registered
761 Posts
to add, you do have to seperate multiple pit's or even the nicest of dogs will surprise you with gashes or worse when you get home.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I started when my Pits were Pups to take them out like 15 minutes after they ate then, three hours later and PRAISE them when they went to the bathroom.I would bring them to the SAME spot where they went for their scent.I was working so, I was able to have someone come over to take him out.I worked from 7AM -3.I woke up took out Dog fed him took him out then he went in his crate.Friend came over 12 took him out for awhile, walked him , put back in crate.I got home at 3 took him out walked him for awhile, fed him took him out 15 mins later praised him when he went.Another 2-3 hours walked him agin before bed.I did not have a fenced in yard so, I did alot of walking which actually was good for him and myself.Now, I have two Pits in a 6 foot wood fenced in yard but,I bring them to a park twice a week and walk..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is all great news. I know I must weather the consequences that come with having ANY dog. I have to figure out how to get her trained before my wife goes back to work fulltime because at that point it will be 8 hr days of no supervision and I'd hate to keep her in the crate that long. Thank you guys!

·
Registered
761 Posts
i wouldnt recommend putting a young puppy in a crate for more then 4 hours, their bladder cant last that long lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
you could try to take her out more often and then cut back the number of times you let her out so her body can adjust and the vitamins if they cause her to drink mor water then yea she is going to pee more

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
How old is she?

No, the vits wont make her pee more but more intake of water will. what I did when i was potty training Riley was remove water an hour before bed and take her out to piddle. I had an internal clock and would wake up everyday at the same time, (the time she needed to go out) every 2 to 3 hours I would force myself to get up and take her out. Mind you she had accidents but at 4 months she stopped peeing in the house and whined whenever she had to go out. She is 8 months now and when the doggy door is closed at night she will go over and whine. She lets me know she needs to go out.

Idk, tho, I never had to crate her. she slept with me and still does.
Crate is a good idea tho, it gives the dog its own space and they wont mess in their bed if they go out on the times needed.

1. introduce the crate and puppy, "puppy crate, crate puppy" haha, let the pup smell and enter it. don't force her in it and close the door. you want her to go in on her own. you can have a yummy treat waiting her when she goes in to give a possitive memory of the crate. do this a few times and once she is comfortable close the cage and count to 10, open it again and repeat, stretch the time out between the closing and opening. this way she starts to get the picture.

2. the first few days are rough, the puppy will chew, claw or even whine to be with you. ignore it the more you ignore it the more the pup will realize you wont come when she whines. BUT once she stops open the cage and praise her, you want to let her know that being quiet will be the key to her getting let out. (if it helps...when she whines take her outside to see if she needs to potty. if not go back to the crate and placeher in it and walk away.)
If it also helps when you have her in there freeze some peanut butter in a kong and give it to her. this will distract her for awhile.

3. depending on how old she is she could be left in there for 3 hours at the most for a baby (8 weeks old) and and every month of how old the pup is determines the bladder and how much she can hold at one time. my pup at 8 months can go all night most nights without going.

again, i have never crated Riley but I have with my first pit Monroe and again with my last dog Anubis

if you have time to spend and the patience none crating works just as well but expect to be picking up and scrubing carpets for a few months.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
195 Posts
ok. She is almost 2 years old. She slept inside of a truck before we got her so that was kind of like a crate for her. Like I sad she did very well the first 3 weeks until now. Either way, she needs to learn that peeing on my carpet is not civilized and will get her nowhere with my wife.......she's upset right now.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
If she had it down and she "forgot" then you should reprimand as she had already learned. She is old enough to be able to hold it. How often are you taking her out? She can't hold it all day, to be honest 8 hours alone is alot even for an adult dog and she might not make it.

You NEED to take her out and praise when she goes outside(I use treats), always take her to the same spot. My pup now pulls to the same spot and instantly pee's every morning.

Crate your dog when u aren't home and take her out to pee immediately after she gets out of her crate, they don't like to pee if they have to stay on top of it so you can be sure she's holding it in.

My pup hasn't had an accident in 3 weeks, she is 4 months old. Just make sure you take her out so she doesn't have to go inside.

Lastly, when you do catch her, try and startle her so she doesn't finish and immediately take her outside. If you aren't catching her in the act then you aren't watching her as you should during house training. Do not let your eyes off her until she has learned, even if it means leashing her to stay next to you.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I consider myself lucky that my 4 month old can hold it all night while she sleeps. it would suck if I had to wake up mid night to take her out lol.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
ok. She is almost 2 years old. She slept inside of a truck before we got her so that was kind of like a crate for her. Like I sad she did very well the first 3 weeks until now. Either way, she needs to learn that pissing on my carpet is not civilized and will get her nowhere with my wife.......she's "pissed" right now.
Use the crate method, it will save your carpet and help train the dog.
was she abandoned in the truck? if so....She most likely went in the truck if she didn't get out. I'm not sure, I don't know your dogs story so it is a guess.
Just try the crate and see how it goes

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
Crating is the perfect solution for dogs/puppies that will not be monitored for long periods of time or when your busy around the house. Go back to step one in potty training while introducing the crate in to your routine. I would never recommend even letting the most well behaved dog an entire place to themselves when no ones home , you just never know when they decided something seems like fun to chew on. Why even take the chance and end up with a very sick dog and a costly vet bill because they ate the couch or some other toxic item. But thats just my way of thinking. Better safely in a crate.
8 hrs for an adult dog is not long , people do it every day.
If she continues to pee in the house , has she been to the vet lately? She can possibly have some sort of urinary infection ...Just a thought ...
Good luck and much patience ...

·
Banned
774 Posts
i got one house traind but he came like that kilo is crate trained but when it comes to the house if u aint watching her shes going to go when she needs to

1 - 20 of 29 Posts