Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am sick of hearing about people who want pits for guard dogs. sure people might back off your house because of the appearence of an apbt but they arent the greatest guard dogs. dont get me wrong they will do what they need to when the moment is right but why pits?? most would rather greet an intrudor. i heard of a person who got a pit just cuz "they are tough agressive dogs" well she got the pit found out hed rather play with everystranger he met then show his teeth at them so she thought he had some kind of defect so she gave him to the pound!! she went through three different pits before realizing shes better off with a rottie!! im glad i didnt personally know this person cuz things between us woulda got heated!!! i feel this is a problem for manny other pits who end up in the pound. there has to be a way to stop this from happening

·
Registered
429 Posts
Your not alone. The problem is that most people don't know how friendly Pits really are. Its not the the general public that freaks out and is scared when they see one, its the people who want them for the wrong reasons. They believe Pits are just like they hear (mean, aggressive, ect) and they want one for that reason. Then to their surprise they find out otherwise. I knew someone just like the person you know, it was beyond frustrating and I even tried to explain, just had to learn for their self. The drug dealers also get them and when the police raid sometimes the dog(s) are aggressive but more often then not they are wagging their tails happy to see people. Stupid people! Too bad for that Rottie, she isn't sounding like responsible dog owner and I'm sure any dog is better off without her. Rottweilers need responsible owners also and they still have a bad rep as well, frankly people like her need not own dogs period.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
The media doesn't help any either when they portray pitbulls as mean and agressive dogs.

I think that if a person gives up a dog to a pound for any other some stupid reason then they should be allowed to ave another dog. I just met a person that bought a springer puppy he told me had one but it ran out on the road and was killed by a car. When I asked if he was going to tie this one since he was close to the hi-way he said no the puppy should just stay off the road. I asked what he would do if it also got killed and he said they would just get another. A dog was nice to have around. Stupid a$$ people. To bad I was at work I would have loved to have chewed him out.

·
Windbag Extrodinaire.
3,303 Posts
Well not only do they make lousy guard dogs, Me myself I'm not a big fan training them for personal protection. I have discussed this topic with a LOT of people and they all seem to justify it but at the end of the day I still think it's a bad idea..

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree.. When people see us walking down the street they instantly move over or stare at us. BUt I don't think they make good guard dogs. I mean the first thing wolfie does when he see a person is wag his tail. If people would just give them a chance they will see how gentle they can be.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I remember the first day we got Maggie, we were walking down an old bridge and every person that was on our side of the bridge quickly moved to the other side when they realized she was a pit. It bothered me but now I think of it as, they dont realize what a great dog their missing out on.

And the same thing with Elmo, everyone is deathly afraid of him because he is brindle and that color seems to scare people. Well hes just a big ol' cuddle bug. When you pet Maggie and not him he droops his head and looks up at you with his eyes and its the perfect "puppy dog eyes" face! lol all our dogs wanna do is cuddle and give kisses and run around the house being big ol' babies and just being plain out silly!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts