Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THIS WAS COPIED AND PASTED FROM CL
This rescue is NOT a legitimate rescue. I was recently involved in rescuing a dog from them that was almost STARVED to death. The person who runs it, an 18 year old girl named Melissa, placed a pit bull in a foster home (where the dog lived outside only), and the dog almost died. She knew something was wrong, although she claims she wasn't responsible, the foster home was. She knew about the dog and that he was starving. She couldn't afford $34 to bring him to a vet to get him checked out. How can she pay for the vetting and behavioral problems that dogs might have when she can't afford a vet check??
She "rescued" the dog from the Pasco shelter and my rescue assisted her in doing so, after she told us she had donors in place and a wonderful pit bull experienced foster home. This is not just hearsay, we have proof, and I have outlined some of it below.

Here are quotes from her myspace page about "Quinn" the dog that was almost starved (the quotes are copied and pasted, as well as the times, these are exact quotes and an exact timeline):

Posted at 12:37 PM Jan 19 QUINN NEEDS A NEW FOSTER SITUATION IMMEDIATELY. HIS CURRENT SITUATION HAS CHANGED AND ITS HAVING A NEGATIVE EFFECT ON HIS HEALTH!

Posted at 3:05 PM Jan 20 Quinn may have a parasite. He needs to be taken to a vet ASAP. And if its neglect, he needs a different foster home ASAP.

Posted at 6:42 PM Jan 20 QUINN NEEDS A NEW FOSTER HOME IMMEDIATELY! ALL FOOD AND VET PAID FOR! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Posted at 2:15 PM Jan 25 Working really hard to get Quinn a foster home. He deserves so much better!

Posted at 12:20 AM Jan 27 Thursday is my last day babysitting... good thing I make more dog walking xD Can't wait to get Quinn to the vet. He worries me so much.

Posted at 12:29 PM Jan 28 Yay Quinn goes to a new foster home today. Im so excited for him :)

She knew Quinn was in trouble for 10 DAYS and she didn't do anything other than write about it on the internet! When I saw this my rescue stepped in and immediately took possession of him. He went to a vet THAT NIGHT and the vet said he wouldn't have lasted more than a couple more days. He was starved, dehydrated, emaciated, and covered in feces. His skin was stained brown from living in his own poop.
Melissa claims he must have had a parasite that made him so skinny. We did extensive fecals and testing on him, and he had nothing other than TRACES of Giardia. That is not enough to emaciate a dog.
If you notice from those pleas for a foster home, she says she'll provide all food and vet care. How will she do this when she can't even get him into the vet to be checked for a parasite??? She said numerous times that she could not afford to bring him to a vet! When we brought him in the vet said Quinn was "severely emaciated" and that it wasn't caused by any parasite, it was complete starvation. He also had almost no muscle mass left.

The foster home was NOT feeding the dog. Melissa KNEW that Quinn was in trouble, yet she did NOT remove him from the foster home!
We emailed her and confronted her about this. This is part of what she wrote back. Again, this is copied and pasted, so this is her "side" of the story. I've taken the name of the person she was referring to out, but it the person who took Quinn from her.

As I explained to ------, Quinn (the dog in question) was in a foster home. We did keep in contact with the foster mother and she always assured us that Quinn was fine. When I went over there and seen Quinn was getting very skinny, I immediately started looking for a new home. Also, as explained to -------, I was told Quinn was eating at least twice a day, bowls full of food. We (the foster mother and I) had come to the conclusion that Quinn had a parasite, and ------- was supposed to keep me updated on his recovery and how his tests results came back. It wasn't as if I left him there and didn't check up on him. When I seen how skinny he had gotten, I came straight back to my computer and started looking for a different foster home. Wether it was a virus or not, I wasn't sure I could completely trust the foster mother to be telling the truth about how much she was feeding him.

Melissa said herself she was checking on him. How then did she not know he was near death? She said that as soon as she saw he was getting skinny, she immediately started looking for a different foster home. Note that she did NOT remove him from the place he was being STARVED.
When a person RUNS a rescue and takes in dogs, they are then responsible for the care and wellbeing of those dogs. Melissa DID NOT do that. When a foster home is starving and neglecting a dog, the person in charge should IMMEDIATELY remove the dog from that person's care and into safety. She says she didn't have anywhere to put him and was looking for a different foster. When you RUN a rescue you get the dog out of that situation immediately and FIND somewhere to put him. She could have taken him to a vet (which she should have done anyway), she could have put him in boarding, she could have contacted other rescues (US!) and we would have helped. The only reason we found out about this was because we came upon a posting on craigslist pleading for a foster home and that he was sick!

I've put pictures of Quinn when he was at the shelter, and pictures of him the night we removed him from Melissa's care. The pictures speak for themselves.
We are in the process of charging Melissa, the foster home, and Central Washington Bully Breed Rescue with animal cruelty and neglect. We contacted Melissa and asked her to stop doing rescue, and here is another part of an email she sent.

I'm not sure what else to tell you. This was a one time case, and the irresponsible care was not cause by me - I did NOT have the dog, he was in fact, in foster care. If you would like me (and [his foster home]) to pay Quinn's vet bills for his rehabilitation (and/or make a fairly large donation to [our rescue]), that can be arranged. I don't think there is reason to take legal action in this case. I do feel sorry for Quinn, and that is why I gave him up when we couldn't find our own foster care. I would never do this to my won dogs (I have two, very healthy dogs). Why would I do it to another dog that has already been through so much?

Melissa has no business being in any part of animal rescue, let alone pit bull rescue. Pit Bulls are one of the hardest dogs to place in responsible homes, and they have a bad enough reputation without people who don't know what they're doing trying to "save" them. One of her previous dogs also had major food allergies that she thought was mange, but it was because of the crap, corn based food she was feeding him. In addition to the fact Quinn was starved, he was also living outside in his foster home. He was in a run, no heated doghouse, just some makeshift shelter. In WINTER. He has close to no hair, and he was living outside in WINTER. Once Quinn was placed in one of our foster homes and was fed, he began gaining weight immediately. He is now at a healthy weight, and we've only had him for 2 months. That in itself is proof that the reason Quinn was so skinny was because he wasn't being fed!

She cannot provide proper care for these dogs she is "rescuing," yet she continues to send emails out and posts on craigslist asking for help and foster homes. She is continuing to take in dogs, even after we presented her with all these facts. She has refused to take any responsibility for any of this.

If anyone has any questions about this or wants to see more proof and pictures please contact me. This is an airtight case and there is absolutely no excuse.
Again, the pictures below are before and after. Two of the pictures are from around the time Melissa took Quinn into her "rescue" and the other two were taken the night we took possession of him.

THIS IS SO SICK!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
o maaaaaan :( :( Hes just living off the muscle mass he barely has.. poor, poor boy.. So will she be charged with animal cruelty?

·
Registered
239 Posts
thats disgusting! poor pup i do hope she gets charged she needs to keep her irresponsible nose outta pits business and leave rescue work up to better people

·
Registered
411 Posts
OMG, how awful! How long did her "rescue" have that poor pup? Unbelievable the things people do to animals. I hope she's charged and convicted.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Jesus man how could you see a dog deteriorating and just write how concerned you are, DO SOMETHING about it r-tard. How this girl thought she was doing good for animals is beyond me. Some people just aren't responsible enough to care for an animal let alone start a so called "rescue" and I use that term VERY loosely. This kind of crap grinds my gears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts