Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... They have him as a Pit Bull mix... One of the more experienced staff was going to tell them to change it to English Mastiff/GSD or something like that.
He's not necessarily tall, he's just big overall, in just mass. He's got a pretty big neck too, he's not that fat so it's not just that. (The largest martingale hardly fit over his head.)
What do y'all think on the breed? Just trying to find something that'll fit closer to label him as.
(yes I'm fully aware of the whole, no paper, no guarantee,this is just to label a shelter dog to give people a better idea.)

No name still, come on y'all let's get some unique ideas. (I dislike commonly used names, gotta make these shelter dogs pop!) He was a nice boy, pulls like a freight train though, marked a lot, but has a lot of potential. Just needs someone who will put the time in to work with him.

The trainer holding him so I could get a picture, and for a size comparison, she's pretty tall. I'd put her around 6 foot.... She's very tall compared to me, then again I'm 5,2 lol This boy is taller than me when he stands up.

Sorry it's blurry, a dog walked by barking and he got excited.

Yaaaaay finally out of the kennels.

He patrolled the fences a lot...

Isn't he handsome? :love:

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I think GSD mix especially that 1st pic just the way the head looks and the way he seems to carry himself. Thats my Guess GSD mix.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Wow very handsome in any case. What about great Dane or something? I totally see a GSD as well though.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I wouldn't argue with mastiff/GSD. Great looking dog though.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Wow what a great looking guy!

GSD was my first thought as well. What a great head, I just wanna squeeze the hell out of it.

You should name him Zeus !

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
the coat and eyes reminds me of an african dog...cant remember the breeds name, but that and gsd would be my guess

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He got adopted! :D Woot!

English Mastiff/GSD was what I originally suggested since they're both common here, someone said I was nuts though, which is why I posted. lol. (although there is a Tosa breeder up here) Anyway, I'm just glad he got a home. Apparently the guy was a body builder, he went to a shelter and not the paper to get some "big tough purebred" byb dog, so hopefully he didn't have that tough guy look intention. Plus big dogs could use big owners that can actually control them. The trainer consulted with him and showed him that he had potential besides wanting to pee on everything. And said they seemed like nice folks. (Let's pray they are, general public tend to be quite... well .. y'all know)

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Nothing wrong with body builders or people who pursue the betterment of their physical condition :poke:

Did they tell you what they decided to name him? I think you should call and recommend Zeus! hahah.

Glad he got a new home - and fast too from the sound of it

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
For an unknown looks like he has some excellent structure, looks like a pretty solid looking dog. GSD/Mastiff is probably the best guess, who knows what could truly be in him but i can definitely see that type of mix..

Either way great he got adopted, hopefully will work him in some way.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing against them at all, but I've learned the hard way not to trust the general publics reason for things. I didn't say "he probably got the dog for an image" I said I hope he didn't. It's just a superstition that has developed over the 3 years working there.. I say stupid things quite often or word things that reflect in a way I don't mean them to.

I agree Km, from working with him I can say he'd probably go nuts without anything to do. Plus he's a whole lot of dog, and being as he was so frustrated in the yard wanting to go to everything he could really use some training to make him more eager to engage with whoever is handling him. He did improve a bit by the end, but it'll take a lot more than 1 20 minute session.
I'm hoping they decide to take the classes the shelter offers.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Nothing against them at all, but I've learned the hard way not to trust the general publics reason for things. I didn't say "he probably got the dog for an image" I said I hope he didn't. It's just a superstition that has developed over the 3 years working there.. I say stupid things quite often or word things that reflect in a way I don't mean them to.

I agree Km, from working with him I can say he'd probably go nuts without anything to do. Plus he's a whole lot of dog, and being as he was so frustrated in the yard wanting to go to everything he could really use some training to make him more eager to engage with whoever is handling him. He did improve a bit by the end, but it'll take a lot more than 1 20 minute session.
I'm hoping they decide to take the classes the shelter offers.
I see what your saying but you just have to keep an open mind.. Some people that may look like they are up to no good will surprise you tremendously with just a brief conversation.. Its all about talking, within a 5 - 10 minute conversation about what they are looking for, experience, intentions, etc you can generally sum up if they are in it for the right reasons or if something seems off.

Just because someone may be big and want a certain breed doesn't always put them in the "i want a big bad dog" category.. Just like someone who may fit the "description" of thug like appearance isn't always a thug.. Sure, in my opinion pants hanging down and wearing those hugely oversized shirt fads should die already (lol) but it is what it is.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like I said, stupid statement on my behalf and I don't really think that whenever I see those folks. I don't think it was as much his looks that made me make the stupid comment, but the combination of the look of the dog as well.

I know plenty of body builders who are awesome folks, in fact one owns a Standard Poodle. :p And he's awesome about caring for the dog.

·
Registered
96 Posts
German sheppard and pit. 10 years ago my girlfriend had a dog that looked identical to that and that's what it was. I had two 4 and 5 year old pitties at the time and next to each other it looked pit and next to a gsd it looked gsd

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ive actually had a very handsome boy who was a akita mix that looked just like him .. he is a very handsome boy in my opinion

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
He does look great! That's prob the best gsd mix that I've ever seen.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I would also go GSD/Mastiff. I see nothin pit at all lmao. Glad to hear he found a buddy and hopefully everything works out well in his new home.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts