Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance & I had taken in a rescue puppy, he is a 4 week old Pit Bull, Dai Ca, with that of course he doesn't have the proper learnings from his mother. My Pomeranian, Chanel, 9 months, isn't really well mannered when it comes to play, she can be a bit rough & because of this, Dai Ca has become a bit more rough. She doesn't really teach him "owe that hurts" she just gets rougher with him. They love each other, but I don't want him being this way when he gets older. What can we do to help with this?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
from what i hear you should never let you're dog/puppy play bite your hands ect. and only let them play with toys. is this true?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here's my 2 cents. First congrats and good luck w/ your puppy. 4 weeks is very young ( curious...do you have the pup on milk substitute?),...up to 8 weeks, as you mentioned, is when they learn bite inhibition from the dam. The pom is young, but maybe old enough to play foster mom. ( i'm sure others here know better than me). I had to take a couple of puppies very young ( it was me or the shelter), and played mr. mom, (my punctured hands and forearms were a witness), it can take a person a much longer time to teach a puppy to mouth softly than it takes another dog...While I think a mother would still be tolerating a 4 week olds' bites..it wouldn't be much longer before they started nipping back when the pup became obnoxious.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I do beleive that, you dont let your dog chew or play with things(your hands,shoes,etc) that you dont want them to chew on. If you play with them with your hands, well then they are going to see hands as their play toy and when you go to pet them or whatever they will chew or play bite your hands. They should only be giving items to play with that are their items. That way they know what they are allowed to play with and what they are not allowed to play with. I know a person that has played with their dogs with their hands and feet then when they want to walk or pet the dog it thinks its play time and bites the hands then the person wants to hit the dog for biting or chewing or chasing after their feet when they walk, and I tell him why hit the dog for something you have taught it to do!!! If you dont want it biting or chasing your feet dont teach it to play with them!!
Hope this helps
Angie

·
Registered
231 Posts
I do beleive that, you dont let your dog chew or play with things(your hands,shoes,etc) that you dont want them to chew on. If you play with them with your hands, well then they are going to see hands as their play toy and when you go to pet them or whatever they will chew or play bite your hands. They should only be giving items to play with that are their items. That way they know what they are allowed to play with and what they are not allowed to play with. I know a person that has played with their dogs with their hands and feet then when they want to walk or pet the dog it thinks its play time and bites the hands then the person wants to hit the dog for biting or chewing or chasing after their feet when they walk, and I tell him why hit the dog for something you have taught it to do!!! If you dont want it biting or chasing your feet dont teach it to play with them!!
Hope this helps
Angie
Thanks.
makes sense

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the links, these should be very helpful & the tips.

Yes that I've heard with all puppies, my Pom has a hard time determining what to go after sometimes, the toy, or the hand holding the toy.

Thank you, yes I have: Nutrience All Natural Milk Replacer for Puppies & Royal Canin Starter Mousse for Puppies. So even though my Pom doesn't look like she's teaching, she actually could be? He is pretty good with "no" in a baby like voice, my voice is really soft, kid like my fiance says, so he seems to listens to that. But I know it's not enough

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
**Sorry my n key keeps sticking.

Enroll the puppy in a puppy class when he gets older. You should be looking for a class which has lots of play time with other puppies as this will help teach the puppy that while his playmate at home may allow rougher play, not every other puppy/dog they meet will accept it. I've got a ew puppy at home (an aussie) ad she loves to play rough with her older brother Kane (in my icon), but I'm erolling her in puppy classes so she kows that while he'll tolerate it with no problem, other dogs wo't.

As your puppy gets older, he'll start losig his "puppy licence" and your pomeraian will probably start tellig him off if he gets too rough. Make sure you give them "time outs" while they play so they don't get too amped up.

**also, if at any time they get too rough i play, you should be separatig them. It's better to be safe than sorry, so when in doubt, separate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you k8nkane :)

We have already looked when training classes will start, around the time after his first set of shots, I was told to start his training right at 8 weeks & until 16 weeks. We're going to do a class of mixed dog breeds, 1hr per day for 6 weeks then there is a dog class just for Pit Bulls, again 1hr per day for 6 weeks. For now with their play, we watch carefully & when one gets rough we do just that, separate them. I'd like to say they're getting better with each other, but then I'd be lying. But at least they get some play time in the day :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts