Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Roscoe is almpst 9 weeks old - generally well behaved, listens to commands, etc. but we are having a problem with his nipping and sometimes biting...I know he's just being playful and not trying to hurt anyone but I also know how important it is to teach him now that it's not OK, before he gets any older and bigger and seriously hurts someone...any advice? Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I have always just over embelished the OWWWWWW when my puppys bite raising the voice a bit and followed by a firm NO , usually the tone in my voice stops them and they look all pitiful and upset that they got repremanded. I usually stop any contact with them until after they have calmed down and stopped mouthing me. My adults now never put there mouths on me unless we are playing and its by accident but then the moment they realize its me they get extremely gentle and stop. I dont know thats just what works for my dogs im sure there are lots of things to try.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I first got my pup at 7 weeks 2 days old. first day home he bit hard when playing. I screamed no and held his mouth shut till he cried a litle bit. now at 8 1/2 weeks he is way improved. he sometimes still put teeth on skin when playing but he never puts pressure into his bite. I still do the correction everytime teeth contact skin.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
the word AT... exagerated.. like AHHT! NO.. and go on about what your doing.. repeat as neccessary.. to many times clap your hands at the same time and point then say Bad DOG! (this usually makes the pet seem like you dont want him near; so I dont use bad dog unless they are REALLY bad; biting on the kids at that young age them teeth are sharp, and the bathroom trash.. only time I use bad dog) Good Dog Bad dog does have a cognitive affect on the dogs .. Good Dog means do what you want until they get it.. If your dog sits and listens Good dog generally makes the dog want to come get more praise.. LOL Dont use it as much as you use GOOD dog body language.. Just as Im instructing to use Bad dog body language... Does that makes sense? Im sure other things work for other people, this is what works for me..

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
held his mouth shut till he cried a litle bit.
^That I would not do.

Like the others said yell "Ouch" or "Ahhht" or "Noo" Whatever word you want to nose. Think of it like when puppies play and one puppy bites too hard the other yelps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I haven't done this, but I watched the vet that I work for show a new owner this...
He took the pups bottom lip and pulled it over its canine tooth then, lightly pressed.. I saw the pup actually think twice before biting again.. may take a few times, but I think this works. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts