Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my pitbull is 3.5 months and yes she's teething she has plenty of toys to chew but she still wants to bite my fingers . I yell ouch and no !! But yet she still does it . How can I get her out of this habit ? I was told shell get out when she gets older but is that true ? And sometimes shell jump up at me and runs away and wags her tail is playing and is it ok ? :)

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
well id probly keep my fingers out of her mouth.. shes a puppy.. shes gonna run at you and try to get you to play with her.. its what they do :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's my damn bf he lets her bite his fingers lol it drives me frigging NUTS !
Will she get out of this habit ?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Depends if it's corrected or not. I would say Ouch really loud, and turn my back on her until she calms down, then offer an appropriate toy. What I found that worked for me with teething was. I purchased a bag of cheap tube socks, took one and stuffed it with the others. I wet it and froze it, then gave it to my pup. Just like a teething ring the cold numbs the gums and lessons the pain.

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
I never personally minded if my girl did (to me), but she was always gently corrected to be gentle. Now she likes to hold my fingers in her mouth when she's laying on my lap or laying next to me. (again, I don't mind) But I had to correct my Poodle by folding my arms and turning my back on him-- he was horrid about biting as hard as he could.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I also did not mind mouthing on my hands. I used Jean Donaldson's technique to use this time to teach bite inhibition; along with teaching commands for gentle/easy, drop it/out and leave it.

My pup did grow out of the mouthing and she has an extremely soft mouth. (Actually she has too soft of a mouth, which is annoying but that's another story. lol)

If you want to read about the method I referenced for teaching bite inhibition; click on the link below, and start at the bottom of page 63.

http://codeazur.com.br/pix/blogs/CultureClash.pdf

And yes, the running and jumping is playing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts