Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my friend's house this weekend having a bonfire when she showed me a picture on her phone of her young cousin.

The little girl had been bitten by a dog above the eye. It didn't look serious and I know nothing about the situation in which it occurred. It looked like she'd been bitten by a small dog and that's what I asked when she showed me the picture.

"What was she bitten by? A little dog?"

And she answered,

"A Pit Bull."

And she is one who discriminates against the breed.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
We had a pup a few years ago get put down, it had been left outside with 3 young children and another puppy. Waren was almost a year old and the pup was about 10-12 weeks old and they kept shoving the pup in Warens face and Waren snapped at the pup and caught the litter girl that was holding the pup right above the eye. Makes you wonder how this child was bitten and what was the cause.. Parent irresponsibility 9 times out of 10.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely. When I see a child that got bitten by a Pit Bull, or any dog for that matter (Unless it's those unruly snappy little yapper brats), I usually assume it was the child's fault. Getting to close to a strange dog, pulling/tugging on it, hitting it, etc. So yes, parent irresponsibility.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Absolutely. When I see a child that got bitten by a Pit Bull, or any dog for that matter (Unless it's those unruly snappy little yapper brats), I usually assume it was the child's fault. Getting to close to a strange dog, pulling/tugging on it, hitting it, etc. So yes, parent irresponsibility.
dang erika.. that sucks.. we hear crap like this all the time..."oh it was one of those PIT BULLS. you know how mean they are i hope it gets put down"

more parents need leashes for their dumb kids

·
Registered
155 Posts
Parent irresponsibility 9 times out of 10.

Isn't that the truth! I remember when Tiger was a 6 m/o pup. We were visiting the in-laws & we had him on a runner to pee. My husband & SIL were out there with him & my 5 y/o niece was out there as well. I am inside & all of a sudden I hear the child shrieking over & over. I come running thinking the worst & guess what I saw? She was running about the yard wildly, then would stop just out of reach of Tiger, jump in his face & scream at him! Meanwhile her mom was just standing feet away from her, yapping away to my husband, completely oblivious to her child's dangerous behaviour. I was SO mad!!!!! :mad: Good thing Tiger just stood there & looked at the kid like "WTF?" Heaven forbid had he bitten her! It would have been the big, bad PIT BULL'S fault, not the neglectful mother's who should have been watching her child!

(BTW, I let my husband have an earful over that one & her kids have NEVER come close to ANY of my dogs since!)

·
Registered
226 Posts
That is just terrible...and she is your friend? It is just terrible that these dogs get such a bad name. I mean, I think that people just say "pit bull" just to say it.

What is really terrible, is that the young pup that was put down (in the thead above) was probably only playing. I mean, 10-12 wks old...you can't see true DA at that time, everything is just play...and I am sure that the dog was just playing with the kids, not understanding why he was being thrown in someone's face. That is a truly horrible story.

Lucy is 5 months and still will bite at us when we are playing....drives us nuts...it has gone from true bite to a playing bite that she and Paddy do together, but we are still trying to break her of the nipping and she is 5 months. Man, my pup would be put down for sure if she ever got in the hands of someone like your friend, which is terrible because she is such a sweet dog...just has a lot of energy...doesn't mean that a dog deserves to be put down, and this is what is happening so to many in this breed.

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
i will completely agree that many parents do not watch their kids appropriately around dogs. i am not really... a "kid" person, my dogs are my children and that's as far as my "children" thing willl EVER go, but lots of my family have smaller children. last year, when bear my husky was younger, we had an accident and i still fume about it to this DAY, i cannot stand my boyfriend's cousins. Bear was outside in his outdoor kennel and my boyfriend's cousin and family were over helping his grandpa with yardwork. the family have 2 sons, one of which is 4 or 5ish, i cannot be sure. myself and my boyfriend are gone, and we are gone for a decent chunk of time, and when we come back i go out back to get bear for one of his walks. there is the boy, taking a rake and stabbing at bear through the fence and throwing pears at him. I start fuming like crazy and tell off my boyfriend because HIS MOTHER AND FATHER are standing about 10 feet away from him, completely ignoring him. meanwhile bear is going crazy, he doesn't want any of this stuff to happen to him. so i grab him and we are exiting the yard when the little boy runs past and bear jumped on him and nipped him, just a LITTLE bit. i don't even know if it was to be mean to this day, you could barely see a mark, but to this day the family will go on and on about how bear should be 'beaten' because he is an 'unacceptable' dog.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh no, it's not her dog or anything. It's her cousin and she doesn't know the dog or the situation (I did ask her about it tonight). But it's still awkward for me to know that she just out and out said "Nah, it was a Pit Bull"....I just didn't know what to say.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
What is really terrible, is that the young pup that was put down (in the thead above) was probably only playing. I mean, 10-12 wks old...you can't see true DA at that time, everything is just play...and I am sure that the dog was just playing with the kids, not understanding why he was being thrown in someone's face. That is a truly horrible story.
The one year old dog was put down. The 10-12 week old pup was being pushed into the older dogs face by the unsupervised kids and the older dog went to bite it and got the little girls face instead.

·
Registered
244 Posts
my brother as a chow mix for 7 years, he had a son, (human) 18 months ago, his son just hammers on this dog, jumping on his back, punching him in the snout, tackling him , then the dog nips back no big deal, My brother brings him to the vet to get put down, the vet says are you out of your mind, watch your f--king kid around the dog, they can only take so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dogs have a breaking point just like anything else............

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My son can pull China's tail and lay on her and kiss her and hug her (squeeze her head). We make him stop to a certain extent, but he's so used to it...Well, he jumped onto the couch where Aries was laying and Aries turned around and snapped at his face right above the temple. Both my son and the dog got yelled at. One because my SON needs to know he can't do that (I don't even let him jump on China!) and my DOG needs to know that he can't snap at my kids. But I'm not running to the vet. Dogs do have a breaking point and I won't fault a dog for protecting itself.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
People seem to think that dogs ( any breed) should just allow a child to do anything to it. Parents are quite often as dumb about raising their children with manners as they are about raising a dog. Dogs can only handle so much before they reach the breaking point.

I saw a pitbull attack on the news once and the grandma was like " the kids have always puledl its tail and ears and jumped on him and he never snapped and bit before":hammer:

I was like jeeze pull on me enough and I will bite you too!

3,968 Posts
children are so easy to make an impression on if they hear soething like a pitbull is dangerouse or a horrible breed they usually wouldnt question it which is why i find it enjoyable and easy to educate children who think like that and i prove them wrong with onyx's kisses children are the best ones to teach i'd rather defend me owning a pitbull to a child then an adult thats for sure!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts