Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my uncle who has had many dogs has warned me of something they get at about 6 months where they get a blank look and become really mean. He told me there is a 50% chance my dog will have this. This concerned me, being that at this stage he loves every one and is really dog friendly and i socialize him every day. He is learning daily what toys sit and stay allso down and easy and not bite. He is doing quite well. Is this something to be concerned about? Or are these just pointless rumors made to get people to fear the breed. I see nothing but kindness and intelligence in his eyes. He listens keenly to every thing I say.
THanks
Ryan and Rex

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
Blank look linked to aggression?

LMFAO,no..so not true. Your uncle is obviously not very informed when it comes to dogs.

Also, APBTs aren't prone to human aggression AT ALL. They were NEVER bred for that. However, you do have a breed that is prone to dog aggression so be aware of that. You cannot fight genetics and you especially being as you have no background on the lineage of your dog need to be aware of that. There is many people that say you can "train" a dog not to be dog aggressibe BUT you cannot train blood out of a dog.

That is not to say that a APBT cannot be dog friendly but always have your guard up and avoid places such as dog parks. That is setting your APBT up for failure. I have a almost two year old male APBT who has NEVER shown D.A.,however I also don't allow him in the position were he would need to be.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you. I didnt think so. This is my 2nd pit and had no problems. I know they are not bred for it. So i have nothing to worry about then? Just keep loving on him so he stays as my teddy bear? LMfao

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
No worries ;) There is not a single bit of truth to any of that lmao. Enjoy or dog and raise him with proper manners and fun and he will be just fine ;) Dog Aggression is however a trait of the breed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries ;) There is not a single bit of truth to any of that lmao. Enjoy or dog and raise him with proper manners and fun and he will be just fine ;) Dog Aggression is however a trait of the breed.
lol Im going to show this to my uncle and be like HA WIN! Lmfao My only issue is the crying at night every now and then. Which i have insomnia and ptsd with nightmares because of my war time experinces and he keeps me up but idc i love him anyways.( still only the first week and a half)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
He'll get past it. The best thing you can do is ignore him. Even yelling no is giving him attention so just ignore it. You can also cover the crate if he doesn't pull the cover through and chew it.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I don't know where you keep his crate, but it can help too if you put his crate in your room. Your bedroom has more of your smell than other parts of your house and it can be soothing.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
You know, there may be a kernel of truth to this, but it was poorly presented. Sometimes aggression can be preceded by an apparent lack of warning. Because these dogs can have abbreviated warning signals. Sometimes it looks like excitement or eagerness. If you're really in tune, you can see it. But that is mostly to do with other dogs, not people. APBTs should be solid when it comes to people.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He has only tested me once. He now sleeps through the night and at the foot of my bed on his blanket.. he will move between kenel and bed as he pleases. And the testing was when he was tired and in pain from surgery he growled and snapped at me for petting him. I punished him(not violently) more making a fuss about it then anything and then held him in a cradle on his back for 30 mins. But the testing thing is normal i guess

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
In the future, you don't have to put him on his back for 30 mins. That's excessive. Two minutes or so will do. He'll get the point.

In fact, you don't have to put him on his back at all, as you're not telling your dog what you think you are. By putting your dog on his back, you're telling him that he needs to fear you. Dogs only force other dogs to roll on their backs when they're being aggressive and instigating a fight. The dog will roll onto his back submissively to try to stop the fight before it begins.

If you keep putting your dog on his back, he could become defensive and aggressive, in order to try to get YOU to back off. You never want to force your dog to become defensive towards you. There are other ways to punish or discipline your dog that are much more effective and don't cause your dog to fear you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the future, you don't have to put him on his back for 30 mins. That's excessive. Two minutes or so will do. He'll get the point.

In fact, you don't have to put him on his back at all, as you're not telling your dog what you think you are. By putting your dog on his back, you're telling him that he needs to fear you. Dogs only force other dogs to roll on their backs when they're being aggressive and instigating a fight. The dog will roll onto his back submissively to try to stop the fight before it begins.

If you keep putting your dog on his back, he could become defensive and aggressive, in order to try to get YOU to back off. You never want to force your dog to become defensive towards you. There are other ways to punish or discipline your dog that are much more effective and don't cause your dog to fear you.
he is starting to like it and fell asleep wagging his tail..thats why it was 30 mins..he likes when i hold him lake a baby wierd right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts