Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
haven't been on much since i don't have a computer and i got gopit banned from work :rain: i'll tryto update about everyone later but for now i have a question :confused:

SO I am faced with a dilemma, as most have ya'll have heard i've talked about rehoming gina (the poodle) but now i'm more serious and have a question....

I’m am thinking rehoming Gina because truthfully she just doesn't fit with the pack, and while I love her I’m not overly fond of her all the time if that makes any since. I guess it comes down to I’m the crazy bulldog lady and while I like poodles they are just not the dog for me to OWN. I have actually been torn up about this wondering if it the right choice or not for well over a year because I could not stand it if she were miss treated or neglected but then I also to an extent feel selfish for keeping her myself when there could be someone out there that would actually love having her as their dog and would spoil her like she should be.

I mean it’s not to say I mistreat her cause I don't she gets her training all her medical and grooming needs met, we go to the dog park I’ve really tried for over a year to really bond with her including trying clicker training something I HATE but figured she may do well with since its all positive reinforcement, but it like it never clicks for us. I seriously don't know how to explain it, I treat her like I would any of my other girls but I know it’s wrong when one has to go to major surgery that could have serious complication and what comes out of my mouth is “WHY COULDN'T IT HAVE BEEN THE D**N POODLE!!!” obviously I would never wish any harm on her as I do care for her as I do all animals but to be completely honest I know for a fact it wouldn't affect me as bad if something where to happen to her as it would if say something happened to Lucy or Cheza. Does that make me a bad person?

Anyway I am confused right now and would like some impute. I’m sure some of you have never been in this situation but if you can, can you try to think of it from my point of view and give me some advise?

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Girl, it is not bad, you have tried and that is all you can do and if there is someone out there that will give her what she needs, not that you don't then go for it. But I do understand where you are coming from about what if someone mistreats her. But I know you will find her the perfet forever home. HUgs girl, go with your gut and don't stress it.

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks chica, ughhhh why is so much harder for me to let her go then any of my rescue!?!

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I agree with Tye. Also, think about it, a poodle is MUCH easier to place than anything else. Is your pup high strung? I have a friend who made a deal with an elderly women to continue to take a cat to the vet for checkups and help with food in exchange for taking the cat. or even offering to deliver the food they pay for or something like that to help them if they have no car. Most elderly people can not afford or have a car so they are unable to have a pet, but WOULD LOVE to have one.

If you willing to help, even a little, try going to some elderly housing projects with your pup, or some signs, and see if there are any takers. the elderly eat up poodles for some reason!!! (in a good way of course, not to stereotype, lol)

or you could find a home the old fashioned way, a poodle would be easy to place I would think. You're not bad, your thinking of whats best for your dog!

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey i never thought of that, no she is not high strung really well she super annoying with cats but besides that she good. walks perfect on a leash loves to chill on the couch but i you see i dunno about keep up with paying for all her stuff becuase i have 4 other dog 2 cats and constant rescues as well as i'm hoping to get a new quality dog in the future i can show and such. but i could def bring her to the vet and groomer and such or help them groom her if they want to do it themselves

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
hey i never thought of that, no she is not high strung really well she super annoying with cats but besides that she good. walks perfect on a leash loves to chill on the couch but i you see i dunno about keep up with paying for all her stuff becuase i have 4 other dog 2 cats and constant rescues as well as i'm hoping to get a new quality dog in the future i can show and such. but i could def bring her to the vet and groomer and such or help them groom her if they want to do it themselves
WOW yeah, thats crazy lol, you cant pay for stuff, lol. But you get me, anything you can offer them would help, rides, advice, whatever. be careful cause some can talk for HOURS if you let them, lol. I find Elderly give so much love since sadly, sometimes most people they know have passed or "forgotten" about them.

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh wow that actually a good idea, but i problem i have is she is only a bit over a yr old and well poodle can live to be 14-16yr. i would hae for them to... well die on her you know?

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
guess everyone agrees then i'm a crappy owner for a poodle? lol fml

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
oh wow that actually a good idea, but i problem i have is she is only a bit over a yr old and well poodle can live to be 14-16yr. i would hae for them to... well die on her you know?
damn, didn't think of THAT lol

How did you get a poodle?? lol

and no, a crappy owner would not have asked and would have dumped her in Alligator Ally or at a shelter and never thought twice...

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol well truth i actually went out of my way to get her, i ws looking for a dog i could compete in agility in and itruth wanted something i could brush and put bows in it hair, i wanted something with nice energy level and intellegent and when i added it all together i sumed it up to a standard poodle. but here i am a yr and a half later and... well ya

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
I think if it came down to something happening to the poodle, you'd be surprised the emotions you might feel. Dog ppl are just that, despite the breed...

IDK - if it were me in your shoes. I'd suck it up & realize I made the choice to get the poodle & therefore it's life is dedicated to me like any other dog... My cats drive me bananas sometimes - because well, they're cats... But at the end of the day they're still my responsibility & couldn't bare the thought of something bad happening to any of them. There are more heartless ppl in this world than there are good - so keep that in mind.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
It's no lie that when we take on a pup or dog that we are supposed to be committed to them for there lives......not toss them out the door after the new feeling has worn off. I'm not saying you in general but as a whole us humans make a choice to bring them into our lives with the intent to always care for them. In this case it sounds like you really don't have a legit reason to get rid of her other than "she doesn't fit in". You said she is well behaved so what is the issue other than she is a large foo foo dog mixed in with a bunch of bulldogs LOL! I understand what you are saying but it seems a little sad that you feel that way about her. I would really think long and hard before you make any final decisions. If you do find that "perfect person" for her then by all means let her go but make sure it is best for her as well as yourself. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision. :)

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
Wish you lived closer, I want a poodle! Lol oaky I "want" a poodle, really really bad... a black standard... LOL but the next puppy i get is "it" for a long while, and i really want an APBT to show..... ANYWAYS

If she doesn't fit in with your pack, I know how it goes. You want someone that will take care of her and love her like she deserves and be the favorite and get spoiled and yadda yadda. Have you thought of contacting your groomer? I know if one of my clients said they were looking to re-home their spoo i would be leaping for joy lolz. anyways, your groomer might be interested in her or maybe she knows of another client that would be interested in her! and since they already go to the groomer they would obviously take care of her in the grooming department and you could even keep in contact with your groomer and see how she is doing in the future!

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Girl shut up you are NOT a bad owner at all, Canra has a point about alife long commitment but you know in your heart what is best. If she doesn't suit you then find her a great home where she will get the attention she needs :D Hugs girl I know you will figure it out

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I can completely understand!! I have had dogs (and have a few I am looking for homes for) that just do not fit in my house. At first I tried to keep all my dogs I got because I was emotional attached. That is why my kennel is so large! I have about 8 dogs who are useless and do not work. There were my first dogs and now they are so old I cannot imagine placing them but now I do not keep dogs who do not fit in to my house and what I am happy with. There is nothing wrong with that and I know another house can give them what they need where I cannot. Find her a good home and fee good you did what is best for you and her.
BTW I had a toy poodle years ago and lost her to old age at 17. She was great and the boss of the pits, she was 7lbs of poodle fury! LOL RIP Gracie

·
Registered
135 Posts
We get a lot of elderly clients who are looking for a small dog or another Poodle.
If you have a picture and information, I'd be happy to post on our wall. I work in an animal hospital.. we know who are great to their pets, where she/he would find a good , loving home.. just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
It's no lie that when we take on a pup or dog that we are supposed to be committed to them for there lives......not toss them out the door after the new feeling has worn off. I'm not saying you in general but as a whole us humans make a choice to bring them into our lives with the intent to always care for them. In this case it sounds like you really don't have a legit reason to get rid of her other than "she doesn't fit in". You said she is well behaved so what is the issue other than she is a large foo foo dog mixed in with a bunch of bulldogs LOL! I understand what you are saying but it seems a little sad that you feel that way about her. I would really think long and hard before you make any final decisions. If you do find that "perfect person" for her then by all means let her go but make sure it is best for her as well as yourself. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision. :)
Good post. Tough decisions are never easy:) Good luck to both of you!

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I can totally understand where you are coming from as I am in the same situation. We have 3 dogs, one of which, while we love her, we don't particularity like her. There's no real reason, but like you said, we just never bonded with her and we have had her for 8 years! So I guess she is part of the family whether we like it or not! LOL

Really though, I would never consider re-homing her to anyone except my mom. That dog absolutely loves her. But she is a barker, and mom lives in an apartment building, so I don't think that would ever work. Do you have any family members who would be willing to take her? That way you would never have to worry about her being mistreated by a stranger.

I guess what I'm trying to say is sometimes you just can't connect with a certain dog no matter how hard or how long you try. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just how it is. Your dog might feel the same way about you, she might be happier with someone else. I know my dog would probably love to live with my mom.

I totally understand what people mean when they say that adopting a dog is a lifetime commitment, but honestly, sometimes it happens where the dog is better off with someone else. I'm not sure when re-homing became a bad thing if you're doing it with the dog's best interest in mind.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Here's a thought...... did you buy her from a reputable breeder with a contract? The breeder should always take what they produce back no matter how many years its been. One of the stipulations in my contract with a past dog I had was that if you can't keep or care for the dog to return it to the breeder. Just curious if your breeder would take her back and place her for you :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
girl you foster dogs and you place them into the loving homes that fit them. Its not wrong to place her with a adoptive family. There are just times when things dont click. Like some people dont click with some other people. Crap happens. I dont much care for harley but I deal with her. Try to teach her things and try to get a long. We are on common grounds but sometimes we get the fire going and ugh!
Its going to be hard yes. Heck I found a kitten and had it for a day or two then rehomed it and I cried. Even though I tried my darn hardest to not get into it with her.
Though we are talking about two different things now XD

I dont think that makes you a horror able person. You saved her life and got her what she needs, and so she doesnt click. That just means she needs your help one more time to go to a adoptive family that is ment for her. Not all foster dogs have to be adopted by the foster-er

If you are bone deep worried you can do yearly check ups or for a little while monthly! Ask to keep in touch and send you pictures. Find a family and do a walk threw of the home and family, bring her in the next time and see how she reacts. When you find the right family for her you will know

1 - 20 of 47 Posts