Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While going through pictures and reading some articles on the Internet. I was wondering if anybody knows when was the first blue dog has been seen or recognize. Just curious.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
When it was outcrossed with another breed that has that dialuted gene.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
I do, but that is something that would show up on a rarity, but all the blue dogs around now in the bullie breeds are from out outcross then back into the apbt, and if there was a rare occasion where the gene showed up it wouldnt throw blue dogs

The figures are just to small with the apbt, but people dont think that coz they see so many blue dogs that have been outcrossed and assume the blue comes from the apbt.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I think that color is possible in almost all breeds you have black and tan as well and that doesn't mean the APBT was crossed with a rott. I don't think this color was desirable because it causes health problems and breeders culled to get rid of that color. I read somewhere they crossed kerry blue fighting dogs back in the old days when they were creating pit dogs. I don't remember the source but it was an interesting article that I read.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Ever seen a silver rotweiler? what about silver labs they are banned from shows as they are weimariner dog. apbts came from the gamedogs of yesterday, there is one that is silver, but all of a sudden there are thousands of blue dogs being claimed as apbt. where did this burst of blue dogs come from? definatly not the dialuted rare gene, it has come from another breed.

:)

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Ever seen a silver rotweiler? what about silver labs they are banned from shows as they are weimariner dog. apbts came from the gamedogs of yesterday, there is one that is silver, but all of a sudden there are thousands of blue dogs being claimed as apbt. where did this burst of blue dogs come from? definatly not the dialuted rare gene, it has come from another breed.

:)
I am in no way deffending Bullies being called Pits, all I am saying is that it is possible to have the color without outcrossing.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Id like to see some proof. Someone give me some examples and peds.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
oh it just seemed like the color blue was talked in more detain than i could follow in the last thread
the dilute the part about color all starting from red that some are black but in the light they look red or blue and so on and so on if the op read that thread I think they wlould have a pretty good amount of info on them

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
What do you guys think about dogs like Dosia. Could the blue have come from them as they are a dilute of black. Like getting lighter down the line? FH referred to him as slate blue before, but I always thought he was seal. I don't really know much about colors but he looks black and his under coat reflect a brownish color and sometimes a blueish color, depending on the light. Here's a few pics.

Here's one of him next to Tiva who is black brindle, you can see the difference in their color really well in this one.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
There is a huge article I can steal from game-dog that talks about colors. But basically your great dane haha jk your doggy has a very unique coloring :) I believe it was the Blue Paul fighting dog that was crossed to bull baiting pits and those were real blue dogs. Maybe that infusion of blood could have caused it? I know some hunters preffer lighters dogs for the hunt so dilute colors would have been culled. Look at th history of the dogo, I wouldn't be surprised if some unique colors were produced. The Alano has very similar coloring to the APBT they even come in Blue and tri color. Many say the Alaunts are the ancestors of all modern war/hunting dogs.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I've owned two solid black pitbulls in my time and they both had days where they strange color tones. One week they would look like they had brown highlights then I would catch blue hues in them. It must be something common in blacks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
the blue color can happen without crossing out to other breeds and it has happened in the past. the reason that you didnt see much of it before was because the apbt was bred for a purpose, not for a color. today, so many are being bred for the blue color and it is no longer rare. unfortunately, breeding for color has led to the overall quality of the apbt to decline.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Have you got a ped for that dog? ill tell you if its apbt, if not others on this board will recognise names od amstaff or ambully, please post

1 - 20 of 111 Posts