Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 21 month Blue pit. His name is chewy. We have had him sense he was 9 month old. We feed him Blue Buffalo twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night. I take him on 4 mile walks every other day. Monday, Wed, Friday. Sat or Sun. I was wondering if there is any routine I can put him on so he can get some size and strength and feeding routine. I can put him on to switch it up. Here are a couple of pictures his 21 month old. Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
He looks like he's in good shape right now.

I'd suggest walking every day. I know my dogs would go nuts if we didn't, but you know your dog, obviously. Spring pole, flirt pole, jogging, biking, etc.

As much as exercise and conditioning is great for them, genetics play a huge role. Were his parents naturally more fit/muscular? He looks like a fairly big-boned guy as it is, what exactly is your end goal?

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
Chewy looks fantastic. What a beautiful looking boy. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us mr.santisteban.

Joe

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
instead of walking him every other day m-f. I will try to walk him everyday m-f. Even if its short walks then the normal 4 miles and Sat or Sun. Any more advice or to add to his routine it will appreciated. Chewys says Thank you.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What a beautiful face!

Does he like flirt poles or spring poles? Something to really get him jumping and tugging.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a beautiful face!

Does he like flirt poles or spring poles? Something to really get him jumping and tugging.
Flirt poles or spring poles? I don't know what that is. Is that a toy I can buy for him at the store? Are those the names Flirt and spring poles? Sorry for my ignorance. Sense we have had him. We just take him on walks and play with him and his toys.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I made my flirt pole with 3ft of 1/2" PVC pipe and some thick boat rope from the hardware store. You just put the rope through the PVC pipe and tie a knot on both ends so it doesn't pull through when you are playing. You can tie something on the end that your dog would like to chase, but my girl prefers just the rope.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My flirt pole is similar to TeamCourter's, except it's 2 sided so I have a dog on either side while I twirl it around. Maggie's favorite game is to capture the toy, chew it off the rope, and run like crazy while I and the other dogs chase her.

A spring pole is basically a heavy duty spring attached to something really sturdy and stationary. A toy is hooked to the spring with a rope and a snap ring. It gives the dog something to really tug on. I haven't built one yet for my blockheads, but it's in the plans.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
I use a shorter pole for my other dogs, longer pole for Bob. I do t want the big dog so close to me while he's working it. He tends to run into me and knock me around too much. ;)

·
Banned
3 Posts
flirt poles and spring poles are good for muscle building - also good time to train in high intensity scenarios :) could also get some weights on him during your walks. Pup looks GREAT btw.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Sure is a cute pup! He looks great! Good luck! on days you are unable to walk him you can you grab a cheap treadmill off craigslist and have him walk on that for a few miles too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys and gals for the great advice. I made one but I admit it was crappy and the pole broke while he was flying in the air. I was amazed how high he jumped in the air. I'm afraid he might get so use to it and jump over our fence. I used a 4 ft pcp pipe stuck a rope inside and right a not at the end. Tide his fav toy on it. Any advice on making a sturdy more effective one. I will take pictures or video of him flying through the air.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I was thinking of getting a treadmill. I have stated to walk him everyday. But on the past we walked him everyother day and he was fine. What are bad signs to look for if he is extremely frustrated or wants a walk. Also I have been reading mixed reviews on Blue Buffalo. I been feeding him Chicken and rice for about 11 months.

·
Hitting the Trails Weekly
344 Posts
Slatmills and carpetmills are pretty good, just research you options because there's quite a few options out there. Like others have mentioned flirt poles a springpoles are great, maybe weight training if he likes to work. :) My boy gets real hyper when he needs a run, he chews more on his toys (and other things....), jumps around and gets real loud (howling and what-not) occasionally. But it sort of varies from dog to dog I guess. As far as food goes some dogs do fine with foods containing rice and some don't. It's best to just see how you dog does on a food because it can vary.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anybody know where they sell flirt poles at? I have tried petsmart, petco, the local mom and pops pet stores etc. Nothing. I made one the other day from a 3 foot pvc pipe stuck a rope in it. It bent and cracked after chewy jumped in the air and caught his toy. Any advice on making a sturdy one.

·
Hitting the Trails Weekly
344 Posts
You good buy one online, O'Brien's K9 Supply sells them still (I think) or you could make one out of maybe a lunge whip and a toy or cow hide.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Anybody know where they sell flirt poles at? I have tried petsmart, petco, the local mom and pops pet stores etc. Nothing. I made one the other day from a 3 foot pvc pipe stuck a rope in it. It bent and cracked after chewy jumped in the air and caught his toy. Any advice on making a sturdy one.
You good buy one online, O'Brien's K9 Supply sells them still (I think) or you could make one out of maybe a lunge whip and a toy or cow hide.
We use a lunge or training whip purchased at a feed store. $13.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts