Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok...so i have a big brindle boy and I swear his nose is blueish in person. I have never seen a brindle pit with a blue nose so are they out there? I'd post a pic of his nose but it's too hard to get the color to show up. It looks brownish/ black in pics. Anyone ever seen a blue nosed brindle?

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
In regards to brindles with blue noses...
Both blue fawn brindle and blue brindle dogs both have blue noses and are very common.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Are the stripes in his coat black or blue? If he's blue brindle, he'll have nothing but blue pigment. (Blue dogs can't produce black pigment, because of the dilution gene.) If there's black in his coat, then he wouldn't be a blue brindle. On the other hand, there are things that will break down the pigment in a dog's nose. Our Dogo started out with a jet black nose which broke down to purple as he aged.

American Pit Bull Terrier Network APBT color gallery

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok- so I have to say that I have seen a blue nose brindle but they have been the blue brindles. I have never seen one with the coloring of my male so I guess I should have phrased that differantly.

Are the stripes in his coat black or blue? If he's blue brindle, he'll have nothing but blue pigment. (Blue dogs can't produce black pigment, because of the dilution gene.) If there's black in his coat, then he wouldn't be a blue brindle. On the other hand, there are things that will break down the pigment in a dog's nose. Our Dogo started out with a jet black nose which broke down to purple as he aged.
My boy has the black stipes so he's not the blue brindle. As I remeber his nose has always been this color and I have had him since he was a baby. And I am not sure what the parents looked like. Could he have blues in his background somewhere that just showed up in his nose only? Gosh-maybe he's just a freak of nature with his odd nose! lol Although it's not a super good pic...he's the all brindle in my avatar pic.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts

Ok- so I have to say that I have seen a blue nose brindle but they have been the blue brindles. I have never seen one with the coloring of my male so I guess I should have phrased that differantly.

My boy has the black stipes so he's not the blue brindle. As I remeber his nose has always been this color and I have had him since he was a baby. And I am not sure what the parents looked like. Could he have blues in his background somewhere that just showed up in his nose only? Gosh-maybe he's just a freak of nature with his odd nose! lol
If the brindle stripes are black he genetically would not have a blue nose as already stated. Perhaps there is some sort of pigment issue with his nose, medical condition or other issue causing it. I've also heard of heard of dogs who get winter nose and loss pigment during certain times of year and even pigment issues from using certain types of drinking/ food bowls.

Post some pictures

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. So here's the best pic of his nose I have. As I said before in pics it appears to be a brownish-almost black sometimes. His muzzle is black so maybe that's why his nose looks black as well-idk. It's very different in person. So he could have just been born with a pigment issue with his nose?

Attachments

·
Banned
289 Posts
I got a dog nose who half blue/half black..been that way since it changed from pink to black to half blue..in pic his nose is black in person the middle has a lone half is the deepest black ever and other side is glossy blue so im curious to see what he is going to do

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a dog nose who half blue/half black..been that way since it changed from pink to black to half blue..in pic his nose is black in person the middle has a lone half is the deepest black ever and other side is glossy blue so im curious to see what he is going to do
That's very strange. Good to know it's not just my camera making his pics look like his nose is black....cause it's not! Must just be a loss of full pigment.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts

My boy has the black stipes so he's not the blue brindle. As I remeber his nose has always been this color and I have had him since he was a baby. And I am not sure what the parents looked like. Could he have blues in his background somewhere that just showed up in his nose only? Gosh-maybe he's just a freak of nature with his odd nose! lol Although it's not a super good pic...he's the all brindle in my avatar pic.
If he has black strips in his coat he is most likely a black nosed dog. I don't see any blue in there, maybe in some lights it looks different (blue is a dilluted black after all)

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
If the dog is blue the nose can't be black.
My blue dogs have very good pigment & unless you put them right next to a dog with a black nose most will swear they have a black nose too.
I think so many are used to seeing the washed out poor pigmented noses that when they see a dark one they just assume it is black.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts