Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have left Illinois to travel to Florida for a family vacation at the mystic dunes resort. Sadly, no pets are allowed. I put Storm in boarding and let the caregivers know she was deaf. i let them know her hand signals, feeding and walking schedule. i also told her she is okay to play with dogs as long as shes supervised. What I am worried about is that she might get hurt, or she may come back stressed and not the same.

My question is to people who board their dogs, has anything happened to your puppy or dog when you got them back? unexplained illness, wounds? Maybe you came back and their weight was off? Are these means for a lawsuit?

·
Registered
310 Posts
i really think youre being a little over pretective (not tryin to be rude at all) i think she will be just fine if u let them know her condition.. ive boaded mine two, more then a time or two and they have alwyas came back the same as long as its a decent boarding place you should be fine..as far as a lawsuit i dont know how that would work unless something outragous happened...i think she will be fine

·
GoPitBull/facebook Admin
647 Posts
I boarded max few months back. Even though he is vaccinated he still got kennel cough. I guess that chance is always there. Other then that it went great.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
I have left Illinois to travel to Florida for a family vacation at the mystic dunes resort. Sadly, no pets are allowed. I put Storm in boarding and let the caregivers know she was deaf. i let them know her hand signals, feeding and walking schedule. i also told her she is okay to play with dogs as long as shes supervised. What I am worried about is that she might get hurt, or she may come back stressed and not the same.

My question is to people who board their dogs, has anything happened to your puppy or dog when you got them back? unexplained illness, wounds? Maybe you came back and their weight was off? Are these means for a lawsuit?
Most boarding facilities have you sign a waiver making you responsible for the vet expenses... Illnesses happen all the time when it comes to housing multi dogs. the best thing you can do is have your dog current on all shots especially the bordetella. I personally have someone come check on the dogs because I have adults, and i don't want that liability. Some dogs will stress and not eat because of being in a new enviornment, or they simply miss you. As far as wounds go... that's the scarey thing, it could be a brawl and their fault for not watching. I would personally have her let out on her own. Put it in writing too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i guess i am being a bit over protective. its probably because im so far away and havent left her alone for more than a day. sorry im typin on my phone, the lawsuit would be for serious cases, broken legs or deaths, intoxicatons and such....

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I work at a boarding/grooming resort-type place. At our facility, when you check in, we give you the option to purchase insurance where we will take your dog next door and the vets there will treat them for up to $150 worth on mishaps. For the most part, we only see things like a poke from a scuffle, happy tail from whacking the side of the kennel runs, diarrhea from stress and/or diet change, stiffness because the owner neglected to tell us their pet needed extra padding due to arthritis and the like. Mostly minor stuff. Of course, we're a smaller facility and more hands-on with the dogs, so it might be different if you boarded at a large kennel.

Due to the nature of dealing with animals, if you gave them permission to let your dog play with others, you release them of liability if there are any injuries that result from that. And if there are any pre-existing conditions that get aggravated, they wouldn't be responsible for that either. If you didn't provide her own food and she got sick on their food, there again, not their responsibility. And so on. I wouldn't waste my time worrying about a lawsuit if I were you. (Most likely, you'd have to prove negligience at any rate.) Just enjoy your trip. Call and ask if you're worried about her, or ask someone local to go by and check up on her.

·
Banned
4,383 Posts
I usualy use my freind to watch my dogs and my house if i need them sat for a few days she loves my dogs and I can trust her.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I board dogs here and and the owners are responsible for any mishaps that the dog does to it's self. Like I have a clients dogs that freaks out at fireworks and we try to keep her from hurting her self but sometimes we cannot stop her, it happens so fast. We will treat her here and charge the owner for supplies or take her to vet the that the owner later on pays. We never let dogs play together unless they live together that way we do not have dog fights.
Now from a trainers POV yeah sometimes after you have been gone a while (1-2 weeks) some dog take a week or so to settle back into your home life. I had a client leave her dogs with me for 2 week in Oct then 1.5 weeks in Nov, one of her dogs had a little separation anxiety for about a week and then it went away. The back to back boarding was hard on her. Things like that can happen but unless something catastrophic happens most dogs board just fine or take a few days to settle back in.

Bottom line you should be just fine and you dog will be safe when you come home.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Bottom line you should be just fine and you dog will be safe when you come home.
I believe in boarding, because in most cases, the ones offering their services are knowledgeable and will care for your dog the best they can...

And with you gone, theres so many kisses your pup has been dying to give you!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the respones. It really helped me to relax some. im going to enjoy myself and i hope storm is having a blast too. i would have left her with my sister, but shes too busy with school and work.

that owner buy insurance for their pet sounds quite nice. i havent heard of that around here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts