Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just adopted/rescued my third pit bull dog and finally found this site. Bodhi is a quick learner, and I am looking forward to learning a lot by reading these forums.
Found this site when I googled "taking pit bull to dog park", and found a thread which immediately convinced me to never take him to such a place. That alone was a great find for me.

I do have one issue with him, that is separation anxiety. I will post in another thread.

Anyway, nice to be here.:)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Welcome to GP.
I'm pretty new myself, and I am learning a lot of things.
Love to see pics of your dogs!

You will learn a lot of interesting things in the forums for sure!!

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
welcome to GP :D

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Welcome , post some pics I want to see the new guy :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome, I am honored to be among people who love this breed. I can honestly say that my dogs have saved my sanity and made me whole when I was down.

I will put some pics of Bodhi, if I can figure out how.......

BTW, does he look purebred to you guys? Or mixed? I know it's a hard question.....

Attachments

·
Banned
283 Posts
lol, everyone is gonna tell you that without papers you will never know lol. And him being a rescue give him a high chance that he's mixed lol. But he is Gosh Darn CUTE! Love me some dogs with bright white on them! And he's a rescue which means he's gonna be THE BEST DOG EVER! lol :D

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
WOW great looking dog! Welcome!! If you use the advanced search up top you can search for phrases and see what pulls up. There are a lot of pups who have this, and you can try something until it works. It seems to depend on the time he gets it. Some people have had success with a thunder shirt Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment

My pup would get anxious when someone came to my house. I trained him to go to his bed when someone comes up to the door and wait for me to tell him to come say hi, once he knows who it is, or have the guest call him over to say hi. It gives him something to do when I tell him to go to his bed, and he inst left without having a purpose, he is supposed to wait til I say OK, so he ignores the new person and focus on being able to move again.

Other people I have seen have issues when you leave for a period of time (work, errands and what not). To address this you can try to pretend you're leaving and then give him lots of love instead of leaving. wait a little while, Grab your keys, Then open your door and give him love and don;t leave again. wait a bit, Then go outside and come right back in and give him lots of love. Then go outside for 5 minutes, then 10, then 30 and so on. It may take a few days, but basically you need him to realize he will get love when you come in the door instead of focusing on the fact you are leaving. Have him associated your coming home with good stuff, and not to worry when you leave cause he will get love (or treats) when you are back. The threads you search on will give more detail and what might or might not work based on when you see the anxiety setting in and in which situation.

Glad you saw the dog park sticky before taking your pup there. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts