Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, we had quite an eventful day with the foot and a half of snow and the vet tech today. anyway, Boo is home and she is very groogy. but she gets happy when mom and dad and family come home, she wags her tail but shes just very tired. im having 2 problems, shes thrown up about 6 times in 2 seperate events and her right eye is completly red and swollen around the pupil. The Vet said this is normal from the tranquilizers and anesthesia she was given. she hasent drank or eatin at all so P.S. im freaking out and so is my mother. Someone put our thoughts to rest please :|

Attachments

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
After our pup was spayed, the vets instructions were for no fluids until about an hour or so after they discharged her. Then after about 2 hours, you can give her some food. We were cautioned to limit activity and if vomiting or bleeding occurs, we should contact the vet or the pet emergency hospital right away.

If you tried to give her fluids or food right away, vomiting may occur.

As far as the swollen eye, I do not have an answer for that...sorry.

Let me know if you need anything else. Good luck!

Reactions: little boo

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
she hasent eatin r drinkin anything....she just vomiting. i called the vet and they said it was normal im just worried and i wanna know if this kinda stuff has happend to anyone else

·
Registered
546 Posts
It sounds like more of an allergic reaction than a normal reaction...have you found anything on google or have you searched through yahoo answers?

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Some people have the same reaction (vomiting) to anesthesia too. If it doesn't start to improve I would be concerned but she did just have a major surgery so some lethargy is expected. I would just keep a close eye on her and take her to the vet if it gets worse.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Get a second opinion on the eye? Some dogs just have a different reaction to the drugs used. My mom`s lab/pit when I got her spayed was lethargic and didnt eat or drink for almost a whole day. Poor baby whined the whole night, I felt so bad. I didnt want to over dose her with pain pills but she had a hard time the first night.
Just keep an eye on her, maybe talk to another vet about the eye.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I have worked for a vet it was a long time ago but I worked there for 8yrs and yes that eye is noraml. I have seen them worse than that aslo the vomiting is normal. I would hold off food or give her something bland like white rice and hamburger let her have access to water but once hse starts to drink dont let her drink too much she will vomit more.

Please keep us posted. Love to BOO

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have worked for a vet it was a long time ago but I worked there for 8yrs and yes that eye is noraml. I have seen them worse than that aslo the vomiting is normal. I would hold off food or give her something bland like white rice and hamburger let her have access to water but once hse starts to drink dont let her drink too much she will vomit more.

Please keep us posted. Love to BOO
u r now officaly My Mikado and not anyone elses :p thank u so much dude.

Boo got up at 530am and threw up again. this morning i got her up and she ate a tiny bit of food out of my hand and then went to the door and barked to go outside. she walked around in the deep snow for a bit and went to the bathroom so i think shes doing better. It scares me that she hasent drank much water really, a few licks here and there but she knows where her food and water is and can get it whenever she pleases.

i want to thank everyone else for your input and more would be nice :) but i was very concerned about the eye because i wasent a fan of the way the vet tech was talking to boo and pushing her off when she jumped up to say hi "im not in your space so dont get in mine" i think this person is in the wrong job if u ask me. Who says that to a puppy? really?

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I know what you mean. It takes a special person to work with animals day in and day out. I loved working for the vet I loved the animals. Lots of great memories.

Give Boo a few days to get back on track. If she wasn't much of an eater before her surgery you might want to baby her a little once a dog has go off food for awhile a day or two it is hard to get them back eating. That is why I suggested the white rice and hamburger.

Please keep the updates coming. Give Boo a hug for me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know what you mean. It takes a special person to work with animals day in and day out. I loved working for the vet I loved the animals. Lots of great memories.

Give Boo a few days to get back on track. If she wasn't much of an eater before her surgery you might want to baby her a little once a dog has go off food for awhile a day or two it is hard to get them back eating. That is why I suggested the white rice and hamburger.

Please keep the updates coming. Give Boo a hug for me.
ok gonna do it today, thank u

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
My vet did the same thing when my pups were little and they tried to jump on her. She didn't push them off, but she would turn her back on them and wait until they calmed down a bit. Just because they're a vet doesn't mean they like dogs jumping up on them all day long. :)

Good to hear about the eye. My girl Roxie wasn't as bad as Boo, but I think that was because she was held overnight, so she'd recuperated more by the time I got her back.

I was more worried about Kane, when he got neutered. I took him home the same day and he ran a little hot all night long, was really lethargic to the point he didn't even wag his tail or lift his head when I walked in the door. If he hadn't shown any improvement by the next day, I'd have taken him in to the vet in a heartbeat.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
Poor Boo. :(
I hope she gets better quickly. I'm sure with a little recovery time she'll feel better.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
How is your pup? better today I hope. Poor girl! One thing to be careful of is making sure the stitches don't get went by the snow or they will start to dissolve early. Mel just got neutered and the vet was clear no snow walking for 10 days, shovel a spot or walk in the street, nothing off leash for 10 days. I hope your girl is feeling better!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shes doing way better now, everything is pretty much back to normal...but her eyes is still pretty messed up. I really hope it goes back to normal soon

·
Registered
546 Posts
You might want to call the vet or take her back in and see if they can do anything about it. It seems like it should be back to normal by now. Does it still look the same as the first pic you showed us or has it gotten a bit better?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts