Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my Patterdale terriers just had diarrhea for the past week. It was starting to have some bright blood and mucous laced with it. We hoped it was going to pass, but had to take her to the vet. I was very nervous, because I had researched on the Internet and thought the worst. It turned out she must have eaten something really nasty at some point and it had upset the bacteria in her digestive tract. She had a very high level of a certain bacteria. The vet said yogurt would have helped. I had read something about that, but was afraid to try something on my own and lose my pup over it. The vet put her on several medicines and some special diet canned food. With two other puppies at home it was nice to know she wasn't contagious. Now we know something to try next time. It was worth the money to know she will be alright and not pass anything to the other dogs.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Good to hear that the pup will be alright and the others won't get sick either. If in the future you need to use yogurt make sure you buy the organic varity it has all the bacteria you need for a healthy system. The store brands do not. On a side note canned pumkin also works for an upset stomach and diarrhea.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Now that we have four dogs we are trying to figure some of this stuff out, so we don't have to take them to the vet all the time. I feel like the vet has gotten half my income this year :) I will be sure to keep this info handy next time we have a problem. Thanks again. I am always looking for little things like that, which can be done at home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts