Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously! Why do most people who own a bully or APBT feel the need to breed??? I have had my girl for 2 1/2 months and have lost count of how many people have either asked me to breed her to there male or to just breed her because they want a puppy. I have this lady at my work who has a 14 year old pit bull who isn't doing very well and she keeps bugging me to breed Bella so she can have a puppy. Then she says......"I will be able to at least get rid of three of them for you"?!?!?! Really....like I would just send my puppies off with any joe shmoe never to be seen or heard from again. Then I had this guy at one of my OB classes who doesn't even have a pit bull let alone a bully. He owns an Old Southern Bulldog and kept asking me to breed Bella to his boy when she becomes of age. I am just so disgusted at the irresponsibility with the owners of this breed. Around Boston it is all a status symbol to walk down the street with a pit or rottweiler at the end of the leash. You mostly see pit bulls though. I had some random dude at Petsmart the other day ask me if I want to breed his 119 lb RE dog to mine. I just can't get over the ignorance with this breed and the lack of population control! God forbid these morons around here spay and neuter there "pet". No...lets breed more pits and bullies to end up in the wrong hands or shelters to get put to sleep. It just angers me to no end! GGGGrrrrrr :mad:

Reactions: Lex's Guardian

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
How old is Bella? I used to get those same questions all the time! I have had people, stop their vehicles and turn around on more than one occasion! lol One lady was like begging me. I said "im sorry shes fixed" She looked shocked and said "why would you do that, shes so beautiful" And I said well for one, she had demodedic mange as a pup which is hereditary and she would pass it down, two shes not registered, and three theres an over population prob. I'm sure none of that mattered to the woman though.

I do feel sorry for the lady with the old dog who is not doing well. Poor guy. I wonder if she has ever bred him before.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old is Bella? I used to get those same questions all the time! I have had people, stop their vehicles and turn around on more than one occasion! lol One lady was like begging me. I said "im sorry shes fixed" She looked shocked and said "why would you do that, shes so beautiful" And I said well for one, she had demodedic mange as a pup which is hereditary and she would pass it down, two shes not registered, and three theres an over population prob. I'm sure none of that mattered to the woman though.

I do feel sorry for the lady with the old dog who is not doing well. Poor guy. I wonder if she has ever bred him before.
Bella will be 7 months next week. She has a great pedigree and some nice dogs in her ped as well but I would never breed her unless I put a championship on her in show. I'm going to see how she turns out for now. She is shy and I'm hoping she will come out of it so I can show her. If not she will be getting spayed. If I even considered breeding it would be done the right way. Health testing etc.

As for the lady I work with,, she has never bred her dog that i know of but she never fixed him either. She thinks Bella is just to pretty not to breed. I told her we can got to the shelters and adopt one once hers passes on. I told her I would take her. Her pit just lost an eye last week. It went back into the socket. The vet said it is due to age that causes it. Never even heard of that happening before. Anyways, I just can't get over the ignorance with this breed....so many pits put to sleep in shelters and yet joe blow down the street breeds just because he can.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hear ya! Same thing here in South Florida, a lot of ignorance and egos. You wouldn't believe one day I was approached by a guy about my age maybe a little older who asked if I wanted to breed my pit to his pit...he was walking a bull terrier! Apparently he bought it from a friend...I had to explain to him that he was sold a bull terrier not a pit, he got so mad when he found out. This is the crap I have to deal with around here :/

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I get it here too, even with my German Shepherd/Labrador Retriever mix. I've had people walk up to me and ask me if I will breed my Saluki with their dog...Took a few moments for me to realize what they meant.

My friend gets it all the time though and she has an APBT mix she adopted, I've gone on walks with her and the things people say are ridiculous. We've had people tell us it is cruel not to breed our dogs because they'd like it...Sigh.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
I know the feeling, The people below me,have a gorgeous female pitbull. Beautiful color... And they keep asking me if Bruno is fixed.....And if Beia is. They are going to breed their dog... It's so sad.

But I guess they are 3rd generation BYB. They know(and are related to) the people who own the dogs parents and the rest of the litters.

When they do breed...I want a puppy so bad,if it looks like their momma dog. But I just feel wrong in wanting one XD

And it gets old telling the same people over and over again,that my dogs are not breeding material.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I don't know but I set the price way too high not negotiable Bogarts sperm is gonna cost millions of dollars LMAO!! Once I tell them that they say oh ok with that puzzled look on their face and walk away hehehehe. Idiots LOL

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
totally sucks. I get that now, even though Mel is fixed. Scares me how little sense people have. Then when you try and explain it they don't get it, look at you like your the one who is confused. idiots. I still try though. one day it may effect 1 person is how I feel.

On the other note, my cousin volunteers at a shelter and always has a sweet spot for the old ones who are dumped off because their family can't deal with them anymore, but still have a good year or two left in life. She is a saint. Anyway, her newest "pup" retina detached in both eyes and she just had them surgically removed to stop the constant pain from the detach. That could have been what happened?

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
I hear ya! Same thing here in South Florida, a lot of ignorance and egos. You wouldn't believe one day I was approached by a guy about my age maybe a little older who asked if I wanted to breed my pit to his pit...he was walking a bull terrier! Apparently he bought it from a friend...I had to explain to him that he was sold a bull terrier not a pit, he got so mad when he found out. This is the crap I have to deal with around here :/
Yuuuppp... :rolleyes:

I use to get mad at how ppl reacted toward my dogs. Now I just look at it as another perk to owning a pitbull - they're also are naturally gifted at performing 'quality control'

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I have people asking to breed Vendetta without ever seeing as I talk about her all the time. Up here is harder to come by APBT even harder to find those that are registered. I would never breed V unless I can someday get her papers then show her but it will be done my way not just to help some joe off the street to get a pit puppy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We breed to produce show quality dogs for US. Yes, if we have a large litter we end up selling some, some for show homes, some as pets. We screen our homes very well and we do not overbreed. We have had 2 litters in 7 years and we only breed for ourselves, not because anyone else wants a puppy. We keep in touch with everyone who gets pups from us and encourage them to show and if they do breed we try to steer them in the right direction and also encourage them to health test and gain titles on the dogs before breeding them. Not all breeders are bad, but some yes are more about quantity and not quality. We have had numerous people ask to breed to Ooh-Rah and have turned down all of them because they either want to breed just to breed or they just simply aren't good people/owners as well as their female isn't want we think would compliment Ooh-Rah. If you breed it needs to be done the right way and for the right reasons. Our dogs that are not show quality/breeding quality are all spayed/nuetered, 6 out of 10 to be exact.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no problem with the "ethical" breeders.......they aren't the problem. Its the average idiots of America who breed just so there dogs can "get some" and breed for all the wrong reasons. Alot of our dogs in our shelters here in Massachusetts are pups taken from down south. Apparently they don't neuter and spay in some areas of the south which was told to me by one of the directors of a local shelter that I know. Its just a vicious cycle that I don't think will ever go away unless they enforce stricter laws on animal ownership. So many irresponsible owners, so many dogs dying in shelters (alot are pit bull or pit bull type dogs) and there is just nothing we can do about it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We breed to produce show quality dogs for US. Yes, if we have a large litter we end up selling some, some for show homes, some as pets. We screen our homes very well and we do not overbreed. We have had 2 litters in 7 years and we only breed for ourselves, not because anyone else wants a puppy. We keep in touch with everyone who gets pups from us and encourage them to show and if they do breed we try to steer them in the right direction and also encourage them to health test and gain titles on the dogs before breeding them. Not all breeders are bad, but some yes are more about quantity and not quality. We have had numerous people ask to breed to Ooh-Rah and have turned down all of them because they either want to breed just to breed or they just simply aren't good people/owners as well as their female isn't want we think would compliment Ooh-Rah. If you breed it needs to be done the right way and for the right reasons. Our dogs that are not show quality/breeding quality are all spayed/nuetered, 6 out of 10 to be exact.
You are an example of how breeders should act; I am dealing with joe shmo off the street who honetly thinks if their male dog gets laid it becomes more game :/ First the punk asks if I want to fight my dog with his, then when i told him i wasnt interested he asks if we could breed cuz he thinks his dog is too soft because it has never bred. I felt like laying that guy out on the spot it pisses me off to no end.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are an example of how breeders should act; I am dealing with joe shmo off the street who honetly thinks if their male dog gets laid it becomes more game :/ First the punk asks if I want to fight my dog with his, then when i told him i wasnt interested he asks if we could breed cuz he thinks his dog is too soft because it has never bred. I felt like laying that guy out on the spot it pisses me off to no end.
Wow! He wants to fight his dog but first breed him cause he's to soft wtf! Poor dog....wonder what kind of life that dog will have :( what a scum bag!

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
yea that is so sad. I've gotten my share of :poop: for getting Dosia fixed. I had someone ask me to bred him to their Muggleston female. I was like Um wow, no way!!!! Even if he was intact.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Hey I gotta stud dog you might like :p JK hahahaha Had too! I know the type, there everywhere, we all know people are willing to pay outrages prices for some of these dogs, and breeding our own dogs is about the only thing not made in China. LOL pun at our economic status ... I agree with you totally :D Jk:roll:

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey I gotta stud dog you might like :p JK hahahaha Had too! I know the type, there everywhere, we all know people are willing to pay outrages prices for some of these dogs, and breeding our own dogs is about the only thing not made in China. LOL pun at our economic status ... I agree with you totally :D Jk:roll:
:rofl:haha! that was good.....I will PM you when my girl is of age to "get some" :hammer: JK :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
there are those that breed for MONEY

and there are those that breed for the love of the breed, to better the breed, and for MONEY.

point Im trying to make is everyone breeds for money, that main not be the sole purpose of their breeding, but it is at least part of it. No one is giving away dogs for free, everyone that breeds sells their pups, and the best reputable breeder around with great dogs usually sells their dogs for a pretty penny. There is nothing wrong with that but I hate how ppl try and deny what they are breeding for. money is at least part of it.

You show me someone who breeds dogs and rehomes all the pups for free, (giving a few to freinds for free does not count) and you have showed me someone who does not breed for money.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
there are those that breed for MONEY

and there are those that breed for the love of the breed, to better the breed, and for MONEY.

point Im trying to make is everyone breeds for money, that main not be the sole purpose of their breeding, but it is at least part of it. No one is giving away dogs for free, everyone that breeds sells their pups, and the best reputable breeder around with great dogs usually sells their dogs for a pretty penny. There is nothing wrong with that but I hate how ppl try and deny what they are breeding for. money is at least part of it.

You show me someone who breeds dogs and rehomes all the pups for free, (giving a few to freinds for free does not count) and you have showed me someone who does not breed for money.
I hear what you are saying because a breeder will make some profit. However, the ethical responsible breeders are lucky to break even after putting money into a litter of pups plus care for the mother. Great breeders don't just throw there pups out there with just anyone either. Most of these scum bag backyard breeders let the pups go at 6 weeks or younger so they dont have to deal with shots and first vet checks. So they walk away with the money they sold the pups for. Then you have ethical breeders who keep pups until 8 to 10 weeks, vaccinate, and some crop ears. Like I said......lucky if they break even. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I guess we all hear the same things...people asking for our dogs to stud, or offering studs for our females...and in my case assuming that because we have a male and female that we're going to breed them (we aren't), and asking for puppies. Most of these people wouldn't have a chance in hell of getting a puppy from me if I went crazy and did breed them.
The thing is, where are all these people who think that way, got to be a bunch of them on this board and other similar ones, I'm new to this but I've yet to see any BYB'ers defend themselves in threads anywhere.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts