Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Ive been doing alot of research, and ive came across many ignorant people if you want to call them. Where they breed to the most popular bully there is. The dog on Atomic dog magazine, abkc champion, and forum hype.

Ive read in many articles, forums, and mendels theories, that the offspring really never take look to their parents. We have these people breeding to these nice lookin pups, but the outcome will be so much different.

In my experiences closely linebred dogs bred very selectively do produce pups that look like one parent or the other or a combination of both.

Ive been trying to find who my doggy is going to look like. Ive been using some pedigree trial software, which really sucks. I've also did it the old math on paper method. My pup has been line bred, as i can see some of the same names on top and bottom of the pedigree.

That would just find out who contributed the most genetically but phenotype and genotype are different.

How do some breeders know what they want to produce by bringing in random dogs? Not to mention they can bring certain traits in their breeding program as well as bad traits.
By either having done it before with a certain line or by really careful selection and culling of breeding stock that is sub par. No line is absolutely perfect so out crossing done right is never a bad thing.

Ive also read on other forums where many state that the pup takes the look of the grand parents(generation skip). Is this true? What are your thoughts?
Possible. More likely if you are breeding out crosses back into one line over another that is already in their ped.

Next, let say we have an outcross breeding where the puppies pedigree has no repetitive names with in the 4 -5 generations, but it has 2 repetitive names (where line breeding took place some time) will the pup still have the characteristics of the 6+ gen dogs?
Breeding is like gambling. It's just a roll of the dice. It's possible they could come out looking like those dogs....but less likely.
Then we have successful breeding who linebreed/inbreed really close, and get the same exact outcome almost everytime, but heres the tricky part, at some point in time they have to introduce an outcross, in order to not breed to close. How do they know to keep the consistency and look of their puppies.
You would keep consistency by taking the out cross x consistent litter back to the consistent line.
Conversation on GP FB Chat:

-My response was outcross, and the traits that made the bitch perfect would go out the window, since traits and dominant traits would pair up with the stud.
This is my opinion, can someone provide some insight?
You linebreed to set traits and outcross to bring in new ones. You would need to be very careful selecting any mate and not just by names in a pedigree but how well each dog compliments the other. If both dogs have the same fault they really shouldn't be bred. They should improve upon eachother or it would be a pointless breeding.

Since im on vacation, ive been trying to see who my girl will look like
I will use my girl envy as an example:
here's her ped: BullyPedia|The American Bully Online Pedigree Database
After some simple math it was 37% Kinky and 37% Nala, but here is my problem, since both show up in the pedigree, how do i know that the pup will not look like some one in the 5+ gen?

Just from looks the pup looks like shes going to take after her grand pa kinky.
-another proof to what someone had mentioned on another forum, that the pups take look of the their grand parents, but in this scenario kinky & nala were in the ped twice, adding a little more contribution to looks.

whats your opinion?
Looks can be way more complicated then just one gene controlling how some part on the dog looks so guessing who they could look like would be pretty hard. Like the top jaw and lower jaw are inherited through separate genes. You could have two dogs with the exact same phenotype breed them together and get something different because genetically they were not the same.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that some great information. Im amazed, i didnt know the top and lower jaw were based upon two different genes.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Your welcome. I recently found out myself. It is how you get over bites and under bites even though both parents have perfect bites. It is actually more then even just two separate genes though.
scientists have discovered that the size and shape of the mammalian mandible (or lower jaw) is controlled by a surprisingly large number of genes - over 15 have been identified to date. An equally large number are involved in the development of the maxillary complex, or what we refer to as the upper jaw. The kicker is......they are different genes, and inherited pretty much independently.
badbite

1 - 4 of 4 Posts