Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This of course is not about me. I'm asking for a friend. She has a male pup that she found out has demo mange. The vet told her that once it is cleared up that he will be ok to breed. Now I don't agree with breeding this dog at all, demo mange or not. I think all animals with demo mange should be spayed or neutered. Now I know that the mother passes the mange mites to the pups, and the pups that are born from a demo mange dam will develop it do to a low immune system. My friend says that her dogs full littermate sister does not have the demo mange. And the vet said her dog only has it because he is blue, and therefore his immune system is weaker. So do males pass on the gene to the pups to be predisposed to the mange? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
It is not sex specific. Yes the male can pass a weak immune system to puppies. It's not just because he is blue. He just got genes that his sister did not. The immune system has a complex inheritance it's not as straight forward as a gene for demodex.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Like Aimee said it is not gender specific and it depends on how bad the mange was if it genetic. A low immune system in pups can happen for many reasons and not mean it is genetic. Color has nothing to do with it but you do see more problems in blue dog because they are being over bred without consideration of breeding quality. Tell her to find a new vet he has no clue what he is talking about.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure if it is local or general, I haven't seen the dog in person. I will ask how the dog is doing when I talk to her again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts