Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just stopping in to ask for your advice.

I was just outside with Argos, and he stopped to pee several times. The last time that he did, I noticed bright red blood dripping rather than urine. Now, it's not at all uncommon for him to try to mark more spots than his bladder will allow him, so I don't have reason to believe that he is having trouble urinating, and he is not acting strangely in any way. I have noticed red drops on his penis a few times before today, but always figured that I was seeing things, since I never saw blood on the ground or any drops in the house. Today I definitely saw 3-4 drops of bright red blood while he stood with his leg up.

I've looked around online, and I've seen that bright (undiluted) blood doesn't usually indicate bladder/kidney infections, but I'm wondering if I should take him to the vet first thing in the morning?

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
YES.. the vet is a good idea at this point..

kidneys and bladder don't bleed for no reason..

dehydration
bad kibble per infections
worse case senerio:
bladder/kidney disease or cancer..

all in which requires a vet trip

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, he's always got water, and I feed him blue buffalo, so now I'm more worried that I was before.
I guess we'll be heading to the vet in the morning.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
YES.. the vet is a good idea at this point..

kidneys and bladder don't bleed for no reason..

dehydration
bad kibble per infections
worse case senerio:
bladder/kidney disease or cancer..

all in which requires a vet trip
:goodpost: I agree with Fire. Keep us posted on what the vet says, hopefully something simple to treat.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
Awe damn, poor Argos. Keep us posted please. He's such a sharp little dog, I hope he's alright and easily diagnosed

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
About to head to the vet now. It's a walk-in clinic, so it could take a while. Fortunately, the nurses like us and pulled his charts early this morning, so we're already in line.
As for the dog, he doesnt look like he's feeling bad at all, ready to go, wondering why I'm still sitting here.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Well man, if hes peeing blood or has blood coming out you need to have him looked at.. could be something with his junk .. who knows.. but one thing.. blood aint supposed to come out unless something is wrong.

best of wishes!!!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So we just got back, they took a urine sample and did some sort of test, said that it looks like an early infection (of the kidneys, I'm assuming).
Gave him a few shots, one to stop the urge to pee all the time, one antibiotic, and I forgot what the third was.
I've also got 10 days of antibiotics for him and some other pills that are supposed to increase the acidity of his urine.

As a sidenote, he is SUCH a titty baby when it comes time to get a shot.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
awww poor guy lol. Glad it was something simple they can treat .

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
pending diagnosis from the vet...
my boy had simliar symptoms. we battled reoccurring urinary tract infections for a several months. (intact males having higher frequency). we used Baytril to clear the infection.
then i started him on apple cider vinegar. it helped alot. but we had one more episode. so i added cranberry extract from costco (made by trunature i think) and he's been clear for 2 months now.
should be an easy fix if it's a normal UTI. but reoccurring infections may lead to prostasis, which is serious. so preventing them is important.
GOOD LUCK.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice and concern fro all of you.
Dr Lambert has asked me to bring him back in next Wed for a complimentary checkup, so I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

As always, GPB members are an invaluable wealth of knowledge.

[EDIT]: Doc said that the antibiotics should clear it up, but he wants to make sure that they've done the job; next week he said if they haven't he'll try a different antibiotic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If he doesn't seem to be getting better or the urinary issues re-occur soon after treatment (or re-occur frequently) x-rays to check for bladder stones. From what I have seen at work, stones seem to be occuring in more and more dogs. While a good quality food does make a difference in urinary health, some dogs are just genetically prone to developing stones reqardless of diet.

Also, make sure to ask if the urinalysis included a sediment screening. This tests for urinary crystals which are either precursors to stones or debris shed by a stone.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your pup that it's nothing more than a run-of-the-mill UTI.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, we went in last wed. for the checkup, and he was prescribed a new antibiotic, amoxicillin this time. I was out of town for a few days for work afterwards, and he was with my parents, taking his meds and everything.
I got back on Monday, and he doesn't seem to be any better. I'm not seeing a lot of blood (i never saw a LOT), but he still looks like he's having trouble when we go outside. Looks like we'll be going back tomorrow as Dr Lambert asked, and he said his next step will be to refer me for an xray for stones, as mjstk suggested.

If it turns out to be bladder stones, what happens now?
And I really hate to have to ask this question, but can anyone give me an idea of how much these procedures usually cost?

EDIT: Not sure if I mentioned this or not, but I've been feeding him Blue Buffalo Wilderness duck recipe kibble

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
If he has stones they will have to remove them. Not sure on how much it'll cost though. Hope everything works out alright. I was going to come on and suggest stones but someone else already said it :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just had a thought... Do you guys think maybe it has something to do with the Comfortis that I've been giving him?

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for the lack of updates, last Wed we went to the vet and they said that the antibiotics had cleared up some infection that was present, but that there was still blood in his urine sample. He was given Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride tablets at 300mg daily, and asked to come back again on Wed (tomorrow).
I'm not sure if the condition looks any better or not, he's still looking like he's having trouble, stopping at 6-8 different spots before coming back inside, but I guess we'll find out more tomorrow.
EDIT: He still shows no other signs.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
urinating in several different places is not necessarily a symptom of UTI. especially if he's unaltered, it's a common marking behavior. male dogs will intentionally stop their urination and "save" it for another spot to increase the area of their scent.
and once they empty their bladder, they will continue to try marking more places even tho nothing comes out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts