Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im not gonna go into crazy detail but long story short my brother is moving back in from Arizona to California until he can get on his feet and get a place out here, which is all good but he has a cat...
i personally do not have problems with cats, but im more worried about how my dog is going to act around it. Not only that even if my dog gets along with the cat well, which im prettttyyyy sure she will, im afraid shes going to try and play with it and get her eyes clawed out or something ahaha -__-
and this isn't like a tiny kitty or anything haha its a pretty big cat.
not like its fat its just bigger then the average cat.

So if you were me how would you go about this?
just have the dog and cat completely avoid each other?
or is it better to let them get to know each other so when they do cross paths its not like "who and what is that.. :confused:".

Thanks,
Eric

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Hmmm that's a tough one. I raised both my boys around cats so they were used to being around them at a young age. They like their kitties but the neighbors cats and strays they will bark at. We did adopt an older cat though. When I introduced them, I always do one dog at a time and make sure they are leashed. I tell them easy this is your kitty and hold the cat in my lap when I sit in a chair or on the floor. The dog will come up and smell and the cat will either accept the dog at that time or freak out. Make sure you have a tight grip on the dog so if the cat does freak out the dog can't chase. I'd do the "leave it" command if they try. Give the cat a little time and space and try again and if they can't behave then just separate them, they'll be much safer.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I saw see how it goes with knowing each other, but NEVER EVER EVER EVER leave them ALONE together. EVER. even if they seem best friends. I know someone who lost her TV due to loose cat and dog, lol. better than losing one of her animals, but still why set them up to fail. If you don;t crate your dog when he is alone, just make sure to keep the cat in their own space. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw see how it goes with knowing each other, but NEVER EVER EVER EVER leave them ALONE together. EVER. even if they seem best friends. I know someone who lost her TV due to loose cat and dog, lol. better than losing one of her animals, but still why set them up to fail. If you don;t crate your dog when he is alone, just make sure to keep the cat in their own space. :)
yea i don't even leave my dogs alone together just to play it safe.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Well I have both cats and bulldogs under one roof here is the thing when your not home to supervise the dogs go in a crate or out on a chain. These dogs are never to be trusted with any animal unsupervised at any given time. Both my dogs will chase my cat around the house and I let them the cat will let them know to back away. My cat usually jumps up on a high space and watches the dogs like a hawk lol. I really don't expect the dogs and the cats to be lovers bulldogs usually have high prey drive to where it's impossible for them to look at the cat as anything other than lunch meat. But if they get along that's great still watch them and never leave them alone in the same room unattended. I am not one who tries to force animals to friendship either they will like each other or they won't only time will tell. If you see the cat getting stressed by the dogs or the dogs trying to physically harm the cat put the cat in a closed room when the dogs are out and about.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm that's a tough one. I raised both my boys around cats so they were used to being around them at a young age. They like their kitties but the neighbors cats and strays they will bark at. We did adopt an older cat though. When I introduced them, I always do one dog at a time and make sure they are leashed. I tell them easy this is your kitty and hold the cat in my lap when I sit in a chair or on the floor. The dog will come up and smell and the cat will either accept the dog at that time or freak out. Make sure you have a tight grip on the dog so if the cat does freak out the dog can't chase. I'd do the "leave it" command if they try. Give the cat a little time and space and try again and if they can't behave then just separate them, they'll be much safer.
the previous owner of my dog had a cat but im not sure if they ever spent much time around each other.
i think my best bet is to get in contact with and ask if how my girl did around the cat and go from there.

thank you :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have both cats and bulldogs under one roof here is the thing when your not home to supervise the dogs go in a crate or out on a chain. These dogs are never to be trusted with any animal unsupervised at any given time. Both my dogs will chase my cat around the house and I let them the cat will let them know to back away. My cat usually jumps up on a high space and watches the dogs like a hawk lol. I really don't expect the dogs and the cats to be lovers bulldogs usually have high prey drive to where it's impossible for them to look at the cat as anything other than lunch meat. But if they get along that's great still watch them and never leave them alone in the same room unattended. I am not one who tries to force animals to friendship either they will like each other or they won't only time will tell. If you see the cat getting stressed by the dogs or the dogs trying to physically harm the cat put the cat in a closed room when the dogs are out and about.
yea i guess it just going to be a wait and see kind of deal.
iv been kind of stressing on it because i don't want my dog to hurt the cat and have my brother hate me haha. or have my dogs eyes clawed or something. Guess i'll just have to wait and see

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Great advice everyone. They should never be left alone together. My kitties have their own room :)

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
our dogs get roomed when we're not home tini likes to chase the cats but nothing happens the cats dont go all kamakazi the cats probably gonna be scared of the dog for maybe a little less than a month to possible a month. they'll get used to each other. my sister has a cat that backed a pit into a corner and made it pee itself. her and tini got along kinda he tried to chase her and he got smacked she wasnt very nice to begin with but no harm done no one clipped her nails either cuz she was kinda unstable. really just depends on the cat. i trust my dog enough not to eat one of the cats though sometimes i wish he would. if your worried about your dog gettin hurt for no reason have your brother trim the cats front nails only that way he wont get stratched for trying to play but leave the back nails intact so that if need be the cat can protect itself a little. high places are a great thing too :thumbsup: that way the cat can escape any of the dogs shinanigans and help it get used to the house faster. its funny any cat that we see on the street tini wants to go after but our cats he just leaves alone and if they get out he heards em back in side always a plus. good luck though

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
yea i guess it just going to be a wait and see kind of deal.
iv been kind of stressing on it because i don't want my dog to hurt the cat and have my brother hate me haha. or have my dogs eyes clawed or something. Guess i'll just have to wait and see
I here you there. Cat's will use those claws if they sense danger LOL. If I see the dog's getting to fixated on the cat's showing any signs of aggression other than just being playful I remove the cat from the situation. I put the cat temp in my bedroom and just close the door just make sure the litter box is in the room where the cat is in case they have to use it lol. I am pretty good at reading my animals so I know when enough is enough. Usually though when the dog's are out playing the cat get's herself up high enough where the dog's can't get to her cat's are very very smart LOL. It's funny watching them play cat and mouse. I also am comfortable breaking up fights so if my dog's ever got a hold of one of my cats I would be able to get my dog off quickly with a break stick. If you don't have one they are very useful and really needed in case of emergency situations it's better than trying to use your hand that's for sure LOL.

Here is just a few shot's of my dog's and the cat it's manageable just have to know when to intervene if need be and keep a very close watch on them at all times.

As you can see they are not the best of buddies they more so just tolerate each other through passings LOL. My dog's are always curious about the cat and they love to chase her around and she will jump up someplace high and hide until they go back in their crates LOL.

·
Banned
314 Posts
My own dogs dislike cats...however, in the vet waiting area the cats are so used to dogs, they do not run, so my dogs are fine. I think it's the movement that kicks in their desire to "catch" the cat...but Sunday nights, when the trash is out, they know the kitty's will be looking to cause trouble, and always want to be out, or go for walk to see cats.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I here you there. Cat's will use those claws if they sense danger LOL. If I see the dog's getting to fixated on the cat's showing any signs of aggression other than just being playful I remove the cat from the situation. I put the cat temp in my bedroom and just close the door just make sure the litter box is in the room where the cat is in case they have to use it lol. I am pretty good at reading my animals so I know when enough is enough. Usually though when the dog's are out playing the cat get's herself up high enough where the dog's can't get to her cat's are very very smart LOL. It's funny watching them play cat and mouse. I also am comfortable breaking up fights so if my dog's ever got a hold of one of my cats I would be able to get my dog off quickly with a break stick. If you don't have one they are very useful and really needed in case of emergency situations it's better than trying to use your hand that's for sure LOL.

Here is just a few shot's of my dog's and the cat it's manageable just have to know when to intervene if need be and keep a very close watch on them at all times.

As you can see they are not the best of buddies they more so just tolerate each other through passings LOL. My dog's are always curious about the cat and they love to chase her around and she will jump up someplace high and hide until they go back in their crates LOL.
see the thing im worried about (and this is an honest to god true story haha)
is my bros cat does not run away, the things a little fighter. One night my brother got home from work and he heard the sound of a dog running behind him. He turned around to see a dobe, (doberman) running with a cat chasing behind it, when he looked closer it was his cat judas hahah -__-
so im worried that IF my dog does advance on his cat, he wont back down and will fight which will result in a dead cat.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
If the cat will advance the dog's than yeah you might have a problem. You will need to really watch the cat. If the cat is not fond of dogs or has never been around them in the home. It could very well freak out. Most likely your dog's being as though they are pitties are going to be VERY curious as mine are of anything that moves LOL. They will chase the cat down to try and see what it is and if the cat reacts and get's scared or feels threatened it will react by hissing or clawing at the dogs. So you can kind of do like what Krystal suggested and leash your dog's around the cats introducing them gradually. If you have your dog's on a leash around the cat they can't do anything as long as your holding on to the end of leash. Your going to have to just observe you know what could happen which is a good thing. Don't force them to get along if they don't like each other that's totally ok. Just ask your brother to keep his cat locked in his room when your not home so no one get's hurt.

·
Registered
287 Posts
any cat at my place just becomes dog food. i would suggest keeping the dog and cat separate whenever possible, at least when no one is around. i prefer to err on the side of caution and i just wouldnt let dog and cat anywhere near one another. depending on your dog, it can most likely end the life of a feisty cat before you can do anything to save it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Never leaving them together unattended is good advice, but if you want to get a good start don't even introduce them right away. Keep the cat enclosed in a room with everything it needs and let both the dog and the cat get "acquainted" through scent for a few days before even attempting to make introductions. You could also feed both of them near the door but on opposite sides during those first few days.

The cat needs somewhere high that it can lay to feel secure and get the lay of the land and when you are ready to try introductions leave the dog in a crate and let the cat walk around so they can check each other out.

Our first week after bringing Maggie home to our two cats was a little tricky but all turned out well. Maggie still doesn't care much for our male cat but she puts up with him and understands that he is MY cat, and she is not to snap or lunge at him. We all sleep in the same bed at night and it's all good. I think a lot depends on a slow and patient introduction.

·
Registered
294 Posts
sounds like how it used to be at my house lol. btw our cat (rip) looked just like yours. someone let her outside andthe dogs got ahold of her in the backyard.. oops. (the kids still do not know =X )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts