Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on being at this meeting. I've taken that night and the following day off. I'm going to see if the sheriff from White county will go over with me. I think an official will have some impact. I'm also going to ask to speak and I'll be handing out the same info there that I did in White County. This time however, I'll have some added stats:

There is an estimated 3 million pitbulls and pit mixes in the US. Only 1 in 6 will find a loving forever home.
For every one placed in a shelter, 599 die. Unfortunately that does not exclude puppies.
There is an estimated 4000-6000 shelters in the US. They estimate the pitbull population in the shelters to be 40 - 60% of the total shelter population.
75% of shelters euthanize pitbulls upon arrival, with no chance to ever find a loving home. Of the ones that give them a chance, many only provide 24 hours.
A study done by Animal People found pitbull euth rates in shelters to be 93%
In closing I will add:

Does anyone here have a dog at home? A dog that is truly a family member to them? If so, go home and hug them tonight. Because while you go about your life, 17,000 dogs tonight will be killed. Among those, 8,500 dog will be pitbulls, killed in a single night. You have the power to put the brakes on these numbers. Or you have the power to make them much worse. To take these dogs from their families where they are loved and have them killed. It's your choice. Only you can stop the media hype and the witch hunt in Dandridge.

Last month, the Dandridge city council voted to pass an ordinance that would ban "pit bulls" from the city limits. The city took TWO votes in ONE night in an attempt to limit the action from citizens of Dandridge against what they knew would be a controversial proposal.

Only one vote is needed to make the proposed pit bull ban a law, and that vote takes place on October 13, 2009. This is our ONLY chance to turn this thing around, and we need to make a VERY BIG impact. Please make every effort to attend this meeting. You do not need to speak or make a presentation, you simply need to show up. We want the council room to be packed.

BSL ALERT - DANDRIDGE, TN

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We won!! They've scrapped plans for a breed specific ban and are looking at other towns non-breed specific dangerous dog laws!

It was a wonderful showing - 50 or 60 people - and this is a very small town, so I was really impressed. A couple other bully rescues - Bless the Bullys and East TN Bully Rescue - were also present. Aside from that the residents impressed the hell out of me. They brought in tons of info they'd printed out as well, showing stats, case studies, etc that breed banning doesn't work. Almost every single person there stood to talk. Nearly an hour and a half of the public speaking.

There were a couple times I was nearly in tears. Some very moving people. It was a wonderful meeting and it showed that the commission was really listening!!

Dandridge: no pit bull ban for now

Reactions: StaffyDaddy

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
We won!! They've scrapped plans for a breed specific ban and are looking at other towns non-breed specific dangerous dog laws!

It was a wonderful showing - 50 or 60 people - and this is a very small town, so I was really impressed. A couple other bully rescues - Bless the Bullys and East TN Bully Rescue - were also present. Aside from that the residents impressed the hell out of me. They brought in tons of info they'd printed out as well, showing stats, case studies, etc that breed banning doesn't work. Almost every single person there stood to talk. Nearly an hour and a half of the public speaking.

There were a couple times I was nearly in tears. Some very moving people. It was a wonderful meeting and it showed that the commission was really listening!!

Dandridge: no pit bull ban for now
That is awesome. Way to step up and make a difference. We're all so different, just like our bully breed dogs, but it's just that that brings us together!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congrats !! it is so good to hear some positive movement towards saving our breed !! thanks again for your hard work and determination to perserve the breed If my dogs could talk the would thank you !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts