Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else have any dogs that are terrified of bug zappers? I mean peeing themselves, won't go outside scared? Any advise how to get these bellied up rescues to man up?

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've thought of trying to condition her to like the zapoer, like bring her out.on a leash give a treat every time it zaps. But I can't barley get her outside. She FREAKS!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
I've never had that issue, Ecko fears no noises. Air compressor, gun shots, nothing. Sometimes I think it might be that he is a little "special". LOL!

Maybe start her in the house while the bug zapper is going, and work your way out and towards it. Hopefully she picks it up quickly. Is she afaid of storms? The dogs I used to house sit for were, we played loud movies like Top Gun during storms and never had a problem. Not sure if that helps with the bug zapper bit though. My fingers are crossed for something working for you. :)

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No she's not afraid of storms it's just the zapper. My other rescue jumps at it to (I'm like whar can you hear there screams!?!) But not my Cheza, she is completely freaked. Starting inside is a good idea. Guess it's time to bust out the raw hamburger meat again. Lol

Yes my two not rescues are find, nothing fazes them, but the rescues are very soft. Super sweet but very soft.

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Ecko would sit IN the bug zapper for some burger meat. LOL!
Hopefully she learns to phase it out. Run her butt off first. She'll be to tired to jump. :)

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol ya run her then I'll just get her used to outside again with it off then work her with it on. It's just the weirdest thing. Little spaz

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
I don't have a bug zapper so I can't answer that. But I do have a fly swatter and when I start smackin flys Odin usually ends up in his kennel. I think he thinks im tryin to swat him maybe?

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dunno Lucy kinda jumps and hunker down, but Cheza bucks and will either run to her kennel or under a table and will pee when I reach for her collar. It's pretty pathetic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ha my neighbor has one and I thought Jack would freak out when he heard it but he doesn't seem to be scared of it at all and now just ignores it. He's a little more worried about being attacked by a butterfly or a bird lol.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is she scared of the zapper while it is off? Or just when it is on?

If she is scared of it while it is off then just take it down and let her see it maybe?

I haven't heard of dogs being scared of a bug zapper before but my bosses pit Daisy will run and hide if you pick up a tazer. Which she was probably abused and zapped with one before they got her. But my own boy Jaws isn't scared of the Tazer at all, he tries to go after it after it makes the zap noise.

The noise might just be sensitive on her ears, or just startle her? I agree with starting her off in the house while it's on. Or maybe just leave it on for a long time, like day and night. hearing the constant zapping might not be so scary after a day or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts