Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend wants a bully and I am set on the idea of getting a nice bulldog... well I feed what I want and he feeds what he wants. So here is the thing, what kind of bully should we be looking for? I would like to start going to some shows and want a bully that I can work and do a sport with. I am totally new to ambullys so I have no clue on what kennel would be good or what "style" would be good for our life style. I am trying to feel this bully love but am not sure where to look to find one to love lol. Tell me a little about these dogs. Thanks guys!

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Go to a few shows and you will be able to see for yourself what is out there. Also, check out our Bullies 101 section. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. Where are you located? I can give you some show dates in your area. Also, make sure that you don't buy a dog, especially a bully, sight unseen. If you are going to spend $3000 on a dog then you need to spend $300 on a plane ticket to put your hands on that dog.

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats why I figured I would ask around for some advice before purchasing a bully. They are for sure the fad dog and I dont want to get anything that I will regret later (health issues, temperament problems, ect.) Like I said the boy friend wants one and unfortunately he wants to pick one based on collar so I figured I would learn all I can and try to steer him to a good one. I am located in Bay City Michigan. Thanks for the help.

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what are the more staffy looking bullys called? what style of bully is that? is that the most athletic one? If so what are some good blood lines to look at for that style of bully? thanks

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
what are the more staffy looking bullys called? what style of bully is that? is that the most athletic one? If so what are some good blood lines to look at for that style of bully? thanks
I am assuming you mean smaller by staffy bull looking. That is pocket class Am Bully. If you want a more athletic dog I would go for standard class. RE, in my opinion, is the best bloodline for American Bully, but I have also seen a few RE/Gotti mixes that are nice.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
classic bully is probably what you will be looking for but there are some really nice and clean looking standards as well, best to check out shows and the dogs you see that catch your eye go talk to the owners and ask what class they are and just talk to them. you can find bullys who want nothing but to lay in bed and cuddle all day and find others that if your not out running them and playing with them they are driving you up the walls lol, so find a dog with the energy level you want ,check out the parents. if you find a breeder you are considering post them up and those that know about them can chime in if they are reputable or not. You obviously have time right? and arent rushed ? so take your time. With you wanting to do activities and sporting events with the dog I would check into kennels that health check OF or penn hip { not many bully breeders do that } there is a good one on this site you may have to wait if they dont do many breedings, but you want to have hips checked on parents with what you want for your dog IMO.

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am talking about the ones that look more like a staffordshire rather then a english bulldog as far as body structure.. let me see if I can find a picture. again thanks for the help.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
I am talking about the ones that look more like a staffordshire rather then a english bulldog as far as body structure.. let me see if I can find a picture. again thanks for the help.
Am Staff? That would be classic style bully. Sorry, I thought you meant Staffy Bull.

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ramos's Omega Red

this one looks nice. Not too thick and has a nice build IMO. Looks like a worker.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts

Ramos's Omega Red

this one looks nice. Not too thick and has a nice build IMO. Looks like a worker.
That dog was bred by ABKC head of judges, Ron Ramos. His name is Omega Red and he is Remy x Cookie. Standard Am Bully

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have time and am more then willing to wait to get a good one. The only thing is my boyfriend wants a blue and white one... eh. I dont want to judge the dog on the color but again its for him not for me.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
I have time and am more then willing to wait to get a good one. The only thing is my boyfriend wants a blue and white one... eh. I dont want to judge the dog on the color but again its for him not for me.
Conformation over color. You can have a dog with a bangin coat and it be a hot mess conformationally. Structure is of the utmost importance.

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
again thanks guys for all the info and help. sorry if I am driving you nuts with questions just trying to understand.

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Conformation over color. You can have a dog with a bangin coat and it be a hot mess conformationally. Structure is of the utmost importance.
I absolutely 100% agree. But convincing him is a pain lol. I figured I would research then say "here pick one from this kennel" then hopefully we will have a nice one body structure and temperament and he feels like he wins because he picked it :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I think for what you are wanting classic or standard would work for you , but its finding one with good structure like lauren said , you can have classics and standards with messed up form. there are some really nice xl's as well that are built well and athletic they are just taller { the big ones you probably dont want would be the extremes they have more mass then the other classes}

1 - 20 of 30 Posts