>From RPOA Texas Outreach and
Responsible Pet Owners Alliance
"Animal welfare, not animal 'rights'
and, yes, there is a difference."
Crossposting is encouraged.
August 21, 2011

RPOA's position is that microchipping our pets should be a decision made
between the pet owner and their veterinarian, who discuss and carefully
weigh the advantages against the risks before making a decision.
Microchipping our pets should not be mandated by local, state or federal
governments as our animals are our personal property. All species of pets
may be microchipped.

Information at link and below is from our good friends -- California
Federation of Dog Clubs regarding CA SB 702.
Geneva Coats, R.N., Secretary

Time 4 Dogs: "Eternal Home Again" Microchips

American Veterinary Medical Association's website:
"As with almost anything, it's not a foolproof system. Although it's very
rare, microchips can fail and become unable to be detected by a scanner.
Problems with the scanners are also not common, but can occur. Human error,
such as improper scanning technique or incomplete scanning of an animal, can
also lead to failure to detect a microchip." (End of AVMA quotes)

Microchips are a wonderful tool in relocating lost pets with owners, but
they are not without some pitfalls. There have been rare instances of
microchip insertion resulting in death by infection or hemorrhage, as well
as cancer formation at microchip sites.

MORE INFORMATION AT LINK:
Time 4 Dogs: "Eternal Home Again" Microchips

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See and all of my dogs are microchipped, and Odie will be too just as soon as I can afford it or find a low cost place to do it. I just don't think it should be mandatory.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't think any living creature should be microchipped. Frankly to me its a very slippery slope from having your pets chipped, to having your kids chipped. Now if they came out with a gps collar that was small and looked good I'd get that, or maybe if they fit it to a tag for a collar.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I don't think any living creature should be microchipped. Frankly to me its a very slippery slope from having your pets chipped, to having your kids chipped. Now if they came out with a gps collar that was small and looked good I'd get that, or maybe if they fit it to a tag for a collar.
if a dog can be a cop then a dog can be a kid, never let anyone tell you otherwise

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just think it should be up to the person and not mandatory is all. I personally don't mind having my dogs chipped. But to each their own and if kids were chipped then maybe there wouldn't be so many abductions each year.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Lol I wont go there cuase stuff like this can really get me worked up. We shall just agree to disagree. But I do agree with it should up to the owners.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
See and all of my dogs are microchipped, and Odie will be too just as soon as I can afford it or find a low cost place to do it. I just don't think it should be mandatory.
man your lucky animal stuff in texas is cheaper like fixin pets. they wanna charge us over 300 to snip tt. finding a place that wont charge you and arm a leg and maybe a toe would be almost impossible in my area... i have no need for a chip anyways though people here would just take the dog and not check for a micro chip. just my 2 cents.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stoner, they wouldn't check anyway, it is strictly for MY peace of mind and knowing that IF anything were to happen my dog is chipped. Tats can be removed and microships can't, end of story. Of course I am wayyyy to protective of my dogs to let them be loose or on a chain in an unenced yard I am just saying it should be the oowners choice to do so and NOT the state tellin you you have too :D

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Stoner, they wouldn't check anyway, it is strictly for MY peace of mind and knowing that IF anything were to happen my dog is chipped. Tats can be removed and microships can't, end of story. Of course I am wayyyy to protective of my dogs to let them be loose or on a chain in an unenced yard I am just saying it should be the oowners choice to do so and NOT the state tellin you you have too :D
lol i got what you were saying and i agree 100 percent. im just saying you texas people are lucky XD it sucks i have to drive 100 +miles to save 200 dollars on what should be like 75. and that i have no use for one XD. how much does it cost for a neuter in your area?

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depends on wehre you go, there are two places in Austin that do it low cost and it is less than $50.00 a dog unless the bitch is in heat. Now my vet that I have is a great vet but he charges by the lb and a dog under 55 lbs is roughly $60 to $70 and a dog over that is right at $100.00 just for spay/neuter. Microchip is a WHOLE other subject, lol. That in itzelf is right at $45. to $65. Unless you find it thru one of the low cost s/n clinics :D

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Id rather see mandatory micro chips over mandatory spay neuter. I think every dog should be chipped and maybe make those people more accountable who just dump there pets off in the middle of nowhere then they can scan the stry and that person should be fined . I see this as helping in alot of ways and it isnt a bad idea. I do see some of your points most people dont like being told what to do period but this is a better option then spay neuter laws. HOWEVER it should be for every breed not just ours I see more small dogs running lose and they are usually more aggressive then our large breeds , whats good for 1 should be good for all in my eyes.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Depends on wehre you go, there are two places in Austin that do it low cost and it is less than $50.00 a dog unless the bitch is in heat. Now my vet that I have is a great vet but he charges by the lb and a dog under 55 lbs is roughly $60 to $70 and a dog over that is right at $100.00 just for spay/neuter. Microchip is a WHOLE other subject, lol. That in itzelf is right at $45. to $65. Unless you find it thru one of the low cost s/n clinics :D
kinda jealous.. they tack an extra 50 bucks for big dogs when i was calling in whats messed up is the "low cost clinics" only gave you like 10 bucks off.

·
Registered
546 Posts
When my cats were spayed/neutered it only cost 10$ extra for microchip and with my dogs it was 30$ extra per dog. O__o I did it because I felt if my dogs ever got loose for some reason they wouldn't end up in a shelter put to sleep because nobody wants to adopt a vicious (lol) pibble... they're my kids and tracking devices aren't availible yet xD otherwise they'd have those inserted too. Idk... I see risks but everything in life has risks. Heck your dog could be the healthiest dog in the world on a human raw diet and perfectly conditioned and still get cancer... so... I am pro microchipping. I think pros outweigh cons.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dang Stoner that sux, seems they aren't really low cost after all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts