Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to Calgary with my 21 wk old babygirl Nikita! Anyone know of meetups or anything where I can get Nikita socialized? Thanks everyone! (ps id like to avoid the high prices places if I can cause just moved here! If it's possible!)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
not sure about calgary , there arent too many of us canadians on here ;). I would aviod dogs parks and places like that. I would focus more on socializing with people then other dogs , places like the pet store walks in parks and anywhere you go that she cango take her. Another optionis maybe looking into some group classes like puppy classes and obedience type classes.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Welcome, Just like Angel said, you don't necessarily need other dogs to make your pup social. Keep in mind, these dogs do not need other dog friends and could become Aggressive towards other animals, not matter how often they are around other animals.

these link has some additional suggestions.
http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-...ing-american-pit-bull-terrier-your-puppy.html

Post some pics of your pup when you get a chance! Love seeing new faces :)

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Welcome, not quite sure what your asking here in terms of specifics but socializing a pup does not equal playing with other dogs. A well socialized dog will remain confident, stable and sound under new environments.. From extreme to basic and not just confident in the normal every day to day scenarios.

The best way to socialize any hound is take them every where, explore new places together and remain confident in positive in your actions as your pup will also look for any signals you may be displaying.. For instance if someone is following you and you are uneasy, generally speaking your pup will take notice and will their actions will be a reaction of yours paired with what comes natural to them.

Anyway, explore new parks, (leashed, no dog parks) walk new and different trails that offer a variety of different sights and smells, introduce new objects from trash cans to people to dogs. However, with the APBT and other breeds that share the same history if you look back far enough.. DA (dog aggression) is a high likely-hood and you should not only prepare yourself for it as your pup matures but also needs to be taken into consideration with other dogs.. As a general rule under 6 months is your "safe" period where you want to do the most interaction with other dogs.. this doesn't mean play dates unless you so wish to.. but it does mean meet and greet leashed and in control of the situation. The first few moments of a pup meeting another dog, sniffing, reading reactions.. that is what is most valuable in terms of socializing.. Many people mistake dogs playing together as socializing when this just isn't the case. Of all the dogs i've had over the years i've very, very rarely allowed my own bulldogs to interact to the point of playing with others.. Now all people will view this differently however in the end i've never had an issue of fear aggression or breaking dog.. Always confident and sound from the most relaxed environments to the most stressful of times.

Thats really all i'll say for now as im not sure where the extent of your knowledge goes with these dogs and it can be a lot of information to take in.. Hope you stay and learn as much as you can.. For both your benefit and your new pups.

Just don't make the mistake of "its all in how you raise them" as this is not an argument with backbone and is just wrong on every level with these dogs.. You can't raise or train the genetics to be different nor can you make a non HA dog HA.. Of course, locking them in a cage 24/7 will do it but no one in their right mind will do so.. :)

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new to Calgary with my 21 wk old babygirl Nikita! Anyone know of meetups or anything where I can get Nikita socialized? Thanks everyone! (ps id like to avoid the high prices places if I can cause just moved here! If it's possible!)
For this breed really all they need is basic puppy socialization from an early age until about 6 months old you can do that at obedience classes where the dog has brief interactions with other dogs but on a leash so it's completely controlled they are also taught basic obedience at the same time which is great for any pup. Don't go to dog parks and don't take your dog around strange dog's without having the pup on a leash. You can also take your dog to pet smart on the leash and walk around the store for 30 minutes just to give the pup some brief but limited interaction with other dogs make sure before you do this your pup has had all it's shots. Most Bulldog type breeds especially the APBT are highly DA so at some point your dog's genetics will superseded any chance of any long lasting friendship's with other dogs. Most APBT's will start to turn on as they sexually mature around 18-24 months old. But some can turn on a lot earlier than that I have seen them being separated as early as 3 months old just depends on the dog. Bulldog breeds don't require pet buddies bonding with their owner is more than enough since these dog's have a high desire to please their owners you will find them working for you all the time and that's really all the attention they need to thrive and be happy.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I find the best place to socialize a pup and to practice obedience and it doesnt cost anything is parking lots. I head to the mall parking lot on saturdays and I can work my dog in a high traffic area with lots of distractions. Then we can just walk around and he can practice meeting people. The get to meet people in wheelchairs, baby stollers, walker are in use and crutches too sometimes.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Thats awesome! Hold is your pitty? Nikita is 9 months. Ever have time for play dates??

Of all the information just here and a quick search.. Did you really just ask for a play date?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lmao. relax buddy. unlike some people I don't spend my lifes spare time reading every single thread or post on forums. Are you too mature to use the word play date? Someone needs to take their Zoloft.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Id rather see 2 responsible owners set up a play date then see the dogs in a dog park where people dont always pay attention. We used to have play dates with luna and the neighbours golden x , however dont expect puppy play dates to always last. Things can change at any time and you should be aware of the body language and signs to determine when to seperate or have time outs and when to cancel further play dates. I dont see a problem if its someone you know and are both supervising the play time, alot of people on here do it as well. Just stay away from dog parks , and be educated to know they can and often do develope DA so you can be prepared and aware. I wouldnt do play dates with mine once they pass 6 months, just cause I have seen that time when they change and dont think its worth it.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
maybe some people don't believe in socializing their pitbulls, I on the other hand do.
Just to note socializing isnt all to do with other dogs, it other people, new places ect . We do more socializing going on walks places, down to the water, in pet stores { except my DA dogs we dont do high pet traffic areas} . Not all to do with other dogs.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Just to note socializing isnt all to do with other dogs, it other people, new places ect . We do more socializing going on walks places, down to the water, in pet stores { except my DA dogs we dont do high pet traffic areas} . Not all to do with other dogs.
:goodpost: play dates are okay if thats what you feel you want to do however it is only as good as the owners.. break sticks ready, kept leashed and in a private yard.. These are the LAST type of dogs that need "play dates".

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Agree KM , I can see if puppys and want to do play dates with people you trust but they dont NEED it. More for owners enjoyment then the dogs. Comes down to alot of people humanizing there dogs.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
maybe some people don't believe in socializing their pitbulls, I on the other hand do.
Oh and just to follow up on this comment, i have been around these hounds my entire life and i've never allowed "play dates".. Never have had a poorly socialized hound.. A well socialized dog means they remain confident under new situations, whether that be people, animals, sounds, sights, etc.. A confident dog and mentally stable.. The first few moments of a puppy being introduced to another dog is all the pup needs to achieve what is needed.. Greet, sniff, move along.

No breed needs play dates however breeds with a genetically instilled [] history, including the APBT/Bulldog, especially do not need to play with other dogs.. I would much rather work my hounds regularly throughout the year, heavily exercise them, proper diet and keep them the way they need to be kept vs. attempt to fight the hounds nature, have play dates or do what the vast majority do... Maybe walk them a few times a week, over feed and far under stimulated..

You don't have to be on here all the time, hell i'm not.. I go through spurts myself, periods of being on here periodically sometimes just about every day, then other times not at all. You've been here long enough to read up on some good information.

·
Common Sense Expert
699 Posts
on this forum there is so many knowledgeable people but I like KM's advice most it's always straight to the point and honest maybe not what people want to hear but defiantly what they need to know

1 - 17 of 17 Posts