Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i went out to feed dogs wensday and found that Miss Cali had been tring to play with snakes again :( now normally i come out and find her and Tyson playin tug-of-war threw the pins with them but not this time... i searched the whole yard and didnt find a dead snake so apparently this one won. i talked to some of ya'll on fb about it but it didnt want to put any pics on there. Shes doin alot better. when i found her wensday she was still jumpin, playin, and eatin (i dont see how with how big her face was!) ive got her full of antibiotics and ibeprofen (sp).. anyhow shes doin much better today most of the swelling is gone except where the bite marks are at. i swear shes fixin to turn 6 and shes still tougher than most of our males dogs..lol

here is when i found her

and this is her now :(

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
OMG poor baby! I've had that happen to Marley as well. He just won't leave them darn things alone. I hope she feels better soon (hugs)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
OMG you were right about how swollen she was!Poor girl.I know you had to have been a wreck when you found her.I'm glad to hear she seems to be doing better and won't have any lasting effects.I'll still continue to send good vibes your way.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys.. shes doin alot better.. it freaked me out at first but she isnt the first weve had to be snake bitten.. shell be back to her old hateful self in a few days :D

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
fyi ibeprofen is deadly to dogs, it is one of the number 1 dog killers. just to let you know. asprin is ok but do NOT give your dog ibeprofen!!!! glad she doing ok

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
God that is terrible. :( I agree with Aeriel.... when Helena was injured badly, we got her some dog aspirin at the pet store. I hear you can give them buffered aspirin but I had no idea what that was haha so I just got the dog kind.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info ariel... ive been giving asprin for many many years.. ill check into that but over the past 8 years ive never had any issues with ibeprofen

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
Assuming you talked to your vet while she was there for her bite I'd guess they gave you a proper amount to give? o_O
Most vets in my area would chew anyone out for giving that med to their dog but maybe others allow very small doses? I just never heard of it and you are lucky you didn't have any toxicity issues over the course of the years you have given it.

Glad it wasn't much worse then it could have been. I have heard of dogs being bit and being found on their chains or kennels dead from a snake bite.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Assuming you talked to your vet while she was there for her bite I'd guess they gave you a proper amount to give? o_O
Most vets in my area would chew anyone out for giving that med to their dog but maybe others allow very small doses? I just never heard of it here.

Glad it wasn't much worse then it could have been. I have heard of dogs being bit and being found on their chains or kennels dead from a snake bite.
i actually have a family friend who is a vet and we do as much as we can ourselves without taking them in... weve been doin this for awhile now and when you have as many dogs as we have on our yard you dont rush them into the vet everytime something happens (id be broke for sure in that case..lol) cali is actually the second dog on our yard to be snake bitten.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Ibuprofin can cause stomach bleeding, ulcers and kidney damage. Small amounts may not seem to be causing problems but they can be doing damage to your dogs:

25-125mg per kg of body weight - symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, stomach ulcers;
more than 175mg per kg of body weight - the above symptoms plus blood in the stools, acute kidney failure;
more than 400mg per kg of body weight - the above symptoms plus seizures, coma, disorientation;
more than 600mg per kg of body weight - death.

from Ibuprofen - are you aware how toxic it is? | Dog Topics

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Yeah, Ibuprofen is a BIG no no.....You could be doing more harm than good with home treating her. If I had gone out and found my dog like that I would have rushed her to the vet JMHO. I understand not running to the vet for every little thing when you have a kennel full but I would think snake bites are to be taken seriously? I'm not trying to come across as a jerk Jessie just being honest ;) I am glad she is doing better though :)

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, Ibuprofen is a BIG no no.....You could be doing more harm than good with home treating her. If I had gone out and found my dog like that I would have rushed her to the vet JMHO. I understand not running to the vet for every little thing when you have a kennel full but I would think snake bites are to be taken seriously? I'm not trying to come across as a jerk Jessie just being honest ;) I am glad she is doing better though :)
i have a vet on stand by.. like i said i have a family friend that is a vet.. i called him and since she never quit eatin, playin, or jumping around we knew she was going to be ok.. i did freak out when i found her but when you have as many dogs standing on the yard as we have thats really not the worst thing to find.. and shannon (sp) its kool.. i would say the same thing if i was on the other end of the computer ;)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
i have a vet on stand by.. like i said i have a family friend that is a vet.. i called him and since she never quit eatin, playin, or jumping around we knew she was going to be ok.. i did freak out when i found her but when you have as many dogs standing on the yard as we have thats really not the worst thing to find.. and shannon (sp) its kool.. i would say the same thing if i was on the other end of the computer ;)
I knew you would get where I was coming from :roll: Oh, it's Shanon with one "N" LOL! A little different from the "norm" but what is normal these days ;)

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
i actually have a family friend who is a vet and we do as much as we can ourselves without taking them in... weve been doin this for awhile now and when you have as many dogs as we have on our yard you dont rush them into the vet everytime something happens (id be broke for sure in that case..lol) cali is actually the second dog on our yard to be snake bitten.
ah, ok that is understandable. It is ALWAYS nice to have a vet as a friend. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Wow! When you mentioned the bite I couldn't imagine! Poor girl I am so glad she is looking better! It's amazing how a she wouldn't let a little snake bite get her down! Amazing pups!! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts