Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter and son-in-law have a 'Blue something pitt, cant think of the breed right off. We were visiting with them and they have a two year old Pitt and a one yr old Lab. Zeke (the pitt) is very jealous of the lab (Archer). While sitting in the kitchen talking we heard Zeke growling. My daughter and I turned to see and Zekes eyes were glowing red. When my daughter saw she called out in a strong voice "Ezekiel!" We saw his eyes return back and the red literally receded back to normal within maybe two seconds. This dog is a very well loved and obedient dog. He is normally very loving and sweet. My daughters husband I dont think believes us and thinks maybe we are exaggerating some. But I'm telling you I and my daughter both saw that dogs eyes GLOW red! Has anyone here heard of that? Do their eyes do that when they become angry? I'm just a little freaked out on this.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I barely know where to begin with this. Let's begin with basic physiological stuff. NO BREED OF DOG has eyes that differ from any other breeds eyes as far as what you are describing. IN ALL MAMMALS, including people, extreme arousal will cause a dilation of the pupils, this can be caused by good arousal (sexual attraction, happiness etc) or conflict arousal. Dilated pupils might reflect ambient light more effectively than the Iris color. The eyes do not 'glow' nor are they red, nor is it in any way, shape or form connected to whatever 'breed' you may think the dog is.
Blue is a color, not a breed. Pit Bull has one T, so does Pit, unless you are talking about Brad Pitt, he has two TT's.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,362 Posts
if you seen the red reflection illuminate his pupil so you could see light reflecting back from the "mirror" we'll call it in the back of the eye. .. Dogs eyes reflect, red, green, or very few reflect a type of purple or both red and blue. .. these dogs get excited and like mentioned the pupils will dialate, they even get a "walleye" look when in the "zone" kinda like a shark it is a protection trait found in primarily fighting bulldogs and bandogs.

Dogs eyes glowing? Seriously? Like superman red eyes? I think I want some of what your smoking, no animal has this ability. This is real life.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
if you seen the red reflection illuminate his pupil so you could see light reflecting back from the "mirror" we'll call it in the back of the eye. .. Dogs eyes reflect, red, green, or very few reflect a type of purple or both red and blue. .. these dogs get excited and like mentioned the pupils will dialate, they even get a "walleye" look when in the "zone" kinda like a shark it is a protection trait found in primarily fighting bulldogs and bandogs.

Dogs eyes glowing? Seriously? Like superman red eyes? I think I want some of what your smoking, no animal has this ability. This is real life.
I dont think thats smoke i think its injection...

Reactions: redog

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,563 Posts
heres a pic to go with what was described above.... although i have never seen red reflection in dogs... my boy's eyes are always blue with the flash of my camera.

oh and like Kingsgurl said. there are no "breeds" of pit bull, blue is simply a color.

·
ONE BAD MOTHAPHUCKA
3,237 Posts
Lmao what did I say the other day...every time I think I've read it ALL... Holy cow. A couple people above have lined you out about the blue thing. APBT is its own breed. That stands for AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER. Red nose, blue nose, brown nose, purple nose, any color nose under the sun just means the nose is whatever color it is. It is NOT a different type of APBT or a different breed. It is just the color of the nose. Personally I take pics of my dogs all the time. One of their eyes turns cloudy blue in pics another turns red while some of them stay normal. I don't think that has anything to do with the breed of dog or his mood at the time...but I ask that you please don't pass that thought on to others. The last thing an already misunderstood breed needs is yet ANOTHER misconception.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts

Stan, are you referring to the protective eyelid (nictitating membrane) that covers a shark's eye when feeding or fighting? I wish bulldogs had that LOL. No, but seriously while we're on the subject of fish...there are many deep, deep sea fish that exhibit flourescent "glowing" properties thru out their bodies, even their eyes. But yes, this post was entertaining!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At the very least guys you could have been a little kinder. However unbelievable it may sound, I am very serious. No, I know absolutely nothing about Pits (one T!) And I didnt know they are all the same breed. It really doesn't matter anyway. That's the reason I posted to ask. I am sorry I wasted all of your time.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,563 Posts
@LadyTee. I re-read through the comments and I didn't see anything that I would consider rude. We have a strict rule here about not insulting other or their dogs. No one expects u to "know anything about pits".... just be open to learning. This board is about education and I think u received some valuable information here. And to answer ur question directly, no their eyes do not glow red when they are angry. Simple trick of the light, that is all.

·
Premium Member
5,098 Posts
It sounds like reflection of light and nothing more. But honestly, ” do pit bulls eyes glow red when angry” is up there with the brain swelling making them snap or feeding them gunpowder to make them mean.

We've heard a lot of ridiculous questions, but this one takes the cake.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
most likely you just saw a reflection of light in them. No dogs eyes will glow red when mad. You have to admit how silly that sounded, people were not being rude just questioning if you were serious as that is really an obvious question you asked. May have just been your mind playing tricks, reflection of lights ect. If you thought it was red cause he was mad what other signs was he showing that he was mad??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know it sounds crazy, but I saw what I saw. We were in the kitchen in the middle of the day. I will accept that possibly it could have been the lighting but how would you explain the color in the eyes receding right before our very eyes? my daughter saw the same thing and she was sitting in a different place. But sure it could have been the lighting. He was growling and baring his teeth. I will leave it at that. I did not want to convince anyone of what I saw. I just simply wanted to know if the pupils could cause the red glowing color that I saw. I have no knowledge of pit bull dogs. That is why I asked. Now I know, thanx for all your replies.

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Street light changes color? Someone drive down the street and put the breaks on? Tv or computer commercial that ha red in it. A magazine with red reflecting. How about the light from the stove or burner reflection. There are many many things color can bounce off off. Who knows many reason why they could change color from reflection.

We get a lot of jokes posted. Don't take offense people were tying to help you. Please don't hesitate to ask in the future when you know better you do better. We all trying to help!

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,362 Posts
Nope.. but schizophrenia could.. seriously.. anyone who has had cats in their life has a particular kind of schizophrenia caused from inhaling the bacterial gasses from the litter box dust. 60% of the nation owns cat or has owned cats.. Food for thought...

St. Francis.. not the nicitating membrane, but that walleye look.. I've had quite a few game dogs and noticed a good portion had the ability to roll their eyes back, also a dog in fighting mode that is hungry for the kill has a look in their eye like a fixed walleye.. Yes fish and invertibrae of those areas of non illumation have developed chemicals that emmit light.. I should have said terrestial mammals.. LOL

the other option is demon possession.. ALL seriousness.. If I ever seen my dog start growling and barking showing teeth and everyone saw his eyes glow red; depending what he was barking at that dog might be euthanized. If hes chasing ghosts in your house, thats a whole other story and you should be on a different forum with different questions.

:D I make jokes as if I would make them about myself :D

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Nope.. but schizophrenia could.. seriously.. anyone who has had cats in their life has a particular kind of schizophrenia caused from inhaling the bacterial gasses from the litter box dust. 60% of the nation owns cat or has owned cats.. Food for thought...

St. Francis.. not the nicitating membrane, but that walleye look.. I've had quite a few game dogs and noticed a good portion had the ability to roll their eyes back, also a dog in fighting mode that is hungry for the kill has a look in their eye like a fixed walleye.. Yes fish and invertibrae of those areas of non illumation have developed chemicals that emmit light.. I should have said terrestial mammals.. LOL

the other option is demon possession.. ALL seriousness.. If I ever seen my dog start growling and barking showing teeth and everyone saw his eyes glow red; depending what he was barking at that dog might be euthanized. If hes chasing ghosts in your house, thats a whole other story and you should be on a different forum with different questions.

:D I make jokes as if I would make them about myself :D
Otherwise known as the "Monday morning" look:)

·
Premium Member
5,098 Posts
I think I know what Stan is talking about with the walleye look. Loki's pupils dilate when he gets fixed on a toy I am about to throw - he's super intense about his toys. He also did it twice when we were watching our old roommate's husky pup. She had vestigial dew claws on her back feet that would get caught easily and cause her to squeal in pain - both times it happened while we were watching her Loki became fixated and tried to go after her. Luckily I was able to prevent him from getting her and avoid a tragic incident but on both occasions he got a look in his eyes and fixated completely on his target.

Sounds like the OP's daughter needs to look into crate and rotate. If this "blue pit" is not getting along with the other dog and is zoning in and growling at the other dog then there is a potential fight waiting to happen. This should be more of a concern that what color the dog's eyes appeared to be.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
I am sorry but dogs can't shift the color of their eyes with emotion..
You and your daughter seen what is called tapetum lucidum
which can range from red yellow/green/blue/white and even lavender purple...
I'd be worried if a dog didn't reflect light when it hits just right.
You came here asking a silly question and we gave you the corrective response..
Call ghost busters if you prefer to think supernatural.. LOL!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts