Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering if ACL tears can be genetic? Such as, a dog has weaker ACL's that are more apt to tears do to bad breeding. Helena tore both of her knees before age 2. I have always wondered if it was my fault for letting her run and jump too much before age one.... or if she could have been genetically predisposed. When Helena tore her first acl, I don't know how she did it, she just came up lame one day. And I don't know what happened. The second happened when she was running with another dog. Is there a way to prevent it?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't think it has been proven genetic, if it were genetic in dogs i'm assuming it would be genetic in people. Hmmm good ?

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just wondering. Because Helena wasn't doing anything a normal dog wouldn't be doing when she was hurt. And she was over a year old when the first one happened. I had never experienced this before I got her.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah neither was Suri, but once I joined the yahoo group for Conservative Management it's amazing how common an ACL tear is.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
It would be interesting to collect pictures of dogs who have been through cruciate tears and see if there is a link between rear angulation and the injuries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts