Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my puppy pitbull cross mastiff is 7 1/2 months is it ok to put a weight harness on him now or should i wait itll he is 1 or 2 years old?

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I personally weight until my dogs are 2 years old before adding real weight. With a puppy you can just get them used to the feeling of pulling something behind them, like an empty jug or a light chain. But I personally wouldn't add real weight

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
you can get him used to the harness and like was already said put light weight... a small chain works great and gets them used to noise behind them so they arent scared of it ;)

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
You can also get a walking/working harness.

Nizmos K9 Supply

They are less expensive then an actual custom made harness. And they have multiple uses. It can help get your dog used to pulling. And I agree start with an empty jug. I liked using the Hawaiian punch jugs, they have a handle at the top, was easy to clip a rope too.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Yes you can start your dog now. Our dogs were pulling by 9 months. Introduced to harness by 3 months, light pulling/draggin at 6 months. Regular light work at 7 months.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Yes you can start your dog now. Our dogs were pulling by 9 months. Introduced to harness by 3 months, light pulling/draggin at 6 months. Regular light work at 7 months.
Fantastic :goodpost: .... younger dogs can be conditioned. obviously not "worked" but exercised :)
This one has been amazing all her life! She would watch some of the older dogs pulling us through the neighborhood and wanted to do it sooo bad! You could see it in her, it was funny.. she would go stand in front of it and sit by the chain :)
‪Puppy Powered Go-cart‬‏ - YouTube

Im the one runnin.. My buddy is filming, he's funny
Its so much fun riding the go cart around with the adult dogs :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Fantastic :goodpost: .... younger dogs can be conditioned. obviously not "worked" but exercised :)
This one has been amazing all her life! She would watch some of the older dogs pulling us through the neighborhood and wanted to do it sooo bad! You could see it in her, it was funny.. she would go stand in front of it and sit by the chain :)
‪Puppy Powered Go-cart‬‏ - YouTube

Im the one runnin.. My buddy is filming, he's funny
Its so much fun riding the go cart around with the adult dogs :)
my rule of thumb with brock has been to watch him close and never let him strain or pull so hard he has to distort his frame.
some good exercise isnt gonna hurt em but putting pressure on joints and shock sure will. A friend of mine sent me some horrible pics of dogs ruined by starting too soon.
i also dont plan on getting serious until we get his health testing complete at 2 .
I dont see any reason you cant got to a pull between 1 and 2 years and just let them get some time in . You gotta check your ego tho and withdraw em before they start to hunker down. Thats what i have been doing anyhow.
I also start light and work up every time .. make sure thier connective tissues are all ready to go !
You wouldnt start bench pressing at 350 ... dont expect your dog to .

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
thats great way. Every dog is different and each has its own limits and strenghts. Responsibility is in the hands of the owner.

·
Registered
55 Posts
my rule of thumb with brock has been to watch him close and never let him strain or pull so hard he has to distort his frame.
some good exercise isnt gonna hurt em but putting pressure on joints and shock sure will. A friend of mine sent me some horrible pics of dogs ruined by starting too soon.
i also dont plan on getting serious until we get his health testing complete at 2 .
I dont see any reason you cant got to a pull between 1 and 2 years and just let them get some time in . You gotta check your ego tho and withdraw em before they start to hunker down. Thats what i have been doing anyhow.
I also start light and work up every time .. make sure thier connective tissues are all ready to go !
You wouldnt start bench pressing at 350 ... dont expect your dog to .
i second this

·
Registered
798 Posts
There is no harm in getting a harness on him and some empty water jugs with a few pebbles to make a noise behind him. So that he gets use to sounds and something on it. Though start with the harness alone first.

There are a lot more people who do weight pulling and could get better advice then I though

·
Registered
70 Posts
The earlier you start training the easier I would not put any serious weight on him yet but get him used to pulling and staying focused after they learn this the rest just comes, both of our new pups took 1st and body pound at 1yr. old just watch the dog and don't take him to far. No show is worth hurting your dog!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
so what about getting one of those harnesses that you can put water bottles in to build muscle?? would 10 month's be too soon to start? or should i wait a little while longer?

·
Registered
55 Posts
so what about these vest that you can put on your dog that can be weighted with water
bottles and stuff like that? or is this a very strict one year and a half rule of no serious weight at all?

·
Registered
68 Posts
lmao, heavyjeep, that video is awesome of your pit pullin the lil go cart with someone in it.

i hope my lil puppy is into pulling when she's older! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts