Go Pitbull Forums banner

can my dog defend himself against large agro dogs.

17K views 165 replies 15 participants last post by  hashbrown 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I live in South Africa new to the forum,just need to know. I have a large male and med size female, male around 35kg.I have had 2 before.My prev male was from a really good bloodline, intelligent, obedient, but game, fast, tenacious and very powerful. Where I grew up dogs would often roam the streets, ppls dogs wud get out etc, but as pit bull owners we considered our dogs superior in the sense that if they had to they cud defend themselves. I detest dog fighting, and I hate seeing my dogs fight, its like seeing someone u love fight,but I have always been comfortable that if they had to they cud protect themselves.My first male at times, I was forced to unleash him and give him my attack command, because I cud not prevent the other dog from attacking him, bigger dogs smaller pits, he was always ok till help arrived. Recently tho I have read things that concern me a bit, for example on my walking route now there are two rottweilers, im a bit concerned, they go ape when we walk by, what if they got out? Can my dogs fend them off till help arrives? Do we pick them up and run lol, kidding the rottis will prob catchup and maul us. Seriously tho, do I send my wife to get help while I risk getting mauled by a rotti or is it likely my dogs can defend themselves till help arrives?

#2 ·
you hold the leash and give the dog his head.. ;) if he's all bulldog at heart and skill a rottie will be like a warm up exercise...

You have a fighting bulldog... they love to fight.. get use to it. Here in the states in the 30-50s dogs often ran free and if you had a Pit Bull you expected your dog NOT to cause trouble and damn sure finish any dog that wish to..

#4 ·
Like I said, hate my dogs having to fight, but if they had to I always thought they wud be ok, my prev male looked naturally very skilled, it was almost unfair towards other dogs even though many were bigger, i wud always stop the fight asap, however I read and was told that rottweilers are known to kill pitbulls with relative ease, hence my concern. I have not seen a pitbull and rottweiler go at it.

#29 ·
sounds like you have an ongoing and reoccurring problem. i used to tell my mother that i HAD to fight other kids on the school yard because i was a victim and only defending myself. never threw the first punch. but i always threw the last one... then one day i started telling the truth. i purposefully put myself in those positions to be attacked.
there is not reason for your dogs to fight that often. if you can assess how "skilled" a dog is, then you have seen it scrap on multiple occasions. and since you "always" stop the fight, how do you know the dog has natural talent unless you let the game play out? and if you are such an expert on natural talent, why can't you assess your new dog?
an owner who does not tolerate dog fighting would not be trying to solve this problem. that owner would be doing everything possible to prevent that problem.

#6 · (Edited)
Man... I got my first bulldog cause of ghetto ass "pitbulls" running loose mobbin every dog that got walked down the road... I come back with somethin sired by tant stuff... AND EVERYONE got their dogs off the street. All it took was once. While Im saying get your dog, get your dog.. and BAM!! Then the dogs screamin to be let go of and the owners acted like they wanted beef then I cracked out a plethora of State, County, and city law...

It worked... I gotta dog that protected my children and themselves from any and all threats.... That is a dog. JMO I dont have bulldogs so I can also carry mace. However I to have suggested mace, and not any.. the sticky adjustable bear mace.

NO reason you should be afraid for your or your dog... .. JMO .. I dont take alternate routes I tell them fools to control their dogs... Even here in the country when they see me and turk running the 2mile square they pull their dogs in. Hell I ran snooty and a male chow come out to sniff her, she rocked that damn dog so hard and she was half its size. The guy come out and APOLOGIZED!!!! While I got her to drop and controlled her head. Country dogs run loose all over and when they come by, they BOLT.. .. the neighbor has german bred GSDs , them damn dogs come over to intimidate and man..... Fitz on the chain let out one bark, them GSD was gone! Runin lookin for an opening in the fence. One of these days that GSD will run over while Im gone and that'll be all she wrote. Idaho law says if your dog is off lead and off property its your fault for what ever damage ensues. Unless your outside the city limits and your dog gets hit by a car, then its the drivers fault. In the city limits its the dog owners.

why do I have the dogs I do.. Because there aint gonna be no more accidents!!! I mean by other peoples dogs hurting my dogs or my family... The bulldog will be there. Do I urge them to fight.. NOPE.. if its warranted I let it go while I calmly find a good parting device (stick, tootbrush handle, etc).. I had a neighbor who had a tibetan mastiff, that damn dog chases everyone and their dog.. he come over bout once a week to try a go at hooch.. .. he ran into my yard one day and Hooch was on the drag chain... OH SHIT!! Im hollerin at the old man to get his dog and he meanders over there takin his time and IM TRYIN TO SAVE HIS 7K dollar dog! HE thinks my dog needs savin, till he gets there and I unhook the drag chain from hooch and go inside... LOL I know he thought OH SHIT! Now what!!???!!! I came out with parting stick and plucked Hooch right off.. THIS JACK ASS LETS HIS DOG GO AGAIN!!! I go inside again.. bring him a leash, pop the dogs off each other.. Hooch had that dog tip toeing around the property edge after that... damn dog chased down a couple girls walkin their labradoodle... jumped that dog I ran out with hooch and that tibetan mastiff HAULED ASS BACK HOME !! the girls said thank you.. the neighbors were NOW scared of my dog not the tibetan mastiff.. :hammer: Hooch broke the dogs larynx he couldnt even bark right. Thats why.. Rex was 180 and just rough as it gets.. Hooch was 65 at the time... LOL and the people who liked rex were adamant that it was Hooch that was the problem.. :hammer:

SO.. no matter what dog you have, one day or another if you walk them often or have neighbors a stray or loose dog will engage... Dont freak out, just handle your business.

#7 ·
Hey OP, how are your dogs bred?

Just out of curiosity... and before you decide you can rely on them to fend for themselves...

'Cause I know I'd sure hate to assume my dog could handle his own against a Rottie or TM, only to find out the hard way that he can't...

#10 ·
I just expect like most ... fear of the unknown. .. with my statement I was leaning towards: they have a real bulldog along with a tender heart. You want a dog that can protect you but are worried it could get hurt .. now that makes sense.

Those are a couple of my life examples.. as to what a bulldog can do for your safety.

#14 · (Edited)
In some African communities they wall hyenas.
FH, I've met several s. African folks and maintained A few friends. Their laws are not thought out applied or respected like ours. That said he's got to deal with this realistically in his own.
As to topic. The dog should indicate something to you as to its desire to engage. Historically the dogmen were usually close in their diagnosis when they chained that pup to A spot thinking it could stand at least A few rolls and hopefully A test for game.
Their were slight variables yet the quest was the same.
They had A soldier and they knew they could make it A warrior.
Imho (h-humble) A pit bull soldier if you will is superior to other breeds Warriors.
As long as it shows the characteristics of desire
I feel that you would be better served to ask what to look for in your dog first.
My dog now, she may not go through A game dog yet I honestly feel she would die in hold were I too push the point. Regular dogs? Where's my shovel?

#16 ·
Got my blades and ready for the ice! :rofl:

Yes that makes perfect sense. I thought most of the dogs were real bulldog over there just for that reason you mentioned...... Guess slop and street bred dogs can happen anywhere regardless of geographic location. If I was in S. Africa... LOL you better believe I'd want nothing but the best *gamebred* dogs on the larger side of spectrum. Probably wouldnt mess with anything but alligator :D JMHO ;)

#18 ·
Definately backyard breeds can happen anywhere. A friend of mine use to breed really high calibre dogs. I recently went onto some local breeders websites and I am not at all impressed, but thats just me. Is it normally this hard to get answers on this forum?

#23 ·
Yup , the wall is thataway>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We attempted to answer your question with the information provided , thing is you wanted folks to fawn and slobber over you and tell you what you wanted to hear.

And damn straight we're American , this would be a bad place to start with the anti U.S. rhetoric , even more so since you're from S.A..

And you'll have the exact same experience in *any* forum where folks know these dogs.

#22 ·
Read WillWill* Ol'Dog and my posts ;) your answer is there.... With the information given ;)

You want a deeper conversation? Different question answered? Re Read your original post and re post what your really trying to say, ask, etc...

I own a bulldog so I don't have to worry about i.e. other dogs... NOW I have to worry about the other dogs lives when it comes to neighbors for civility :pup: whole different stressor LOL

#25 ·
#26 ·
Griffen what part of SA are you in? I have heard the story about rotties taking pits apart too. When I got my pup I had my dad tell me about a guy he knows who lives on a farm in KZN who breeds big headed papered rotties who took out the neighbor's pit bull who jumped the fence. That said this is the same farmer who set his rottie on a burglar and got away with it.

I also know that there are a lot of people along the coast who are actually fighting dog (dispute it being illegal) who are breeding dogs for their gameness rather than anything else. And to be honest I would rather take a puppy from one of those breeders without papers, than one of those "American red nose game dogs" who looks more like a AmBully than a ADBA registered American Pit Bull Terrier.

I am not trying to bash you, but these guys in here know a ton, and are willing to teach if we are willing to learn.

Out of curiosity, how and where is your Pit Bull registered? I looked on KUSA and they only register AmStaffs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#46 ·
Hi there, tx for reply,I am in CT.I have owned and lived with pit-bulls for over 10 years so not looking to learn that much, just asked a question, I dont really hang with the local dog guys that much anymore. My dogs are registered with American Dog Preeders association and I wont nor have I ever posted any of my dogs reg papers on a public forum that is silly, the info can easily be used to fraud and reg pups from other litters which happens here often. LOL and to prove what? To some oke in the States that u have a pit-bull?? Funny, they dont even know our bloodlines. Last I heard Kusa dont recognise Pit Bulls as an official std breed, hence u cant reg pitbulls with them

My dogs are mostly carver and rocky if I go on there papers and what the breeders said.There is still alot of fighting going on in the Western Cape and I am sure elsewhere. There are also tons of awesome looking pits who are not registered. My previous male who died recently at the age of 13, was from fighting stock and omg he was a handful, I could definately see the difference compared to dogs breed more for things other than, power and fighting ability.

I get what u saying with the farm incident, but I mean more 1 v 1, and ofcause dogs are different, but I mean a well "gamebred" pitbull and a well bred rotti, is it likely the pitbull can handle his business.

Both my first male and my current one look more what they consider in the states as AmBully`s imo, I will contact a friend of mine who was a registered breeder and ask him he knows alot more about our bloodlines than me, they are longer legged, bit more bulky and muscular and a bit bigger than the shorter legged pits, but those seem to be the ones preffered in SA?

Maybe this forum isnt so bad if there are other cool ppl I will stick around :)

#27 ·
I believe the answer you're actually looking for, that hasn't been said here, is that *WE* (as in, the members of this forum) don't actually know what you'r individual dogs can do, seeing as we've never laid eyes nor hands on your dogs. We could blow smoke all day and you continue to walk the route you walk, and when those Rotties get loose and jump you and your dogs, you walk away empty handed. That's the only reason you were asked to post your dogs' pedigrees, so we could get a "feel" for what you're walking on the other end of the leash. The pedigree won't tell us everything, but will give us a good idea of what potential your dogs possess. No need to get upset and dance around the questions that were asked. My question is, why even put your dogs in that situation to begin with? I mean, unless you really want to know the answer, which would then require you letting your dogs have a go at the Rotties. That's the only way you'll really know the answer. Not trying to be mean, or rude, but there are other forums that you won't even get as much as you have out of by posting this same question, just saying. Some of these dog forums won't even give a new member the time of day. Either way, best of luck in your endeavors and whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: OldDog
#33 ·
Rotties are bigger dogs ..essentially they're the genetic left over of the bear biter .. as the APBT is the bull biter ... Rotties are basically bulldogs too. They jaw pressure is equivalent to wild dogs of africa 300lbs avg.. There are hard biting APBTs of course but that has alot to do with lines as much as the dog. Some dogs like to bite hard. Some know no better.. Some are light in the mouth.. IF SA is like ya'll describe, then theres no reason not to have the best game dogs out there JMO and should be willing to share pedigree or known history willingly. A one on one with a well bred dog a rottie is not gonna stand a chance, a double dog situation is dangerous for any dog or owner.

#51 ·
I saw that natgeo thing with the Rotti, American Pit Bull and GSD, where the Pit game last in the bite pressure comp.By local stds that Pit looks very small, I am sure my male for example wud bite alot harder than him as he is bigger with a broader head. Not that I am saying bigger and harder biting means the dog will do less damage, when I use to watch dog fights smaller pits often beat bigger ones due to stamina, speed etc.
I agree with u, I also think a well bred pit bull will handle his business even with a rotti. Tx.
Dude no offence I dont know u, and this is a public forum, I will post pics of my dog, but I consider there reg papers as personal info, so wont post that. I dont know u, why wud I feel the need to justify my dogs pedigree to someone in the States? If u dont believe me that my dogs are gamebred that is ur choice.

#35 ·
Best thing to come out of south africa was dave Matthews. Hes still from american parents though....

Youd figure supposedly owning an AMERICAN pit bull terrier you wouldnt have such a distaste for us. Is south africa still under british rule or are yall back to rubbing red dirt all over and running around a fire naked?

#36 ·
Wow I missed the you take your dog off leash and give it an attack command. After you say you don't agree with dog fighting?? At least they have rules you're just looking for trouble. Breed discriminatory Legislation is WORLD WIDE stop using your dogs as a weapon and defend them so you can still have the right to own them. And why own an American Pit Bull Terrier and come to an American forum to ask for opinions and then try and act like people don't know what they are talking about. You do speak English in South America right? Or is it a language barrier??

Sent from Petguide.com App

Reactions: OldDog
#37 ·
Woah! Just tap pits... Dave Matthews isn't the ONLY good thing from SAfrican shores... Charlese Theron is ours too! Haha

(Oh and btw, the mud comment is a little below the belt.)

Btw Griffen, you just made SAfricans seem ignorant! On an international forum can you rather be an ambassador for our country and this beautiful breed. (Our government is doing enough negative PR for all of us)

I am seriously curious about your dogs preds Griffen

#84 · (Edited)
LOL!!!!!!!!!! Quick how many rapes and murders in the states every year? not exactly low on crime over there either? And also, invade any defenceless countries lately? :). A poor bullied kid shoot up any schools lately???
U wana have a go at my country, I can do the same with urs, lets see who runs out first. I can do this all day.

#39 ·
Lets just cut to the chase here folks , JokeAloha called it right. " Cause there is a whole lot of decent blood in S.A. , stuff went there from Ablizin , there's a buncha Redboy type dogs , a bunch of Jeep stuff , quite a bit of Alligator stuff through Limey Kennels , Garner blood etc.etc. I know for a fact that some of the Ch. Iron King stuff went from russia to S.A.

#40 ·
Olddog so it possible to get a very good dog in SA?

I am quite curious to find out where they are hiding, and where they are registering, and if they have events for weight pull.

Just tap pits... It's shocking that that is the international opinion of my country, please do not at the SA government as an example of all it's people. Please do not think that I am saying that Griffen is right. I live in an area where dogs getting out of their yards happens only occasionally. And the people with expensive well bred dogs keep them in the yard in order for them to serve the purpose for which they were bought and trained.

#86 · (Edited)
Come now Katey, why are u defending urself to this nonsense. I am proudly South African, yes alot bad here but also alot to be proud of.SAME as in the States.They have there problems just like we do. They have some shady history just like we do. I wont take americans bashing my country
You shouldnt either!

Ok maybe NZ ppl I wont have much to say back :) or Aussies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.