Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had received some nice comments on Gracie's crop in another thread, and I just felt the need to share the story behind it.

Gracie's crop is a home job. It was done by her previous owner before she and her brother were taken away by animal control. She was around 10 weeks old at the time. The thought of what she went through makes me sick, especially after doing research and reading about how it's done.

While a bit uneven, her ears weren't butchered; I've seen worse. To me it's obvious the scum bag had some experience. The word mutilation was used in a different thread and I find that an accurate use of the word in this case regardless of how they turned out.

Thankfully she isn't sensitive to having her ears touched, and I find myself messaging her "wittle nubby ears" quite often which she seems to like.

While I hate how it was done, I do think her crop suits her. She is very statuesque looking, always sitting up tall and proud. I swear she has the best posture ever! LOL

I just want to add that while I like a good set natural of ears on a pit bull, I am totally pro-crop if that's what a dog's owner chooses to do. And if done humanely by a vet using pain meds, I don't see the harm. I really love the look of a good crop.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
That is the best home job I've ever seen!! hate how it was done..and you're right.. I hate that the guy obviously had experience. :(

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
she looks very nice

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
It's sad they were a home job but at least they look great! Siren's looks like a home job because they are so short. I was to blame, when we were cropping them (the vet and I) I was like..... go shorter. When she woke up the skin shrank down and pulled the cartilage down and voila... cane corso ears! I cried for a week then I got use to them. Now I do not mind them but I will always be on the longer side from now on.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
those dont look bad lisa, we just got crush's ears done and they are short { we had to go short he had something goin on with a ear } Im dreading what they will look like , still bandaged and havent seen yet :S

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Makes my heartache thinking that she was probably in so much pain as that jerk cut her ears :( Poor thing. Home jobs are the only crops I am against since it is done without anesthesia and pain meds. Gracie is a beauty and I am glad she found you :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
How could anyone be so heartless?
Human animals can be the worst kind.........Look at what mothers and fathers do to there own children. The innocent and the defenseless suffer the most in the hands of malicious human beings. I won't get into that here on the open forums but I am sure you see the news and know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Obviously I can't condone the method but you can't argue with the results! It's a terrible thing she had to endure and like you say, it clearly wasn't his first time doing it. Makes you sad to think about all the others he had to practice on to be able to get it so neat.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
I can see the unevenness of her ears, but they do look great. I too agree it's sad to know how many others must have endured the same pain during his "practicing" in order for him to gain the experience and steady hands required to get them so neat. She's beautiful, none the less, and I'm glad she's not head shy about having her ears touched. She probably enjoys the massage you give her because it feels good, and because it helps that much more to enforce the bond the two of you have. Every touch, every smile, every thing you do that shows her any ounce of love and attention is enjoyable, I'm sure. She's a stunning dog, and lucky to have a wonderful owner like you.

Reactions: Luvum

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I would do my own crops if I had the equipment to properly put them under. I could do a better job and I have lot of puppies to practice on, lol. I have been there when we have cropped most of my dogs and I wish we had the set up to do them. We have a real bad problem here of people trying to do home crop jobs and get several rescues a year from home jobs. They always get great homes but sad to see people are so vicious to try and do it them selves.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can see the unevenness of her ears, but they do look great. I too agree it's sad to know how many others must have endured the same pain during his "practicing" in order for him to gain the experience and steady hands required to get them so neat. She's beautiful, none the less, and I'm glad she's not head shy about having her ears touched. She probably enjoys the massage you give her because it feels good, and because it helps that much more to enforce the bond the two of you have. Every touch, every smile, every thing you do that shows her any ounce of love and attention is enjoyable, I'm sure. She's a stunning dog, and lucky to have a wonderful owner like you.
Yes, I'm really thankful she's OK with me touching her ears. I don't know that I'd be if I had my ears chopped off.
Also, thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it. :)

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
You're quite welcome. Yeah, don't know that I'd be so willing to let someone touch me after having been butchered either.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Unfortunatly I found out after we had taken Hope from the guy that was going to kill her, that her ears were done with a razor blade,,,makes me sick that they would do this! Not to mention what my little Hope went through before me and my dad took her!! It just turns my stomach what people do to animals.
I hope they know their is a level in Hell set aside just for them!!!:clap:
Bye for now
Angie

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
coalchuck, I'm sorry for what Hope went through. And I fear that home jobs are more common than people realize. If I'm a low life, why would I pay $500 for a crop when I can do it myself for next to nothing? I mean, it can't be that hard right? And Pit Bulls don't feel pain anyway so what's the problem? (please note the sarcasm)

But I wonder, it is only Pits? I don't think I've ever heard of a Doberman w/ hacked ears.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts