Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which variety/brand do you prefer feeding your dog & why?

Edit:
I feed TOTW kibble - I thought it'd be neat for everyone to state what they feed & the benefits they see. I figure this would benefit to newbs & get a better idea of the different feeding varities available or even for regular members to get new ideas ;)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
kibble, just more convenient then raw, personally I dont like canned food and plus they are doing great on the kibble coats look great and they are healthy ..thats why I feed what I do. I think the quality of kibble is a big factor though if I had to switch off this i would probably only consider Raw.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Taste of the Wild (and I sometimes switch it up with another grain-free food) and RAW - I do 2/3 Raw and 1/3 kibble!! They love it!

Its good to switch up the kibble because if fed the same exact food for years dogs can develop an allergy to it. :)

-Pit lover!!

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taste of the Wild (and I sometimes switch it up with another grain-free food) and RAW - I do 2/3 Raw and 1/3 kibble!! They love it!

Its good to switch up the kibble because if fed the same exact food for years dogs can develop an allergy to it. :)

-Pit lover!!
Do they ever have digestive issues from switching up? Or is that only if you switch kibble back & forth? The raw/kibble thing makes sense - so they're getting all the nutrients they need.

Thanks for posting feedback :)

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Do they ever have digestive issues from switching up? Or is that only if you switch kibble back & forth? The raw/kibble thing makes sense - so they're getting all the nutrients they need.

Thanks for posting feedback :)
It's ok to switch them from time to time as long as you transition properly. It can be good to switch it up because by feeding only one dog food you could be depriving your dog from some unknown nutrient. Check out that thread in the RAW section called From Wolf to Woof

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's ok to switch them from time to time as long as you transition properly. It can be good to switch it up because by feeding only one dog food you could be depriving your dog from some unknown nutrient. Check out that thread in the RAW section called From Wolf to Woof
Thanks L :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I am feeding blue buffalo wilderness and have seen great results with it. I switched to TOTW for a bit and it made her poop to much and her coat didn't seem as nice. I would prefer to go all raw but I will be starting Bella on the premade natures variety raw in the next couple weeks. She will be getting one kibble meal in the morning and a raw meal at night.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I am feeding blue buffalo wilderness and have seen great results with it. I switched to TOTW for a bit and it made her poop to much and her coat didn't seem as nice. I would prefer to go all raw but I will be starting Bella on the premade natures variety raw in the next couple weeks. She will be getting one kibble meal in the morning and a raw meal at night.
What is the difference between blue buffalo & blue buffalo wilderness?

I use to feed blue buffalo until the had the recall because the over added vitamin D & dogs were getting sick. Now I feed TOTW - I haven't noticed my dogs poop schedule change, it's about the same - maybe at first for a week or two since they were switching to a new food. It seems to work just as well for them & Lex's coat actually has gotten softer :)... If anything though I think pooping more would be a good thing, it means they're regular ;)

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
What is the difference between blue buffalo & blue buffalo wilderness?

I use to feed blue buffalo until the had the recall because the over added vitamin D & dogs were getting sick. Now I feed TOTW - I haven't noticed my dogs poop schedule change, it's about the same - maybe at first for a week or two since they were switching to a new food. It seems to work just as well for them & Lex's coat actually has gotten softer :)... If anything though I think pooping more would be a good thing, it means they're regular ;)
Blue Buffalo Blue Basics is a plant-based kibble using only a modest amount of turkey or salmon as its main sources of animal protein… thus earning the brand three stars out of five.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dog Food is a grain-free kibble using an abundance of poultry or salmon as its main sources of animal protein… thus earning the brand five stars.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I feed TOTW kibble as well.

Molly and Annie get skin irritations when they eat kibble that contains grains & corn.

TOTW is has been great thus far.

Not to mention beautiful, shiny coats!

Reactions: Lex's Guardian

·
Registered
207 Posts
Has anybody heard of Chicken Soup for the Puppy Soul.. or whatever its called? Im feeding Innova Puppy (which he is doing great on, but $50+ on a 28lb bag is hurting the wallet at the moment)., but saw chicken soup bla bla bla, and the guy at the store said it was a really good food, no by-products, which is good, holistic, etc???? Thoughts?

P.S I tried TOTW, for those who are going to shove it down my throat, LOL (JK) but my boy doesnt eat it :-(

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Chicken Soup: 4 out of 5 Stars

Has anybody heard of Chicken Soup for the Puppy Soul.. or whatever its called? Im feeding Innova Puppy (which he is doing great on, but $50+ on a 28lb bag is hurting the wallet at the moment)., but saw chicken soup bla bla bla, and the guy at the store said it was a really good food, no by-products, which is good, holistic, etc???? Thoughts?

P.S I tried TOTW, for those who are going to shove it down my throat, LOL (JK) but my boy doesnt eat it :-(
I'll post the full review in the dog food rating and comparison chart but here is the bottom line:
**** out of *****
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul
The Bottom Line​

Judging by its ingredients alone, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul appears to be an above-average dry dog food.
But ingredient quality by itself cannot tell the whole story. We still need to estimate the product's meat content before determining a final rating.
The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 27%, a fat level of 16% and estimated carbohydrates of about 50%.
With its apparently lower protein and fat (a.k.a. meat) content, we have downgraded the Adult Light product to a lower category.
Omitting the lower rated Lite recipe, the remaining products feature an average protein content of 28% and a mean fat level of 15%.
Together, these figures suggest a carbohydrate content of 49% for the overall product line.
Average protein. Average fat. And average carbohydrates… when compared to a typical dry dog food.
With no sign of any plant-based protein boosters, this looks like the profile of a kibble containing an average amount of meat.
Bottom line?
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul is a grain-based kibble using a moderate amount of various poultry meals as its main sources of animal protein… thus earning the brand four stars.
Highly recommended.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I fed chicken soup for awhile when Helena was a puppy. I have tried a variety of the high end foods, as well as a few grocery store brands. She is now back on TOTW pacific stream. And she likes it, and it makes her coat so nice and shiny, and keeps her at the right weight. That is the biggest thing I notice about grocery store brands vs premium foods. The coat and their weight. I was using Pedigree for quite a few months and she got majorly fat off of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts