Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vet said that canned food wasnt as good for dogs teeth as dry. My question is,if you give them bones to clean their teeth is canned okay ? :confused:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Im doing a semi raw diet, and chicken quarters help keep their teeth clean. I can see how eating canned food might affect the teeth, since it can get stuck up in the dogs gums for a while.

You can get some chewy dog bones, i know they sell some beefy treat toys and it helps clean their teeth. I use chicken quarters, but i know they sell these chewy hides, and they work pretty good on my dogs.

im no vet so you can disregard my input.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I'm lazy and find it easier to find a food all my dogs do well on, so I would probably switch them both to the TOTW, but that's just me, lol.

I only use canned food as a treat or when I mix it with some kibble to stuff Kongs. I've seen too many dogs (with nasty teeth) who won't eat anything unless it is canned or has canned mixed in. Canned food is also very expensive for what you get (chicken quarters as mentioned above are way cheaper!) Why are you wanting to feed canned?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm lazy and find it easier to find a food all my dogs do well on, so I would probably switch them both to the TOTW, but that's just me, lol.

I only use canned food as a treat or when I mix it with some kibble to stuff Kongs. I've seen too many dogs (with nasty teeth) who won't eat anything unless it is canned or has canned mixed in. Canned food is also very expensive for what you get (chicken quarters as mentioned above are way cheaper!) Why are you wanting to feed canned?
Because where I live a 15lb bag of BlueBuffalo or TOTW is around $50 . And I go through 10lb's a week. I just cant afford that. And my pitbull is fine on DN so I thought just buy a small bag a week or a couple cans a week for the shihtzu and keep bailey on diamondnaturals. But I guess it would be cheaper to just switch them both ? I have no idea what to do. Maybe im feeding too much ? They go through food so fast that buying the best is just not possible. :rain:

·
Registered
816 Posts
order from petflow .... u can buy synergy (natural balance) 28 lbs bag for 44bux same as blue buffalo at petco with pals card more or less.... btw petflow free shipping over 50 bux so i order 2 28lbs bags

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
its not only worse for the teeth but nutritionally I havent seen any canned foods that stack up, alot of them are just crap I wouldnt ever feed to my dog. Id rather feed ground hamburger to my dogs then canned food.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Nothing wrong with a good quality canned food and feeding it all the time. It's actually more biologically appropriate and more natural than just a bag of dried kibble with very little moisture content. A dog in the wild would eat a diet that was 70% moisture not dried kibble that only contains 10%. I used to feed kibble and canned with no issues plus the argument that crunchy kibble keeps teeth clean is a myth. Kibble fed dogs still get crappy tartar build up and gum disease thats why brushing there teeth is important ;) unless your dog is eating a raw diet with bones only then will you see the difference in teeth. Otherwise whether you feed kibble, canned, or both start brushing the teeth regularly ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Canned food is more expensive when you consider a can per dog per day at almost $2/ can. That's $120/ month to feed your two dogs. Do some web shopping. I found Ecko's TOTW on Mr. Chewy for about $46/ 30 lbs. And they ship free over a certain amount.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Canned food is fine, some say that a healthy canned food is better than feeding dry food since a good quality canned food is usually higher in protein. Feeding them a good quality canned food is not bad for their teeth.

Raw meaty bones are the best teeth cleaner. Raw chicken bones (drumsticks, wings, leg quarters, necks, breasts, thighs, etc) are cheap. I can get a pack of 12 chicken drumsticks for around a dollar or two. Chicken is cheap, you can get a lot of chicken for a good price.

Pork feet are a great teeth cleaner. Pork feet are tough and are great chews for dogs (probably one of the best teeth cleaners). You can find pork feet at your grocery store. I got a pack of 6 pork feet for around $2.00.

Chicken feet are another great teeth cleaner. You can find chicken feet at an Asian market. Dogs LOVE them. They are cheap too. They usually come in a good sized container.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My reading indicates that canned food is not only higher in protein, but has a higher quality protein with less waste product that combined with the higher moisture content causes much less stress on a dog's kidneys.

I may try mine out on canned, I tried BB, TOTW, and Eukanuba, and all gave her the runs. She only seems to love kibble that dogfoodadvisor.com rates as low quality, so I'm trying to find something high quality that she also loves.

I'd try raw, but she stays with my sister when I'm at sea so I want to keep it simple and easy.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I may try mine out on canned, I tried BB, TOTW, and Eukanuba, and all gave her the runs. She only seems to love kibble that dogfoodadvisor.com rates as low quality, so I'm trying to find something high quality that she also loves.

I'd try raw, but she stays with my sister when I'm at sea so I want to keep it simple and easy.
cause it's like having McDonald's or ice cream everyday. Who would not love low quality kibbles it's junk food for pups!! Most people haves junk food weakness lol

That's why I am holding off on raw. Other people who have to help me out when I get stuck at work or go on vaca without my boy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts