Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a free small carpetmill in my area. Super stoked about this find. I've watched every youtube video and read every info filled article and post I could find so Gimlet will be happy to work on this thing. It's at a low angle right now and seems kind of stiff, but it has the ability to be adjusted a bit. Is there something I can put on the board under the carpet to make it slide better? The carpet also moves side to side more than I would like. Is this normal? We're doing super short sessions multiple times a day for the time being. This is only day one, so I'll let Gim set the pace on this. He'll have a harness on for being attached to the chain. His lures have always changed based on his mood, I guess, he won't always work for food or treats, sometimes it's toys or just babytalk. Is there any advice on what I should do to mame sure his experience is good and he's happy to use the mill?
He also isn't a fan of really any harness. He has this H back harness and the joyride harness(kinda like a service dog vest with a handle on the back) and an X back sled harness. The X back harness isn't fitting around his neck very well anymore. He's beefed up a bit since we adopted him.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have started getting my pup use to bring in the mill. I turn the rollers and let him do some of the work. I use yogurt as a reward. so he does with knowing there is something in it for him. Plus my wife gets to use baby talk again

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have started getting my pup use to bring in the mill. I turn the rollers and let him do some of the work. I use yogurt as a reward. so he does with knowing there is something in it for him. Plus my wife gets to use baby talk again
Gim gets apples or beef liver tidbits. He will also work for his jolly ball. He's kinda lazy, so getting him to go and keep going is a bit of a challenge. Hopefully he catches on, but either way he's moving and seems to enjoy it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Awesome! We love our slat mill. Can't say that my carpet moves a ton from side to side, but I also don't have any experience with other mills. That is exciting that you found a free one, though! I thought I got a deal on mine, but you win. Haha. Here are my boys on the mill. They enjoy it, though the old spaniel has become pretty slow.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! We love our slat mill. Can't say that my carpet moves a ton from side to side, but I also don't have any experience with other mills. That is exciting that you found a free one, though! I thought I got a deal on mine, but you win. Haha. Here are my boys on the mill. They enjoy it, though the old spaniel has become pretty slow.
I think I'm going to put some balsa wood in the sides so the carpet can't slide into the crevices. Still experimenting on ideas for it. I love happy dogs doing jobs. I might try losening the carpet a bit so it runs a little more smooth. We'll tweek it a bit as time goes on I'm sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts