Go Pitbull Forums banner

CAUTION: WINTER CHILL

3K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  jmejiaa 
#1 · (Edited)
I just thought that I'd throw my 2 cents in there now that the weather has officially gotten COLD!! I implore that all you pit bull lovers take the proper precautions during the winter months. December has just begun and I've already seen my share of pups out in the cold, too cold, weather with wind chills at 0 or single digits. I, personally, can't come to terms with the idea of leaving a loved? pet out in these kind of conditions and, by the looks on their faces, I don't think they can either:( This rant isn't meant to offend anyone who does provide the proper warmth and facilities needed during the wintertime, but I still believe that to fully enjoy your pup means to be with him/her as much as possible, IMO. When I see people who feel that it is too cold to even accompany their pup outside for their potty or find it to be a grueling battle to even go outside to start the car up in the morning, I wonder if they realize what it would be like to spend all day and night out in the frigid temps? Anyway, just keep an eye on your pups and don't be afraid to spread the news:) Every year I end up calling the local news stations and beg them to mention during their telecast a reminder to care for their pets when the weather gets too severe for man and beast. They usually oblige my request with no problem and it makes me feel a little better. Thanks for your indulgence, and STAY WARM!!!!:)

#5 ·
My two live in the warmth of my home but Beastley has the need or obsession to feel that we need to leave the door open constantly so he can lay in the doorway and watch for the critters outside to chase lol. I guess he is not concerned about my heating expense. When we finally refuse to indulge him he yowls like we are killing him. While FA chooses to lay on my fluffy bed snuggled next to me.

#9 ·
All 6 of ours are fast asleep, warm cozy behind me and Lola is up under moms covers :) TY for the reminder tho :)

#12 ·
shoot with the temp drop last couple of days the HUSKY is coming inside let alone the pits!!! agreed STAY WARM YA'LL :)

#14 ·
great post :) reps coming ur way I wish ppl would understand that it get's cold for them too and just because they're "dog's" doesn't mean they like the cold lol Cuz I know my dogs don't ha ha They're all indoor pets. But my crazy Ashes is a nut lol she likes to go out when it's raining and lay on the wet grass! and roll around lol SMH

#15 ·
Pretty stupid question but since Bernie is a freaking big baby I wanna hear what you guys think. I can still takeh im out for a couple of mile walks and runs in the cold weather? I am not fan of dog clothing for big dogs neither can I find something that fits cheap.

#17 ·
of course you can go to your local wallie world (walmart) get him a kids hoodie, my lucy at 83lb wears a size 5 ;)

p.s that is size 5 boys not 5T lol

#18 ·
^ that's a really good suggestion. :)

Also, I take Kane out on a couple mile walk every morning here in the LP of Michigan where the "high" today is 29. For me, it depends on whether the wind is blowing hard. If it isn't, I don't even bother putting a coat on Kane because you warm yourself up pretty fast even if you're just walking. Just a few bursts of jogging or all-out running and you won't even feel the cold after a bit. :)

#20 · (Edited)
lol you'll learn soon enough daddy to be ;)

5T is 5 toddler (as in a 5 year old child) while boy is just a size for kids, i have gotten some nice long john shirts and hoodie around 5 bucks, you want to make surer there loose enough not to cause issues with there underarms but not so loose the bottom drags the ground although that is easily resolved with some snip and sewing or tying a knot at the waist

#22 ·
:rofl: meanie, but i hate the summer so i'm not complaining woot woot cold LOVE IT!!!! although cheza ran out for potty time then hightailed it back in like WTH lol i had to lock her out untill she went potty :hammer:

#23 ·
I don't mind the cold either, it doesnt snow where i live dammit, but travel about 4 hours to the mountain and theres snow, i just love summer for the Xmas bbq's WOOO but not the hayfever :(

#26 ·
shoot i have to go 8hr for drizzels 12 or more if i really wanna see some snow :(

#29 ·
both of my 6mo old pups are outside in double insulated
dog houses with fresh straw and pine shaving as a base.
they seem to love the snow and do zoomies with their food
bowls on their heads loving life. (slightly embellished on the zoomie
story) but bottom line is, the dogs are crispy warm when coming out
of said houses when i go to socialize with them. this ain't my first rodeo
and as long as you have adequate shelter these dogs will thrive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.