Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cesar Millan: Famous Dog Trainer, but Not All Experts Follow His Lead

25 January 2007

Download Audio - MP3
Listen in RealAudio

HOST:
Welcome to AMERICAN MOSAIC in VOA Special English.

I'm Doug Johnson. On our show this week:

report about a world famous expert on dogs.

The Dog Whisperer

HOST:
Americans own about seventy-three million dogs. Many people have problems training their animals. Some are turning to dog expert Cesar Millan. Faith Lapidus has more.

FAITH LAPIDUS:

Cesar Millan's television show is called "Dog Whisperer." It is broadcast in several countries, including the United States, Japan and Thailand. Millan has also written a book about his life and ideas about dog training. It is called "Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems."

The TV show and book try to improve the relationships between people and their dogs. Millan also works with difficult dogs at his Dog Psychology Center in Los Angeles, California.

Cesar Millan says dogs are happy and calm when they know and trust their leader. He says dog owners must be the leader or the dog will become confused and act in anti-social ways. The animal might become uncontrollable. It may bark all the time or even bite someone.

Cesar Millan says the best way to train a dog is to prevent this behavior in the first place. He says the owner must be a good leader and provide a lot of exercise to keep the dog happy.

Pet owners call on him when they have a problem. These situations appear on his television show, "Dog Whisperer." Recently, he visited a home where the dog barked loudly when people used some cooking equipment. The dog was afraid of the noise, and its loud barking was interfering with the lives of its owners.

Cesar Millan placed the dog in a small space. Then he operated the equipment very close to the animal until the dog stopped barking. The owners said the dog stopped being afraid of the noise after that.

However, not all dog experts agree with all of Millan's methods. They say it is true that dogs need good leadership and a lot of exercise. But they say it can be cruel and dangerous to force a dog to face its fears as in the example we described. They say the animal might attack. Some dog experts are concerned about people trying the methods they see on television without getting good advice about their own dog.

Cesar Millan has said that his methods are not the only ways to train dogs successfully. He also has said that people should seek professional help when trying to change their pet's behavior. And his television show repeatedly tells people not to try the methods without professional help.

http://www.voanews.com/specialenglish/2007-01-25-voa1.cfm

·
Registered
113 Posts
Most people are as good at raising their dogs, as they are their children.

Though obviously not all methods work with all dogs, I just like how he tries to teach people to think from the dogs perspective, which I think is the most important.

Most people think from their perspective when they raise the dog, and dont understand when it doesnt respond.

·
Windbag Extrodinaire.
3,303 Posts
I may be going out on a limb here but I'd say if your worried about your dog attacking you then you've got bigger problems then ceasar can help with and yes you should contact some professional help...

I also agree with Derek when he says I just like how he teaches people to look at things from the dogs perspective...

When I was potty training Rocky and teaching him that he had to go outside he started to go at the bottom of the steps and right away my girlfreind was telling him he was naughty for going there. I had to get it trough to her that he does not rationalise.. He looks at it like "You are YELLING at me for going in the house and now you are YELLING at me for going outside, what am I supposed to do." Keep in mind I just got him to go out side and she is still yelling at him and not showing him to go to the back yard...One step at a time...

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
As with all things pick your battles wisely. This is good he is going outside and as he gets older he will beable to go further away from the house to do his bussiness. :pup:

Chalice is affraid of really high pitched loud noises. I work with her in baby steps. She is a good girl as long as she doesn't pull at the chain to get away. The other day she attacked the car vaccum she bite at it it sucked at her tongue she had met her match she laid down and wouldn't look at it again.

My old yellow lab was scared of the vacuum cleaner too it took 5yrs before she quit running away from it. She was tortured by her previous owners with the vaccum cleaner for 4yrs but she now lets me vaccum her off. Good girl Maggie B.:thumbsup:

·
Windbag Extrodinaire.
3,303 Posts
HAHA,Chalice VS Vacuum...

Tonight,Rocky VS Lemon...:rofl:

·
Windbag Extrodinaire.
3,303 Posts
HAHA, I have a video clip of Rocky battling with one but I can't get it to upload...He was shaking it sooooooo fast the camera couldn't keep up to speed, It was a blur...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts