Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seen a discussion on another site about chain and leather leashes, they seem to think that a leather leash is stonger then a chain?

i find this hard to belive, does anyone have any experince on what they think or know its the stongest leash out there, i know the clasp plays a big part but im more looking towards material at this point in time

·
The Blue Razor
968 Posts
I never had any problem with leather or chain. But currently i use a 5/8 nylon derby rope that i made into a leash and works great. Its alot easier on your hands and everything. I made it for only a few bucks and works awsome. Let me know if you want more info on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i might get a climbing rope, but do they come with thoes carabiee things attacheed, or do yo u need to put your own clasp on?

and do horse lead have attached clasps. if not i think a home job would be the weakest link

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
A good leather leash is easy to hold on to and will not break if it is maintained. Chain or nylon can give you burns or cut on your hands. If you are just walking to do around a leather leash is fine. If you are putting the dog out on a tie out, you need a good strong chain or cable. As a trainer I only allow leather leashed in my classes for safety purposes.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I really don't care for chain leashes. I like my nylon or leather leashs the best. For training the on leash long sits and downs I have used the horse leads as they are a bit longer.

3,968 Posts
for walking i use a nylon leash or whatever that fabric is onyx would chew a leather leash right from the getgo chain leashes for walking really have no purpose exept for looks i don't use a chain leash for walking because if onyx got tangled up with something or with another dog a chain leash would hurt more then a regular leash...I am always so cautiouse about stuff like that he doesnt even wear a collar in the house cuz there is the possability it could get hung up on something like a door know and choke him. ne way for outside i trust a chain leash not so big it looks ridiculus and sinister and not so thin it would beable to snap if he saw a squrriel.

also i will add my input on retractable leashes BAD BAD BAD! first off they break often i remember my aunt spent 40 something on a retractable she was watching a friends husky well on a walk the dog started to run so she tried to stop the line from going out anyfiurther when she pressed the button to stop it somehow it broke and the line just kept on going and when it hit te last inch the power of the dog and the resistance from my aunt and the leash made my aunt go flyig face first into the road and broke her nose. about a month ago i was walking onyx about to turn a corner impossible to see around because of bushes the next thing i knew a huge lab jumps around the corner and tried to attack onyx i got in the way and kicked the dog in the neck then got it in a headlock sort of thing so i could hold it from gettinf onyx and man was it trying to get at him! luckily it only lasted a few seconds before the owner caught up why did this happen the owner was walking her dog on a retractable leash and the dog was a good few feet infront of her keep in mind this was by a narrow road on a narrow side walk not manny cars go by i think it because the bushes are a big problem but the ones that do go by rush by because they know chances are no one else will be driving. i have also seen this woman a number of times walking her lab id say always a good 5 to 7 feet infront of her zigzagging every which way. bu yeah if you have a retractable leash i advise you to throw it away. if an old timer husky can do that with a retractable imagine what this breed would beable to do even if the damn faulty things were locked in the first place!

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
i dont really like the feel of nylon, because it's not as soft on your hands as leather is. I find leather to be very durable and flexible. Chains are fine, but theyre a lot heavier, clank on things and are very gaudy. If you were to walk your dog with a chain leash, don't you think you would get more of a negative vibe around other people? JMO. I think that it's important to choose what suits you and your dogs the best. GOOD POST!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
i prefer nylon leashes easier on the hands can get them wet and survive alot more then leather, my dog is strong enough she can losen the chain ones she has broken a few of them in excitment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts