Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i got a question for ya. Not tryin to make anyone here mad or accuse anyone of anything, just trying to get the low down on some info. I was watchin this show on Animal Plan, and some jerk was breeding pitbulls for fighting, and he had them all in his yard chained, each with their own little dog house, etc...and when they went to court, basically the judge convicted the guy b/c of the fact that he was using these massive chains, padlocked to his dog's necks, and attached to the ground infront of their doghouses. The judge said it was overdoing it. So my Q is, A lot of you guys on here use chains, as you can see on your pics, and I am sure your not dog fighting....why is a chain = dogfighting? Seemed like they coulda got better evidence than that for the court case.

I mean, I know these dogs are powerful, and i understand they need to be secured, but is a huge chain nessessary? Is it just for looks? Seems like I would want to keep them secure, but not want to make it look like this, since aparently judges find chains to be signs of dogfighting...who knows.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I don't understand, the only evidence they had were the big chains with padlocks and they convicted him with dogfighting? I mean, there surely had to be other evidence, like scarring on the dogs, dog fighting paraphernalia, etc... Also, they might have kept it vague like that, so that when people watch the show, they can call their animal control and advise them of people that have their dogs like that, to help tip them off on people that have their dogs chained, hoping to get a good bust. ya know? job security.

·
Windbag Extrodinaire.
3,303 Posts
Well, A decent size chain is necessary but anchor chains off cargo ships is just ridiculous.. There had to be more evidence to bring him up on dog fighting charges. However, I can see where animal cruelty could become an issue if the chains are huge and there is no collar being used..

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
there's misunderstanding on both sides and the dog fighting thing is usually a big witch hunt that just destroys the lifes of the dogs and people involved.knowadays you own a pit,your fighting dogs,damn "ar" freaks,grrrrr!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand, the only evidence they had were the big chains with padlocks and they convicted him with dogfighting? I mean, there surely had to be other evidence, like scarring on the dogs, dog fighting paraphernalia, etc... Also, they might have kept it vague like that, so that when people watch the show, they can call their animal control and advise them of people that have their dogs like that, to help tip them off on people that have their dogs chained, hoping to get a good bust. ya know? job security.
yeah they had other evidence, but i think the judge noticed mostly the chains, it was like a SUPER thick chain for a 40 pound pitbull only 11 months old, and it was padlocked to her neck, and to the ground on a spike, covered in concrete.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
That sounds like over doing it IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
If you are caught dogfighting, EVERYTHING else becomes dog fighting "paraphanelia" ie.break stick, mills, chains, medications, scales ect.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Some chain info for you'll...

A 5\16" chain is too large for any dog and causes unnecessary strain. If you have a problem with your dogs breaking their chain, increase the grade of the chain, not the size of it.

A grade 30, 5\16" chain has a working load limit of 1,900lbs and weighs 0.924lbs per foot. A ten foot chain would weigh 9.24lbs.

A grade 43, 1\4" chain has a working load limit of 2,600lbs and weighs 0.65lbs per foot. A ten foot chain would weigh 6.5lbs.

A grade 70, 1\4" chain has a working load limit of 3,150lbs and weighs 0.67lbs per foot. A ten foot chain would weigh 6.7lbs.

A grade 80, 9\32" chain has a working load limit of 3,500lbs and weighs 0.72lbs per foot. A ten foot chain would weigh 7.2lbs.

A grade 100, 9\32" chain has a working load limit of 4,300lbs and weighs 0.72lbs per foot. A ten foot chain would weigh 7.2lbs.

The higher the grade, the stronger and more durable the material is. If you buy the chain at a hardware store, it will be marked by grade.

A grade 30 chain is silver in color, grade 43 is a little darker and looks to sparkle, grade 70 is originally a gold color, but after wear, it turns the same color as grade 43, both grade 80 and grade 100 chains are black in color.

Depending on the manufacturer, some may be stamped with 3, 30 or 300 for grade 30, 4, 43 or 430 for grade 43, 7, 70 or 700 for grade 70, 8, 80 or 800 for grade 80, 10, 100 or 1000 for grade 100; though many manufacturers do not.

Grade 30 (Proof Coil Chain): General purpose, low carbon steel chain. Used in a wide range of applications. Not to be used in overhead lifting.

Grade 43 (High Test Chain): A high carbon steel chain widely used in industry, construction, agricultural and lumbering operations. Not to be used in overhead lifting.

Grade 70 (Transport Chain): A high quality, high strength carbon steel chain used for load securement. Not to be used in overhead lifting.

Grade 80 (Alloy Chain): Premium quality, high strength alloy chain, heat treated, used in a variety of sling and tie down applications. For overhead lifting applications, only Alloy Chain should be used.

Grade 100 (Alloy Chain): Premium quality, highest strength alloy chain, heat treated, used in a variety of sling and tie down applications. For overhead lifting applications, only Alloy Chain should be used.

Hope this helps ;)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
i second that...good one Nesone..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
613 Posts
i saw that show!!! the dogs had scars and were very under weight. i think that the owner had 10 or so dogs. the chains were very thick. i think you could pulled a semi with those chains!!! they were anchored in with a 3 foot steak and were buried a foot under ground. the pad locks were like 3 inch square. they did not find any other dog fighting thing.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
A chain that big is over doing it. Some people use them for security and some people just to show off how bad their dog looks.
One thing I cannot stand to see is some teenager being dragged down the road by their pit with a big logging chain on it's neck. Around here it is a symbol of power, b/c there are so many gang here. Most all of them own pit bulls..and it is a crying shame.
In SC, our lil rinky dink county is top of the charts for gang's and gang related violence.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Marty that was a very interesting post! We are not allowed to tie dogs out here in Texas. I am not one for the practice, but before the law was put in place i had a friend that chained his dogs out in the back, where he had awsome houses and shelter for the dogs. I always wondered if he faught the dogs, because of the amount of dogs he had and they were all pits. I finally asked and he said he just loved the breed and he sometimes took them hog hunting, but they were basically pets. I felt really bad for judging him falsely and try to no longer jump to conclusions...

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Marty that was a very interesting post! We are not allowed to tie dogs out here in Texas. I am not one for the practice, but before the law was put in place i had a friend that chained his dogs out in the back, where he had awsome houses and shelter for the dogs. I always wondered if he faught the dogs, because of the amount of dogs he had and they were all pits. I finally asked and he said he just loved the breed and he sometimes took them hog hunting, but they were basically pets. I felt really bad for judging him falsely and try to no longer jump to conclusions...
Bully Mama, thank you for your comment and not jumping to conclusions any longer... I own 10 dogs right now (no hog hunting here only conformation shows but my dogs are dog aggressive so they have to be separated at all times) I've had dogs to dig under, climb over and go straight through chain link fences... Never got in any trouble knock on wood, I don't trust fences any longer for this reason so I try my best to fight against chaining laws in all counties, even if they had to be put in kennels I would still have to use a chain to insure they would not escape there runs... here's a study I use to fight these laws maybe you've read it maybe not...

http://www.nopitbullbans.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/cornell_study_on_te_1cf54f6.pdf

Chains don't neglect dogs humans do and I would never neglect any of my babys :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts