Go Pitbull Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i got champ for a protection dog hes full blooded APBT hes 5 months old and weights 40 pounds his parents look nice with big heads and weight about 70 pounds. my question is how big IN INCHES do you think his head will be when hes full grown another dog breeder said maybe 24 inches what do you guys think and in the pic his right ear was laying on his head but is fixed now all help is wanted

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
this isn't quite the breed for a protection dog. besides that- there is no wat to "guestimate" how big his head is gonna be unless he comesfrom dogs producind consistency and even then there may be differences. he'll be mostly done growin by age 2 and then you'll know... as for the adult weight- the standard is usually take the weight at 4 months and double it. my boy was about 35 so his supposed adult weight will be 70 and so on... that help any? :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol come on guys ill im wanting is some guestimates like did your dog look like him when he was 5 months old and how big did he get? and is champ big for 5 months old?

·
Silver VIP Member
596 Posts
*groans* why does everyone get a Pit bull for "protection" when they make HORRIBLE guard dogs? All they are going to do is lick the intruder when they walk in, then grab the remote to the TV as the Intruder walks out with it to remind them that they left it behind? It's another common myth that ruins the breed.

As for head size, who knows. It's impossible to tell. Looks like he's going to be just another normal pit bull. Any breeder that breeds for a "huge head" isn't a breeder I'd ever give money too so it sounds like you got the dog from a sub-par breeder. Just because the parents had one doesn't mean your boy will have one. He honestly just looks like a normal Pit Bull to me.

Cute guy. Enjoy him and if you want protection, buy an alarm system and/or a gun. They will keep you safer then your dog.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
lol come on guys ill im wanting is some guestimates like did your dog look like him when he was 5 months old and how big did he get? and is champ big for 5 months old?
1) APBT is a terrible choice for protection or guarding, if you read the UKC or ABDA standard you will find that any kind of human agressions is a flaw and the dog must be put down. if you are looking to purposely make this dog human agressive, you need re-think why you want to own a dog in general.

2) Asking about head size shows your lack of knowledge of the breed. my suggestion is that you start reading some material before your dog and you make 5'o clock news.

3) APBT's aren't supossed to be huge dogs, they are medium size dogs if you wanted a huge headed muscled dog to intimidate people once again sir you got the dog for the wrong reasons. Although I doubt with your lack of knowledge that you could handle a guarding breed.

4) Do the dog a favor and the pitbull comunity a favor, if you have negative malicious intentions for this dog please rehome the dog, there are millions of them being put down. this breed is persecuted all over the globe because of owners that think like you. This breed was never meant to protect or attack people. This breed was not mean to look vicious or incredible huge, this breed was created to love people and please its family. Also to combat in the pit but since that is no longer legal you only have one real reason.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1) APBT is a terrible choice for protection or guarding, if you read the UKC or ABDA standard you will find that any kind of human agressions is a flaw and the dog must be put down. if you are looking to purposely make this dog human agressive, you need re-think why you want to own a dog in general.

2) Asking about head size shows your lack of knowledge of the breed. my suggestion is that you start reading some material before your dog and you make 5'o clock news.

3) APBT's aren't supossed to be huge dogs, they are medium size dogs if you wanted a huge headed muscled dog to intimidate people once again sir you got the dog for the wrong reasons. Although I doubt with your lack of knowledge that you could handle a guarding breed.

4) Do the dog a favor and the pitbull comunity a favor, if you have negative malicious intentions for this dog please rehome the dog, there are millions of them being put down. this breed is persecuted all over the globe because of owners that think like you. This breed was never meant to protect or attack people. This breed was not mean to look vicious or incredible huge, this breed was created to love people and please its family. Also to combat in the pit but since that is no longer legal you only have one real reason.
umm where to start i know way more about PROTECTION DOGS then you i have owned many CANARY DOGS THAT HAVE weight 100+ pounds and if you know anything about anything you would know that CHAMP is being sent off to PROTECTION dog school so hes can love peopl all he wants but the commands he will learn just like the many CANARY dogs i have owned will be ATTACK and SPEAK(bark) and stand so even though since im new to the APBT i have owned way more PROTECTION/dangerous dog breeds than you all i ask was what did you all think hes head size would be
so even thought your a stupid dog owner that thinks you know eveything about eveything GET A LIFE and do use all a favor and give your little mut a ew home and fix YOU LACK OF KNOWLEGE

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1)

your so stupid how could you say that APBT do not have BIG heads and mucleclar frames i may be NEW TO THE APBT but i know a little something of alot of stuff have you ever owned a TRAINED PROTECTION DOG umm i bet not and heres a list of all the GAURDIING BREEDS I HAVE OWNED CANARY DOG,dogo,doberman,mastiff and a (boxer but he was just a barker)
so yeah i think u have made my point and right now i own 1 APBT 1 BOXER 4 coonhounds ^ beagles and one bird dog and a bassetr hound and if you want me to post pics ill be more that happy to

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
STOP!!!! As he stated he's new to Pit Bulls. There are ways to address his questions without beating on the person. If someone is new to Pit Bull's they may not know the difference between an APBT, AmBully or AmStaff. There are several portent members here on gp that do protection work with their APBT's. How is someone going to learn or want to be part of this forum if all you're going to do is jump them. JMO! :mad:

·
Registered
195 Posts
STOP!!!! As he stated he's new to Pit Bulls. There are ways to address his questions without beating on the person. If someone is new to Pit Bull's they may not know the difference between an APBT, AmBully or AmStaff. There are several portent members here on gp that do protection work with their APBT's. How is someone going to learn or want to be part of this forum if all you're going to do is jump them. JMO! :mad:
I agree, But i have to see where these other people are coming from. The OP just sounds ignorant.

I think everyone needs to lighten up and choose a better way to inform people of their mistakes. Once you jump on someone and make them defensive, then everything you say is going to go through one ear and out the other.

An OP, if your going to disrespect someone because they are giving you sound information, then i suggest you go live in a closet. You cant flip off the handle everytime someone says something that you dont agree with.

My answer to your question is this,

A pitbull is a horrible guard dog. To teach him to be HA is going against the grain. Years and years of breeding has taught the APBT to be a human companion. All your going to do is create a unstable dog IMO

IF you wanted a protection dog, then you should have gotten a Jack Russell Terrier. Arent they number one in the country for dog bites? haha

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
:goodpost:

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
to the op,there really is no way to guess as to what their head size will be.It all depends on bloodlines,genetics,etc.... APBT's come in alot of different shapes and sizes.
I can't tell you what mine was because I've never measured their heads.

As far as if he's big for 5 months,I would say for an apbt yes.For an Ambully,no.Which may be what you have.
To the outside person,or noob if you will,the ambully looks one in the same as an apbt.Mainly because that's what breeders pass them off as.But sometimes because some of them do look just like bigger versions of the apbt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
to the op,there really is no way to guess as to what their head size will be.It all depends on bloodlines,genetics,etc.... APBT's come in alot of different shapes and sizes.
I can't tell you what mine was because I've never measured their heads.

As far as if he's big for 5 months,I would say for an apbt yes.For an Ambully,no.Which may be what you have.
To the outside person,or noob if you will,the ambully looks one in the same as an apbt.Mainly because that's what breeders pass them off as.But sometimes because some of them do look just like bigger versions of the apbt.
well champ didnt come with papers but MY BEST FRIEND ALSO THE BREEDER says hes a game bred APBT hes moma is a trained PROTECTION dog and his daddy is used for there catch dog for hog hunting. my friend talked me into getting him because his moma is such a good protection dog that he should be the same

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Are you talking about Schutzhund? Does she do bite work and agility shows?

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Are you talking about Schutzhund? Does she do bite work and agility shows?
i believe he is talking about real protection, teaching the dog to protect the owner and property on command. Yes some apbt make good based on the love for the owner, master. in light of the head question no real answer from me, all I can say is a apbt or bully does have a great deal of muscle behind the head at the top of the neck.(making the head seem larger around ) so it can grow with work like spring pole or heavy tug and bite work. Which is why i assume you have interest in the size of his head, seeing that it will help him to have a good bite?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Wow really guys? No one here has ever wondered about head size? I am interested in my dogs head size. Does it mean anything? Nope. I just like pittie heads. They are big and cute.

UKC Breed Standard Quote :
"The APBT head is unique and a key element of breed type. It is large and broad, giving the impression of great power,"

As for a protection dogs if you are doing actual bite work or protection training that is not the same as just having an untrained to for guard dog purposes. Not sure which the OP is up too.

How did Ambullies get in here? The dog looks nothing like an Ambully.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Wow really guys? No one here has ever wondered about head size? I am interested in my dogs head size. Does it mean anything? Nope. I just like pittie heads. They are big and cute.

UKC Breed Standard Quote :
"The APBT head is unique and a key element of breed type. It is large and broad, giving the impression of great power,"

As for a protection dogs if you are doing actual bite work or protection training that is not the same as just having an untrained to for guard dog purposes. Not sure which the OP is up too.

How did Ambullies get in here? The dog looks nothing like an Ambully.
Sorry some one brought up bully and yes head size is a major key to the look of the dog but also key to protection work, I also do protection with my boy as well as schutzhund. I also have measured my dogs head ( 21 and a half 17 at 8 months, if that helps) and at 1 year 3 months he is still growing. I was just stating that overall head size is critical in the biting or stopping power of a protection dog.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
Do the parents look like dog

A.)

or dog

B.)

If you have an APBT and not an AmericanBully then expect your dog to have a small head and be lean and if well conditioned muscular (Dog B).
If you have a bully (dog A) well, your gonna have a big dog. head, chest ect. but your not gonna know how big his head will be until he is a year old and then expect him to fill out untill he is 2 years.

have you meassured his head? maybe that can help some really knowledgable members on here with guessing his size.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
you have a Cute dog on your hands :) About head size though, sorry i have no Pittie yet so i can't help you there.....or about the protection either. But if you need help on anything else let me know and i'm sure i can help you in another department! (I've been steered by the best) :D Seeya round'!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.