Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so this is what's been happening: whenever i leave out to go to work or i have something i need to go and do ill put diesel in his crate. here recently every thing that is in his crate that is not made of metal is DESTROYED....
from dog bowls to blankets but what beats me is ill throw like 5 or 6 toys in there with him, turn the tv on so he will have a distraction. is this a phase that any dog goes threw or do i have a really big bad problem on my hands?:(

DIESEL THE DESTROYER??hope not for long:)

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
It sounds like he might have a bit of separation anxiety--or he could just be a puppy (not sure how old he is).

Toys I recommend for crates that are hard to destroy: kongs, antlers, chuck-it balls.

eta: Is Diesel destroying his crate? Or just the things in it? Some dogs will start to chew on their crate and end up bending the bars, etc, to get out.

It also might help to exercise him before you put him in his crate. Take him out for a game of fetch for a 1/2 hour - 45 mins to get him running and tired by the time he has to go in his crate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he is a little over 10 months old, he is not destroying his crate, just things in his crate that should not be destroyed, such as dog bowls, blankets so on and so forth. the little handle that was on it he managed to chew it off. he knows not to get out if i tell him to get in it, and when i go feed deer and what not for 20 minutes or so i can hear him insied the house barking and im a good 75 yards away.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I personally don't put chews or toys in Kane's crate when he's in there. Only a few blankets and his water bowl.

Not worth the potential for a choking hazard - however unlikely it might be. I also can't make sure he doesn't eat them if i'm not there.

Sounds like he just needs more exercise - how much activity are you Diesel doing?

I walk Kane an average of 3-4.5 miles a day. Depending on if we do 2 or 3 long walks (1.5'ish miles each time). And I can tell you, I see a BIIIGGGG difference in his behavior on days I don't walk, and even on the 3 vs 4.5 mile days. And God forbid we miss a few days of exercise....(Kane is 11.5 months).

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Ok. I would say up his exercise before you put him in there and also, don't put anything extra in there.

My boy chewed and destroyed everything in there up until the age of a year to 14 months. So he just didn't get anything. No blankets, no water dish, nothing except a kong. It's not absolutely necessary that dogs get a blanket or a water dish unless they develop sore spots on their elbows or whatever. And for me, with a dog that was an excitement/submissive pee'er, I didn't give him water in his crate because it increased the chances he'd pee when I let him out of his crate.

Your dog needs to earn the right to have a blanket and a water dish in his crate. Once he matures some more, feel free to put them back in there. Kane has a blanket in his crate now that I know he won't destroy it.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
thats funny... because my Diesel i wanted to name Damage at first.. we decided on Diesel though.. within the first month being home i wanted to change his name to Damage because it would have been more fitting.. lol.. was already used to calling his name though

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
I'm too paranoid to leave any toys in my dogs crates lol.. they do get kongs in there occasionally, but the older ones never chew on them, they lick the stuff out and then just leave em there. now my pup (4 months old) will chew and destroy anything in there, so he gets nothing. lol. yeah i would agree with what others suggested, get him tired before putting him in!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
so no toys, much more exercise as in a 2 mile walk before 12:30 pm and good things come to those who wait

k8nkane- i see exactly were you are coming from with that i will pull all that stuff out and it be just the crate-thats what you are saying correct??

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Pretty much. It's mostly maturity at this point, although there are some dogs that will always destroy everything in their crate.

IMO, it's cruel to put a dog, especially an active puppy, in a crate without a sturdy toy like an XXL red kong or a blank kong or something for them to chew on and keep themselves occupied with. You can fill the kong with peanut butter or melted cheese so he's busy licking at it and not chewing on it too much. Make sure you take his collar off before you put him in the crate.

If he doesn't get better about staying in his crate over time, you might consider re-crate training him. Making sure he re-learns that crate = good things, like treats etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would say he probably needs exercise also!!! Though I do put toys in Luna's crate. But only a kong or another similar toy that cannot be destroyed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i appreciate every thing yall have told me and i will start all this today!!! Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Be glad he's destroying only what's in his crate and not the crate itself. I have one that went through crates like diapers until I had to invest in one of those aluminum crates and that thing wasn't cheap LOL. I don't leave toys in the crates unless I am home but I do have blankets in all the dog's crates and they also eat in their crates as well. You can try more exercise some of these dog's are just built to destroy stuff I have one LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts