Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 8 month old female pit
And she stared chasing her tail a few months ago , and I don't know how to stop her . She hits her head against walls doors and whatever she encounters I'm afraid she's going to get a contusion can someone please help me !!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
i was reading about this a few months ago... i forget where.
but in younger dogs it's usually just a form of play. however, if the behavior is compulsive and the dog only stops from exhaustion or injury, then there may be more serious issues. most likely anxiety and less likely a genetic or neurological disorder.
i suggest starting with obedience training and getting her on a strict routine of exercise. this will eliminate the extra energy she has to act out. be patient. but if the behavior persists you may have to explore more specific corrections like intervening the tail chase with a toy or action. last resort would be to consult a vet for drug therapy (but i'm not really a fan of this method unless absolutely necessary).
good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
i was reading about this a few months ago... i forget where.
but in younger dogs it's usually just a form of play. however, if the behavior is compulsive and the dog only stops from exhaustion or injury, then there may be more serious issues. most likely anxiety and less likely a genetic or neurological disorder.
i suggest starting with obedience training and getting her on a strict routine of exercise. this will eliminate the extra energy she has to act out. be patient. but if the behavior persists you may have to explore more specific corrections like intervening the tail chase with a toy or action. last resort would be to consult a vet for drug therapy (but i'm not really a fan of this method unless absolutely necessary).
good luck.
:goodpost: our heeler mix chases her tail if she doesnt get enough exercise. She has anxiety issues. She has to be worn out or she is a ball of crazy lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Yeah you should be able to tell OCD over some fun by how easy you are able to get her to redirect her attention. If she is playful she should also play with you if it's more anxiety she will want to just chase her tail.

Today a dog I walked at the shelter was chasing her tail in her shadow lol. It's was a riot. She kept following it and then the sun went behind a cloud and no more shadow :( it was funny though.

Sent from Petguide.com App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts