Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this last night on TV and went and looked more into it today found some good articles on it and what its about. They are working on a chemical contraceptive for female dogs now that kill the eggs without having to have the uterus removed and having the dog put under and having to go through surgery. They already have one for males it just isnt available in the USA right now the one they had had some marketing issues and was pulled and now is marketed under a new name . Here is one of the articles
Drug may revolutionize control of dog population

here is an article I believe this was the one originally pulled off the shelves and renamed, they are looking to start offering this again come 2012 in the USA.
Alliance for Contraception in Cats and Dogs - News, Updates, Press Releases, Media Coverage

wanted to know what everyone thinks of this ? do you see this as an option for you in the future?
I know for me I would have to see a long time study done on the effects of this , I wouldnt be one of the 1st to be trying this out but maybe 20 years from now I may look at this as an option. I just wonder how easy this will be if its a 1 time shot or pill or if its more then that , how easy will it be for someone to get there hands on it? I would worry about at shows , people sabotaging dogs and other breeders making so they cant breed there champs ect {although there are a few in the ring that wouldnt hurt having this done LOL ;) } But would deff make me more aware of who is comming up to my dog or to those who have to leave dogs in crates while showing another. Hopefully there is more to it then just a pill or 1 shot ect.
This does look to be a great benefit for the shelters though ,alot more cost efficient. I just wonder , we know some shelters are very shady and especially with our breed if they happen to pick up a stray or something before the owners get there they slip the dog a pill , with no physical distinction like you would have with a surgery really they could get away with this, or the yards they unjustifyably raid quicky slip them pills and shots and then when they have to give the dogs back ,oh well right? I can see bad things from this as well as the good , would like to see how this all plays out.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
I've never heard of the injection that you're talking about for bitches to permanently sterilize them, but I do know that when I was around 12 my grandmother here in the USA had her male GSD neutered using this Neutersol, and from this article I found that there is a new drug coming out that temporarily sterilizes males called Suprelorin:

Alternative to Neutering | eHow.com

I do know that there was a surge of competitive dog people who administered Cheque drops to their bitches which prevents the heat cycle so that they could quickly title their dogs.

Canine Reproduction from DogHobbyist.com

The Use of Mibolerone (Cheque Drops) in Dogs

Preventing Season in Bitches

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shot for the females is in the works still and hasnt come out yet , Ithink the 1st link i put up there talks about it.
Did your grandma see any side effects using neutersol on her GSD?
thanks for those links Ill check them out.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow those drops for the females seem top carry alot of risks I wouldnt take with my dog. I dont get if you want your dog intact just deal with it putting them at risk like that your better off just getting them fixed.
This new injection if it comes into play might be another option for those wanting to show but not breed and deal with heats could just get them chemically fixed. That implant looks interesting too you canhave it implanted and then removed at a later date if you chose to breed them.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
No, they didn't have any issues with the Neutersol at all. I think what "sold" my grandmother on the idea is because they didn't have to pts Griz.

Yes, there are some serious possible side effects of the Chem Drops and I wouldn't personally do it, but to each his own. Dogs are property I reckon.

I wrapped myself all up in learning about the different methods of litter prevention and procreation methods a few years back when Indigo was artificially inseminated.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
The way I figure it.... with all of the different methods of sterilization we have available to us this day in age there is ZERO reason for accidental litters. I have no sympathy for people who say "the risks of putting my dog to sleep are too this or that"

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
The way I figure it.... with all of the different methods of sterilization we have available to us this day in age there is ZERO reason for accidental litters. I have no sympathy for people who say "the risks of putting my dog to sleep are too this or that"
:goodpost: the more option the better

I agree, could be very risky, but everything carried risk back in the day. Things change and medicine moves at a rapid pace, so the more options the better for people. One thing though is who knows what damage it might do, but that can be said for every procedure I guess.

As far as sabotaging others can't that already happen one way or another with something already? If people are dirty, they are just wrong and gonna find one way or another to start trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts