Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tie my 50# pitbull out when she needs to go to the bathroom. She is a "runner." When other dogs are out, she pulls so hard that she is coughing when I let her back in. I don't want her to have permanent damage to her throat. Yes, I know that obedience class or a fenced in yard would be the perfect solution. Please tell me what kind of harness to purchase for her so she won't have any pulling on her throat. I also plan on leaving this harness on while she is in the house.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Harnesses are not what I would recommend since they just teach the dog to pull stead of fixing the problem. Also you don't want to use those no pull harnesses as they pull the body out of alignment and can cause more damage to the neck and spine and not worth it. If you don't want to take the dog to the obvious training classes and fix the problem. The best solution is a prong collar and the dog will not want to pull against it and will not hurt it's throat by pulling on it. That's the lazy quick fix.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If the OP is just talking about a tool to secure the dog to a stationary object when it is outside alone...I don't really see how a harness would encourage pulling as the dog isn't actually trying to go anywhere fast...

but if the dog does see another dog and bolts running full out until it hits the end of the line (which I think the OP is saying) I personally would much prefer to have my dog brought up short by a harness as opposed to a prong collar...a good, strong, thick strapped leather secured from the back harness...I just think that would do the least amount of damage to the dog.

*when my dog was a puppy, before we had our yard fenced I had her outside on a long line (secured to a post) with a mesh harness with those plastic slide clips. I was outside playing with her...then she saw a squirrel and bolted, hit the end of the line and the impact was actually hard enough to cause the harness clips to pop put. She sat there stunned for a minute not quite sure what happened, then shook it off...but if I hadn't been right there...she was "free from the harness" and no longer tethered.

Now if the OP were talking about taking the dog out and walking it...that would be a different story.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I'm all for someone who has other ideas to help out but when they are potentially dangerous that's no bueno! When giving advice, what works for you, isn't always what is right or is going to work with all dogs.

A harness on a tie out is an incredibly bad idea. Dogs can back out of a harness or get twisted up. Like you stated they can also pop off it. That is not secure. If you have to tie a dog out you do what the other pit bull owners who tether dogs do.... Get a good collar. I would suggest one from Nizmo's supply you need a 1.5" or 2" collar to support the neck so you don't have that choking at the end of the tether. Also if your dog had a proper collar the dogs don't choke themselves with a wider collar that could solve your problem right there.
Nizmos K9 Supply

As far as walking goes the ideal thing is too take your dog to obedience school and teach them the right way. The lazy quick fix way is a prong collar. Prongs are safe if used correctly.
Here is a video on how to properly fit a prong collar.
How to Fit a Prong Collar

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
lol look who became a dog trainer over night....

I'm all for someone who has other ideas to help out but when they are potentially dangerous that's no bueno! When giving advice, what works for you, isn't always what is right or is going to work with all dogs.

A harness on a tie out (which is not indicated in the OP) is an incredibly bad idea. Dogs can back out of a harness or get twisted up. Like you stated they can also pop off it. That is not secure. If you have to tie a dog out you do what the other pit bull owners who tether dogs do.... Get a good collar. I would suggest one from Nizmo's supply you need a 1.5" or 2" collar to support the neck so you don't have that choking at the end of the tether. Also if your dog had a proper collar the dogs don't choke themselves with a wider collar that could solve your problem right there.
Nizmos K9 Supply

As far as walking goes the ideal thing is too take your dog to obedience school and teach them the right way. The lazy quick fix way is a prong collar. Prongs are safe if used correctly.
Here is a video on how to properly fit a prong collar.
How to Fit a Prong Collar
i think you misunderstood what the OP said. this dog is tied up. you would leave a prong on a tied up dog? i have dogs who dont pull on leash but pull the hell out of a tie out. a bigger collar has been the only thing thats ever worked for me when dogs are tied out outside.

i have a nizmo collar and i like the extra padding you can buy with his. it works and saves the dog from rubbing their neck raw

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I see where she said tie out I missed that! No in my post I talked about proper tethering would be on a 1.5 or 2" collar not a prong. Walking would be a prong collar. There it's edited.... I haven't had my coffee yet and i'm a bit crabby lol.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I see where she said tie out I missed that! No in my post I talked about proper tethering would be on a 1.5 or 2" collar not a prong. Walking would be a prong collar. There it's edited.... I haven't had my coffee yet and i'm a bit crabby lol.
still good on you for pointing out the collar. saved my dogs' neck for sure, these dogs will rub their neck bloody if given the chance

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes you are a bit crabby.

The way your post was worded you were suggesting putting a prong collar on a tethered dog; and even in my inexperience, I felt the need to point out that that was bad and dangerous advice.

I appreciate that that is not what you thought you were saying, but that is what you said, that is how I took it and that is how I'm sure may others took it.

So yes in the OP's situation a strong, wide leather collar would be ideal; however we don't know what kind of collar the OP is using. If she is having problems with the dog choking and wants to try a strong, well fitted leather harness for the times she puts the dog out on a tether to potty...I doubt that would be the end of the world...in my inexperienced opinion only of course.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
A harness on a tie out is dangerous bottom line, even a well fitted harness can come be backed out of. Also it attaches to the body and more of a chance for the legs to get caught up on a dog who is running around. You can spend over $200 dollars on a leather harness depending on what you find or you can spend $17 including shipping and get a collar that was designed for a tether.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
A harness on a tie out is dangerous bottom line, even a well fitted harness can come be backed out of. Also it attaches to the body and more of a chance for the legs to get caught up on a dog who is running around. You can spend over $200 dollars on a leather harness depending on what you find or you can spend $17 including shipping and get a collar that was designed for a tether.
i agree, dont harness a dog on tie out. every dog ive tried that on has chewed them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts