Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed this for about a year now.

He usually starts off by licking his paw, usually the front ones. Licks and licks, then eventually begins to chew the skin off. Literally. That rough skin exterior and usually lumps until the akin grows back.

So I've checked his paw, when he first licks it. Inspect it as best I can to find anything either stuck or that might cause him pain, but nothing. So when he does rip his skin off I check again to find anything needle like to help him..:but nothing! And then for a couple weeks there he is limping around because it obviously hurts, since there is no protective rough exterior and its his bare tissue.
I tell him to stop and he does, but obviously I can't watch him all day so he does it when I leave for work.

Do dogs do this regularly? Because my other two don't. And It almost seems like he gets in a trance when he starts and won't stop till he rips off all his skin. Maybe I need a magnifyingglass to see something......

Help me if you can, and thank you for giving it some thought.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
would think allergy of some sort. this would be my best guess , our lab rotty had this same issue and the vet said it was canine Atopy. I found a link that explains it a bit better so I wouldnt have to go into in detail. Hope this helps.
Home-Atopy In Dogs

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
My boy does that during allergy season. Is he shaking his head more than normal? Like trying to itch his ears? Put my boy on benadryl and he stopped pretty instantly. Look in health section for pk's tempest allergy sticky in health and nutrition and see if that could be the issue as well. On my phone or i would post it.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
My guess is an allergy of some sort but it does not sound like a sever allergy like food related. When he starts licking it could be due to a contact allergy or reaction and I would wash his feet with dawn dish soap. It strips the feet of any allergens and oils that could be causing a reaction. If I read your post right he does not do it all the time but from time to time. So he could be stepping into something that is irritating the foot. The next step would be to treat with benadryl and see if it helps clear it up. Benadryl dosage is 1mg per pound so each pill is 25mgs so if he is 40-60 pounds give 2 pills. Do that twice a day for a week or two after you washed the feet and see if it helps. If it does you have your answer, an allergy. That is the cheapest and easiest place to start.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
besides allergies, could be boredom, too. Some dogs get lick granulomas from excessive licking. Try giving kong filled with peanut butter, or something to keep him busy. Toys that can hold kibble are great! (just remember to not overfeed!)

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
My guess is an allergy of some sort but it does not sound like a sever allergy like food related. When he starts licking it could be due to a contact allergy or reaction and I would wash his feet with dawn dish soap. It strips the feet of any allergens and oils that could be causing a reaction. If I read your post right he does not do it all the time but from time to time. So he could be stepping into something that is irritating the foot. The next step would be to treat with benadryl and see if it helps clear it up. Benadryl dosage is 1mg per pound so each pill is 25mgs so if he is 40-60 pounds give 2 pills. Do that twice a day for a week or two after you washed the feet and see if it helps. If it does you have your answer, an allergy. That is the cheapest and easiest place to start.
besides allergies, could be boredom, too. Some dogs get lick granulomas from excessive licking. Try giving kong filled with peanut butter, or something to keep him busy. Toys that can hold kibble are great! (just remember to not overfeed!)
:woof: :woof: :goodposting:'s yep yep... nuttin to add :roll:in on~

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure lucky to have such a great community that genuinely cares. I will deft give all of these a try

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an article on my blog about this. you can find it on my nutra-9 website off hand I know it involves a special (find at the drug store) iodine soak

1 - 9 of 9 Posts