Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read in another thread about someone buying a pup that the breeders keep the breeding rights to.How does this usually work?Do you ship them the dog when they are ready to breed it and then they ship back later after it has had and cared for the pups?Or do they tell you who you are to breed it to and you do everything?And who keeps the pups you or the breeder?
Just kinda curious as to how it all works.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
It will vary between what the breeder wants. I own both Crixus and Xena on co-owns with Lisa having their breeding rights.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
im used to the kennel keeping rights until the dog ch's out

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
It depends on the breeder not all are a great deal some are very demanding. I co-own all my dogs with breeding rights. If I want to breed the dog I co-own with you (for example) I would pay all shipping costs, if it was a male I might considering having you send me chilled sperm for AI's it would be cheaper. If it was a female I would want her back here to breed then whelp the litter. When picks are being made if you wanted one you could pick one after my picks, or like with Holly I am sending her my picks so I have access to them without taking up kennel room. This is something you have to talk with the breeder I know some breeders that will make you pay for a pup out of your own dog and I think that is wrong. Maybe just expenses but not full price!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
or like with Holly I am sending her my picks so I have access to them without taking up kennel room.
:rofl: This is why I had to upgrade in property size!

Most breeders I would be very leery of doing a co-own with so do your research well before walking into one.
I like Lisa a lot and she is a very reasonable down to earth REAL person to deal with so I have had no issues and see no issues ever coming for our co-owning of dogs ( obviously since I have more on the way lmao), but I don't know a single other breeder I would co-own a dog with. (other than Rampage ;))

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
wow, so you pay $1k and get no say in what happens to your dog or at least get 1st pick? who does the puppies belong to once born?

i understand the co-own until ch just to be sure the dog conforms before breeding but what youre describing is alot

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Co-ownership is not for everyone that's for sure. I am picky where my dogs go and one main reason for keeping breeding rights is I do not want people breeding my dog and making unwanted pets. I am responsible for all offspring my dogs produce and I want to make sure they go to good homes. When the pups are sold they are sold on Co-own with me and I would share any let over money minus my expenses. Another reason I co-own is look what happened to my dog Barca. I placed him in a kennel who has show AST's, he was too much dog for them and I had to fight to get him back, they wanted to put him down. I got him back and he is one of the best dogs on my yard.

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
Exactly! Barca is a good example of why breeders co-own. Poor baby almost lost his life because she didn't understand him.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Co-ownership is not for everyone that's for sure. I am picky where my dogs go and one main reason for keeping breeding rights is I do not want people breeding my dog and making unwanted pets. I am responsible for all offspring my dogs produce and I want to make sure they go to good homes. When the pups are sold they are sold on Co-own with me and I would share any let over money minus my expenses. Another reason I co-own is look what happened to my dog Barca. I placed him in a kennel who has show AST's, he was too much dog for them and I had to fight to get him back, they wanted to put him down. I got him back and he is one of the best dogs on my yard.
thanks for the explanation, makes sense now. if i were to start a kennel im sure it would be private/friends only.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the responses guys!I can understand a breeder doing a co-own.If I was a breeder that's what I would do too.
In the thread I was talking about the owner of the dog was researching genetics to understand better who he wanted to take his female to.And that's what got me thinking about it.I couldn't understand how a breeder would still carry the breeding rights but then let the owner pick who gets to be bred to the dog.Now in this certain case I would fully trust this owner with making the right decision,but that would be an exception to the rule.There are way too many people out there who do not understand how stuff works or how it should be done.
I can totally understand when a breeder takes the dog back and then welps the litter themselves.However I would not be for taking care of the puppies and then having to split costs with a breeder for what you get for the puppies.If I'm taking care of them then I would want to get my money back.lol

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
what we have going with Lowla's co-own is we will all agree on male. she will be health tested, split the first litter. Then she's pretty much ours..
im not too keen on co-owns im finding out...
my picks will be not be going to homes til 4months, if there are some that arent of MY liking then i will send them pon s/n. the ones that i do not keep will only go out on co-owns

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input Trevor.I didn't know if you would want me mentioning you specifically in regards to the thread I was talking about.
So you have to keep all puppies till they are 16 weeks?And then you send half of the pups to the breeder and keep the other half to do with as you see fit?Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
the coown we had with pep was for half of a litter , becasue we cared for her and whelped the litter we had 1st pick and the coowner took the even number picks , but we did all the care of the pups and mother for the entire time. personally I would never do another coown again { maybe cause this guy was such an ***} might be better if it was with someone who is ethical and honest and split the workload ect. But this experience has ruined my opinion on them , id rather own the dog out right or not at all. It isnt for everyone thats for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Make sure you trust the breeder and both agree on everything in the co-own agreement and it can work out just fine. Every agreement is usually individualized between breeder and co-owner.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Truthfully CO owns freak me out. LOL I just don't trust to many people that well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can understand the benefits to the breeder but not for the co-owner, it seems like their just paying to provide room and board to the breeders dog.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts