Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three bull dogs, a mother and two one year old pups.Two have great coats. One has sporadic long hair. It has not always been like this. It has been real wet here this summer. I do not know if that has anything to do with it or not. First I thought worms but I deworm monthly. Years ago I had something similar but I cant remember what the vet gave me. ( It was do ta damp conditions) any help!

·
Super Moderator
4,578 Posts
Long hair due to damp conditions or worms?
If you could, please post a few pics. Of her, and her living arrangements if she is outside.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
"sporadic long hair" is not a medical condition. longer fur is not a health concern. it's not good. it's not bad.
it's probably a trait that comes from cross breeding with longer coat breeds.

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
Blowing coat is the first thing I thought when I heard longer hairs mixed in. But we do need pics to figure it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK she is not a mix breed! I have had these dogs for twenty years. Pictures wont show you. You need to be very close and the hairs are 1/4" longer than the rest of her coat. And for the one that said its not a medical condition, If you don't have an idea why post anything. Her living conditions are a log chain, just like I have kept bulldogs for 20 years. but are rain fall is 20" above average.

·
Super Moderator
4,578 Posts
Where are these long hairs?
Maybe they are just gaurd hairs. I've seen some dogs have longer hair around their scruff and cheeks. Some dogs also grow wiskers in random places too. Ecko has wiskers on his cheeks and under his chin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The long hairs are on her torso, not on her legs or face. I may try to take a pic tonight but im not sure how it will turn out. Thanks

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Ok yes, pictures will definitely help! :)

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Diesel has some longer hairs around his neck, not much, and they are not that much longer. They sound a lot like what you are describing, but I think that is his "puppy" hair and will eventually change, I could be wrong, did yours have it since he was a puppy?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
278 Posts
Diesel has some longer hairs around his neck, not much, and they are not that much longer. They sound a lot like what you are describing, but I think that is his "puppy" hair and will eventually change, I could be wrong, did yours have it since he was a puppy?

Mine is a puppy and she has it around her neck. Sounds to me like she grew a small extra few hairs to adapt to the weather but, that could just be something cool I made uo in my head:D

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
OK she is not a mix breed! I have had these dogs for twenty years. Pictures wont show you. You need to be very close and the hairs are 1/4" longer than the rest of her coat. And for the one that said its not a medical condition, If you don't have an idea why post anything. Her living conditions are a log chain, just like I have kept bulldogs for 20 years. but are rain fall is 20" above average.
relax.
my point is that longer fur is not a "symptom" of something wrong. you are worried for no reason. worms or any other parasite would not cause a longer coat. neither does rainfall.
lower temperature and pregnancy are the only things that stimulate general hair growth in mammals. and that usually effects the thickness of undercoat and not the overall length.
i was trying to give you good news. your dog is not sick. but if you insist on worrying and making up things... go right ahead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts