Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl is just a little over 1 now and she is very hard to walk I use a slip collar now but she doesnt get phazed when you pop the leash she just keeps pulling until she chokes herself. What can I do about this I have heard about the prong collars how do they work?? I really need to fix this asap she is terrible to walk with and everyone asks who is walking who it is not fun especially when she weights 65 lbs and I am about 185!! lol

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Prong collars are used with a quick pop for correction. If you search for prong collar here on GP you will find many threads about them.

This is how to properly fit the collar.
Leerburg | How to fit a Prong Collar

·
Registered
30 Posts
The prong collar works great for me. My dog is almost 80lbs and is very strong. He has to pee on every pole and mailbox we go by and will drag you with him if he can. With the prong collar he only pulls hard if he spots another animal. He also could care less about the slip collars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How bout using a harness? it should help with the choking noises.. Im not a fan of the "prong collars" , but... guess they work good for others..

·
Registered
19 Posts
If your already using a choke collar and it's not working I would work on training her instead of buying a collar that will choke her even more. When you walk her don't move if she's pulling it takes a while to train but you get results if your patient also use a short lead I like to walk my dog with about two feet of lead so that she can't walk in front of me, as soon as the lead gets tight I give it a quick jerk and she backs off.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Prong collars are used with a quick pop for correction. If you search for prong collar here on GP you will find many threads about them.

This is how to properly fit the collar.
Leerburg | How to fit a Prong Collar
:goodpost: I've used prong collars on virtually every dog i've owned and/or trained. Excellent collar, responsive if used properly. They are not however for "soft" dogs that are sensitive to training tools and methods. A dog that shuts down when using "harder" methods will be counter productive and you are literally taking 2 - 3 steps back in confidence as well as control.

If your already using a choke collar and it's not working I would work on training her instead of buying a collar that will choke her even more. When you walk her don't move if she's pulling it takes a while to train but you get results if your patient also use a short lead I like to walk my dog with about two feet of lead so that she can't walk in front of me, as soon as the lead gets tight I give it a quick jerk and she backs off.
Prong collars do not "choke" further, instead when used properly give a pinch. Learning how to walk properly is a part of training and in my opinion its best to tackle problems as they arise (best if caught early) vs. putting on a back burner and moving on to something else.

I do agree with you on the traffic lead however, the longest leash i have is 4' while most of mine are 2', even have a 1' for vet visits or in other potential stressful environments. Further your dog is away from you the greater the risk of loss control.

·
Registered
19 Posts
:goodpost: I've used prong collars on virtually every dog i've owned and/or trained. Excellent collar, responsive if used properly. They are not however for "soft" dogs that are sensitive to training tools and methods. A dog that shuts down when using "harder" methods will be counter productive and you are literally taking 2 - 3 steps back in confidence as well as control.

Prong collars do not "choke" further, instead when used properly give a pinch. Learning how to walk properly is a part of training and in my opinion its best to tackle problems as they arise (best if caught early) vs. putting on a back burner and moving on to something else.

I do agree with you on the traffic lead however, the longest leash i have is 4' while most of mine are 2', even have a 1' for vet visits or in other potential stressful environments. Further your dog is away from you the greater the risk of loss control.
I did not know how prong collars worked but now I do. I was just saying that if his dog is out of control don't expect a collar will make her stop pulling especially if he's already tried one type. I've seen so many people but there dogs on chains and in cages and stop walking them just because they pull not realizing that the problem is that they didn't ever teach there dog to walk properly and they just give up on them and don't even try.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
If you are using a slip chain and your dog is choking take it off now and never use it again. They are really dangerous for dogs and can cause all kinds of problems.
ready this
http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/38918-prong-vs-slip-dangers-slip-chains.html

I am a trainer and I use prongs all the time and they can be a great tool but for the right dogs. Lets look at collar options for dogs

flat buckle collar- great for a dogs ID tags and fine for sensitive dogs but hard pullers will never walk well till after they are trained.

Slip chain, 95% of people use them wrong and the the does end up choking on them, they are also dangerous and can cause fractures of the neck and spine, see above link.

Harnesses do not teach the dogs not to pull and you have no control over the dog.

easy walker harnesses or no pull harness can jar a dogs neck and back out of alignment and cause damage to the spine, no recommend.

Head Halties- same thing they can cause sever neck and nerve damage by pulling the neck out of alignment, also spine damage.

Martingales- There are my next go to collar they are pretty safe and work by putting pressure around the neck evenly just like a prong collar but without the prongs.

Prong collar- Best option for a hard puller and stops pulling if used right with in a few corrections. Some times prongs are too corrective for some dogs and in that case you look at flat buckle collars or martingale's.

When using any collar on a dog if you want to stop pulling there are several ways to do so. The easiest was for hard pullers is to jerk and release with the leash to correct the dog for getting too far ahead. It is important to jerk or pop with the leash not just pull back. If you still have problems then enroll into an obedience class to get some more help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts